Dreger: Islanders interested in Hanifin

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
This thread made me look up the Islanders cap friendly page, i then learned that Paul Ladue is part of the Islanders organization.
Always routed for that guy as a king.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Just said on the Leafs - Kraken TSN pre-game that the Islanders are interested in Hanifin and Hanifin might get the extension he wants that way.
Isles have Dobson, Pelech, Pullock, Romanov, plus Mayfield. I mean, that is kind of overdoing it on the D core, unless someone of that group of 5 is going back the other way. Can't have those 5 plus Hanifin on a fully healthy roster.

May not have a choice, Only two signed D beyond this season. Andersson and Weegar.
Can't let them all walk, and why bother extending them if they don't want to be here. More assets coming to Calgary in Tanev and Hanifin trades.
Kind of why Calgary took less to not retain on Zadorov. Keep all 3 retention slots open for Lindholm, Hanifin, and Tanev should they need it.

Reactions: Boomstick

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Isles have Dobson, Pelech, Pullock, Romanov, plus Mayfield. I mean, that is kind of overdoing it on the D core, unless someone of that group of 5 is going back the other way. Can't have those 5 plus Hanifin on a fully healthy roster.

Kind of why Calgary took less to not retain on Zadorov. Keep all 3 retention slots open for Lindholm, Hanifin, and Tanev should they need it.

The LD is a weakness for the Isles. Pelech is great, but he is getting hurt often to the point where some consider him a bit injury prone. Romanov is up and down, he has been a bit disappointing. Aho needs to be launched into the Sun and Bolduc is still not ready. Reilly is Reilly.

Dobson and Pulock are carrying the defense right now. Mayfield has been up and down too.

Adding Hanafin and a healthy Pelech could make the defense scary, especially if they make the playoffs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The LD is a weakness for the Isles. Pelech is great, but he is getting hurt often to the point where some consider him a bit injury prone. Romanov is up and down, he has been a bit disappointing. Aho needs to be launched into the Sun and Bolduc is still not ready. Reilly is Reilly.

Dobson and Pulock are carrying the defense right now. Mayfield has been up and down too.

Adding Hanafin and a healthy Pelech could make the defense scary, especially if they make the playoffs.
Wouldn't the cap space/assets be better spent bolstering the scoring up front though? Adding a Hanifin-level equivalent forward seems like a better play than adding to a position they're already relatively strong at, even with the inconsistencies they're seeing.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Along with this, he also said he heard teams asking about Ristolainen due to his strong play this season and a few other small things I can't remember.

Wow, this must have been a pretty impressive 48:52 minutes of hockey if these 3 GP inspired Ristolainen trade rumors.

FD8A5B4E-5EFD-489D-A69C-8706895918E0.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: BarzyClub

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wouldn't the cap space/assets be better spent bolstering the scoring up front though? Adding a Hanifin-level equivalent forward seems like a better play than adding to a position they're already relatively strong at, even with the inconsistencies they're seeing.

I'm just going by the logic of this supposed rumor and answering why Hanafin makes sense for the Isles. I do think the Isles need to upgrade on Reilly/Aho's #3LD spot and is probably the 2nd biggest need of the team. Dobson taking the next step has really saved the defense, but he's had games of 31 minutes, 29+ minutes, and another 27+ last night (3 games in 4 nights) so he needs some support. Hanafin is a luxury get, but it would be a drool worthy defense when Pelech is back healthy. Paired with the Sorokin/Varlamov combo, the Isles can play that "boring and killing hockey style" that so many hate. They just have to hope they generate enough offense. You know, the usual blueprint of Lou teams.

Adding an impact forward is the clear need so of course I'd prefer that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad