Rumor: Isles Making Serious Runs At Pacioretty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Larry Brooks of the New York Post shares a rumor in his Sunday column that qualifies as curious.

Brooks says the Montreal Canadiens are getting calls on forward Max Pacioretty and both the New York Islanders and Philadelphia Flyers are “taking serious runs at him.”

Ideally, Pacioretty is the kind of player Montreal GM Marc Bergevin would love to have around, but Brooks says coach Michel Therrien isn’t a big fan of his.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...-taking-serious-runs-at-acquiring-pacioretty/

Last edited:

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
Even if this rumor was to be true why on earth would we want another forward and not a goalie or d-man?

44086662.jpg

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Larry Brooks of the New York Post shares a rumor in his Sunday column that qualifies as curious.

Brooks says the Montreal Canadiens are getting calls on forward Max Pacioretty and both the New York Islanders and Philadelphia Flyers are “taking serious runs at him.â€
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...-taking-serious-runs-at-acquiring-pacioretty/

Well, that makes sense. We need a top 4 defenseman, so they are making a strong run for Patches the forward.

Yes. That's what separates our organization from bad ones: SMARTS.:silly:

scott99

May 13, 2005
"When there's an opportunity to acquire an average forward, you have to go get him"

Isn't Paccioretty their best forward (he's a good player, well above average), they get rid of him because the coach doesn't like his style of play ? Makes no sense. Plus Brooks' record on predicting trades is about as good as Incarcerated Bob's (hint, IB is worse than Eklund).

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Even if this rumor was to be true why on earth would we want another forward and not a goalie or d-man?

Mtl has a nice depth of dman. Maybe something comes in return. The question is...what do we have to give up?

Edit...they also have fucale

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
This guy knows isles fans are starving for some news , any news ...a good way to get some hits ...%*#k Snow and Wang

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
I should just root for the lowly panthers, add least they have a respected gm and try to make moves , Garf and wanger are a disgrace

Islander Prophet

Oct 31, 2010
London, UK
As much as Pacioretty is an amazing player and he would help our team lots, I don't see why giving up assets to get another forward would be a good idea right now...

Watch him trade Hamonic for Pacioretty.... :help:

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I mean, Pacioretty is a good player and would love to get him on our team. But he shouldn't be a priority at this point. We need defense man, I'm so tired of seeing this team blow leads. We don't need anymore forwards!!

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
I mean, Pacioretty is a good player and would love to get him on our team. But he shouldn't be a priority at this point. We need defense man, I'm so tired of seeing this team blow leads. We don't need anymore forwards!!

We do need forwards. We just are in zero position to trade assets for them , hence the reason the Vanek trade was one of the worst trades we have made in the past 10 years.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Josh Bailey goes for Max Pacioretty.

Montreal wants extra cash to keep P.K. Subban.

Isles need to get rid of a player who needs a change of scenery.
Obviously other assets need to be included from the Isles side. Most likely defensive prospect and a pick.

In my opinion, I would not help MTL in trying to keep P.K. Subban.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Josh Bailey goes for Max Pacioretty.

Montreal wants extra cash to keep P.K. Subban.

Obviously other assets need to be included from the Isles side. Most likely defensive prospect and a pick.

Bailey has negative value, so the defense prospect would need to be Reinhart and the pick would need to be a 1st rounder, and even than we still would probably need to add Lee

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
When I think of Pacioretty I think of the 2007 Draft. We had traded our first in the Ryan Smyth trade and the second in the Zednick deal.

Going into the final weekend of the season Toronto beat Montreal knocking Montreal out and giving us a chance to leapfrog Toronto with a win over the Devils which Dubie delivered on.

If we had a regulation loss we would have been in Montreal's draft slot. With their picks they selected Ryan McDonagh at 12 and PK Subban with their second. With a pick they got in a trade they selected Pacioretty at 22. Our selection at 15 went to Edmonton and they took Akex Plante. If we hadn't made those trades would we have finished out of the playoffs and been in Montreal's spot? A regulation loss to the Devils instead of the shootout win would have accomplished that. Would we have selected McDonagh or Subban? We'll never know.

For the record I'm still happy that we made the playoffs but in retrospect I realize that you don't accomplish it via the unsigned UFA route.

That is why you never trade a first round pick for an unsigned UFA unless you are a clueless, moronic, imbecilic, brain-dead GM who should be in the unemployment line.

We can blame Cappy all we want but realistically he didn't supply the players. In that draft Montreal gets McDonagh, Pacioretty and Subban in the first 2 rounds. In the meantime we get another midget D man Mark Katic in the 3rd. Subsequently we draft other physical D man in later years like Ness, Spurgeon and Kitchon (the latter 2 we don't even sign). Look at LA and Anaheim run all over us and you'll understand the GM is a major problem. Thankfully the last 2 years he addressed the size issue on Defense. Hopefully in the next five years he'll address our long term problem in goal.

fnfelon

Oct 12, 2013
Long Island
This is probably all bullspit; but perhaps they think they can't sign Vanek, so Pacioretty would be a replacement. The defense is not going to be solved by trade or FA signings. They are waiting for the kids to fill those spots. All I know is that we are too soft and too small up front and anything we can do to change that is alright by me. Look let's be realistic, it would take nothing short of a major miracle to turn this around this year, so if changes need to be made then have at it hoss.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
This is probably all bullspit; but perhaps they think they can't sign Vanek, so Pacioretty would be a replacement. The defense is not going to be solved by trade or FA signings. They are waiting for the kids to fill those spots. All I know is that we are too soft and too small up front and anything we can do to change that is alright by me. Look let's be realistic, it would take nothing short of a major miracle to turn this around this year, so if changes need to be made then have at it hoss.

I agree with this. As far as the defense goes, no one worth trading for seems to be on the block. And with Reinhart, Pulock, Pokka, Pelech and de Haan in the fold.... the Islanders organizational need is actually up front (other than in net).

This isn't to say that a trade for a defenseman wouldn't be welcome... or that it wouldn't be more of an improvement. Just that going forward, there is actually more of a need for talent up front.

michaelrc51

Jul 6, 2011
I think we would be better suited to sign a Dman or goalie but maybe that isn't possible right now. As long as we don't overpay here, why not upgrade a position?

I guess the real question if this is true is, is Garf going to add players where we need them or does he think this fixes any of our real issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad