Speculation: Islanders General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Why do you say he is underperforming? He's got high Hockey IQ and as a third line centre, his past 2 years are 42 points and 47 respectively. This year is a bit low, but then again, that whole team is on a bender.

If Reinhart is truly available, then he is Buffalo's version of Strome. I also think the Isles would steer clear of the Reinhart family.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
I'd love to pick up Perrault as our 3C, he'd be absolutely perfect. That said, it is super unlikely the Jets trade him while they are in contention. They need to throw the "no playoff wins, ever" monkey off their backs, so they're not likely to move him.

I like the idea of Alex Edler, wouldn't be too expensive and would round out our top-4 nicely.

Also speaking of Vancouver, what do people think of picking Sam Gagner as a bottom-6 center? Could be had for very cheap, and always puts up points wherever he goes.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I remember wanting Edler years ago, but I have no idea what he is now. I'm totally ignorant of what he is present day. Is he a better fit than Mike Green?

I think he has a better two-way game than Green, and I think we need a lefty more than a righty. Him playing with Mayfield would be good. I believe he's playing with Tanev now so it won't be too much of a transition. I think they would take Hickey as an end-of-year replacement as well.

Leddy-Boychuk
Edler-Mayfield
deHaan-Pulock
Pelech/Seidenberg

Since Edler has another year left on his contract, the defense next year will be:

Leddy-Boychuk
Edler-Mayfield
Pelech-Pulock
UFA 7th defenseman (Johnny Oduya/Mark Barberio/Matt Irwin/Matt Bartkowski) or Toews

If Reinhart is truly available, then he is Buffalo's version of Strome. I also think the Isles would steer clear of the Reinhart family.

It's not talked about that much on here, but in 2014-15 when Griffin made the opening night roster, his dad went on the MSG broadcast and said, "my sons belong in the NHL", and said it with a little venom in his voice. Both Griffin and Sam were sent back down to the minors and juniors, respectively. I can't imagine he was pleasant to work with for the Isles organization. My gut tells me he helped orchestrate the Reinhart trade to Edmonton.

That all being said, I do not want Sam. He's enigmatic and there's no place for him here.

I'd love to pick up Perrault as our 3C, he'd be absolutely perfect. That said, it is super unlikely the Jets trade him while they are in contention. They need to throw the "no playoff wins, ever" monkey off their backs, so they're not likely to move him.

I like the idea of Alex Edler, wouldn't be too expensive and would round out our top-4 nicely.

Also speaking of Vancouver, what do people think of picking Sam Gagner as a bottom-6 center? Could be had for very cheap, and always puts up points wherever he goes.

I like Gagner, but he has two years left on his contract. I'd like to avoid that. He also isn't exactly what we're looking for. We need tougher, defensive guys.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
A lot of the smaller moves being talked about here are most often made at the deadline. And do we know if Snow is capable of making the great "chemistry" deadline acquisition? No point in shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic, as the saying goes. I'd rather see them look at the team's current and future needs and make one big deal that addresses both.

If we're talking about a transformative move, then I think it would be either a stud defenseman or goalie. Of all the names being thrown around, sign me up for OEL.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Agreed with those saying #1 priority should be defensive, PKing, 3C (so basically another Cizikas).

Guys like Smith and Pageau would be great but I'm not sure if they'd be available. If they aren't, I'd consider guys like Glendening, Richardson, and Plekanec who aren't great players but are good FO/PK/defensive forwards.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Went away for a few days, head is clearer, no Ross Johnston demands here LOL

Seriously, I don't think there is a player out there that would be the fix based on the roster construction and UFA situation next year. Isles are treading a thin line between cup run or semi rebuild. So dealing assets for a cup run leaves the cupboard bare for the possible mass exodus of 91, 12 and 44. But is there a player really on the market that is obtainable that will put us over

Defense - I believe the Isles know that Towes and Aho are NHL ready and will not bring them up this year to save time, and with 8 dmen there is no room. Pulock is getting better and have to hope a bottom pairing of Hickey Mouse and Boychuk works where Boychuk can cover up for Hickey Mouse's dangerous activities. Next year it is Leddy/Pulock, Toews/Boychuk, Aho/Pelech, with Mayfield in his favorite 7 spot, so I don't see any moves unless it is dealing Hickey Mouse and future for a rental like Green or even John Carlson if Washington were to die (ratsa ruck). Dealing CDH leaves a hole, if you are contending you keep CDH to the end.

Goalie, there is nothing on the market that is going to make that much of a difference over what we have, it is like we have Chad Johnson and Neuvirth, I still think Gibson may be better than the 2 we have, and if an opening comes up, it would be Isles-esque to make a run with an oddball goalie

Forwards - I think faceoffs are overrated if you look at the bottom teams. Vermette is horrible, Ducks fans describe him like Kulemin, a do nothing guy with one feature (faceoffs) Kulemin (PK). Perreault, the jets are contenders they are not dealing him, he is an annoying dude going back to that series on HBO with Wash vs pitt. Our top 6 is solid and we really need JHS and Beau to learn the game on the bottom 6 as they will be in the top 6 next season. The Fritz guy in the minors is probably a guy to look at, I saw B'port game, he looks like the best player on ice in those games, which means nothing in NHL land but he is decent on faceoffs and has some skills

I am OK with no moves outside of getting an arena, signing JT and Bailey, and would be OK if we shed Hickey Mouse for a rental

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
I think he has a better two-way game than Green, and I think we need a lefty more than a righty. Him playing with Mayfield would be good. I believe he's playing with Tanev now so it won't be too much of a transition. I think they would take Hickey as an end-of-year replacement as well.

Leddy-Boychuk
Edler-Mayfield
deHaan-Pulock
Pelech/Seidenberg

Since Edler has another year left on his contract, the defense next year will be:

Leddy-Boychuk
Edler-Mayfield
Pelech-Pulock
UFA 7th defenseman (Johnny Oduya/Mark Barberio/Matt Irwin/Matt Bartkowski) or Toews

I like Gagner, but he has two years left on his contract. I'd like to avoid that. He also isn't exactly what we're looking for. We need tougher, defensive guys.

I don't want to relegate Pelech to #7, i honestly think he's been great, certainly playing like a top 4...

Having said that, rumor has it Vancouver is looking for top 9 help...so if they want Nelson for Edler, it should be considered...problem is going to be his 5mil salary...

As for Gagner, not only is he terrible, but provides nothing the Isles need...

I really think Snow should look into Smith or Pageau from Ottawa...
Both would be great 3C, and are signed past this year...

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Gonna be devils advocate here...

do WE really need to change things by trading for a player..?

I am saying this only because this is pretty much the same team as last season where we had that PK streak that rivalled all teams in the league and was top notch.

What I think happened is that the system completely changed this year to not have any Cappy influence....I think Weight needs ..(I can't believe I'm saying this) to allow our guys to play at least part of Cappy's defensive system or incorporate a defensive system of his own.

We also have a lot more rookies this year which helps and doesn't help...

Could this be nothing more than growing pains? I think so...I don't believe we've gotten worse...we got offensively dominant at the cost of our defence. If you ask me, I think this was a player/team decision..I think Isles players wanted a more offensive game so they basically went from one extreme to the other.

Instead of wasting time trying to figure out who we want to trade from our team and who we want from other teams...Lets just concentrate on keeping our cupboards full. I really don't want to end up like Montreal where the cupboards are bare and the team sucking hard.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I am saying this only because this is pretty much the same team as last season where we had that PK streak that rivalled all teams in the league and was top notch.

What I think happened is that the system completely changed this year to not have any Cappy influence....I think Weight needs ..(I can't believe I'm saying this) to allow our guys to play at least part of Cappy's defensive system or incorporate a defensive system of his own.

Could this be nothing more than growing pains? I think so...I don't believe we've gotten worse...we got offensively dominant at the cost of our defence. If you ask me, I think this was a player/team decision..I think Isles players wanted a more offensive game so they basically went from one extreme to the other.

Instead of wasting time trying to figure out who we want to trade from our team and who we want from other teams...Lets just concentrate on keeping our cupboards full. I really don't want to end up like Montreal where the cupboards are bare and the team sucking hard.

I don't think you're wrong. Going for a top tier player is definitely worth it if they become available.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com

While I don't disagree with you, it's not like anyone here is saying we should trade any of our top-6 guys. Our PK is struggling, so we're looking for strong PKers and two-way defensemen. I don't think anything discussed has been out of the realm of realism.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
While I don't disagree with you, it's not like anyone here is saying we should trade any of our top-6 guys. Our PK is struggling, so we're looking for strong PKers and two-way defensemen. I don't think anything discussed has been out of the realm of realism.

Agreed. It's not like we're obsessing over the big name players. It's nice to daydream for a minute or two, but we're not emptying the clip now for any of those guys.

Tweaks shopping in the bargain bin area should be the way to go. Things can change if some things happen outside of the rink though.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The last 4 years, his FOW% was 48, 48.8, 50.2, 50, and 49.2 this year. That is not even close to brutal. Nelson is far worse for his career. 50% is all you need.

I ran Brassard's #'s. He has not PK'd on the Sens. He did not PK on the Rags. Not at all.

No point getting a center who doesn't PK.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
I'm one of the few that doesn't give a crap about the PK, PP, FO, or the goaltending...

I think this team can go far as is...

But with so many picks available, and with certain players who are expendable, I think getting a little help wouldn't cost much...

As I said previously, a 2nd & Nelson could get a legit 3C or a solid D, leaving Snow with both 1sts...

Again, as previously stated, Isles need a new #1 G next year, and there aren't any available via UFA...
Plus, it seems like CDH is a goner...

So keeping things simple is understandable this year...

But there are enough assets that anyone who becomes available, like a Karlsson, OEL, or Doughty, should be seriously explored...

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I'm one of the few that doesn't give a crap about the PK, PP, FO, or the goaltending...

Hard to play confident/active D when you can't kill penalties. Hard to play confident in net when each opposition is a shooting gallery. The notion that these things don't impact ES play is silly.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

I think this team can go far as is...

But with so many picks available, and with certain players who are expendable, I think getting a little help wouldn't cost much...

As I said previously, a 2nd & Nelson could get a legit 3C or a solid D, leaving Snow with both 1sts...

Again, as previously stated, Isles need a new #1 G next year, and there aren't any available via UFA...
Plus, it seems like CDH is a goner...

So keeping things simple is understandable this year...

But there are enough assets that anyone who becomes available, like a Karlsson, OEL, or Doughty, should be seriously explored...

Hutton and Dell are UFA this season . . . Dell has starter written all over him

And I've been on the OEL bandwagon from the start. Ho-Sang, Beau, extended DeHaan, 1st and 2nd and Aho and Bellows are all on the table

I would freak out if our defense is

Leddy - Pulock
OEL - Boychuck
Toews - Pelech
Mayfield

Last edited:

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Hard to play confident/active D when you can't kill penalties. Hard to play confident in net when each opposition is a shooting gallery. The notion that these things don't impact ES play is silly.

I'm not saying they don't impact ES, i'm saying the coaching staff and current roster should solve the defensive woes...

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Hutton and Dell are UFA this season . . . Dell has starter written all over him

And I've been on the OEL bandwagon from the start. Ho-Sang, Beau, extended DeHaan, 1st and 2nd and Aho and Bellows are all on the table

I would freak out if our defense is

Leddy - Pulock
OEL - Boychuck
Toews - Pelech
Mayfield

Both those goalies have 0 experience as a #1...
Doesn't mean they can't be, but signing either would be taking a chance...

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
If they re-sign Jaro, than i'd love a trade with Pitt for Jarry and have him & Soderstrom play for BST...

If they could get Jarry, I'd give him the #1 spot. Kid has developed well, and was lights out in Wilkes Barre last year. I would love to explore what Pitt would trade him for

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
If they could get Jarry, I'd give him the #1 spot. Kid has developed well, and was lights out in Wilkes Barre last year. I would love to explore what Pitt would trade him for

Why would Pittsburgh, with no real backup for Murray, trade Jarry? To a division rival? For anything short of a massive overpayment?

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Why would Pittsburgh, with no real backup for Murray, trade Jarry? To a division rival? For anything short of a massive overpayment?

I'm not saying they trade him now...

Word has it they are looking for someone else to be backup so Jarry can be sent back to WBS...

He's also an RFA this summer and could command a decent raise...
Pens might not be in a good position to dish out cash for a backup...

So there could be an opportunity this summer...beats waiting around for Sorokin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad