Dreger: Islanders 1st round pick to vegas (per source)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
After a lot of steaming, I remembered one wrinkle in the draft rules...

Vegas will be granted a 48-hour window prior to the draft to sign any pending free agent (RFA or UFA, one per team) that was left unprotected. If a team loses a player to Vegas during this signing window they will not have a player selected from their roster during this draft.

It would seem to me that if the Islanders intend on trading/sending CDH to Vegas.... he would hold more value if they could have him signed, not as an RFA (protecting him from accepting a QO and becoming a UFA after one year). This might very well be why he was left unprotected (so Vegas could use the window to get him signed.

What the Islanders get in return for this is anyones guess, but it seems like the most logical explination. No one in their right mind believes Adam Pelech is more valuable than Calvin de Haan.

My guess is McPhee and Snow have a deal for a player that will be left unprotected on another team. Look for Eric Staal or E.Johnson type heading to NYI by way of Vegas if I'm correct.

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
It isn't about protecting all three because Vegas can't take all three.

It's about protecting whichever of the three has the highest value.

No, Vegas can't take all three, but NYI can keep all three if they pay the price.

louie lighthouse

Jan 3, 2009
Anyone have opinion on this?

Very good question.

My thought is possibly Snow has an arrangement with McPhee for McPhee not to select CDH and Snow has a separate deal with another club to include CDH in a deal for a forward after the expansion draft is over. As a result, Snow does not have to care about offending CDH by not protecting him because CDH is gone anyway. Leading up to the trade freeze on Saturday, there was certainly a lot of talk/speculation that CDH was going to be traded for a forward.

Just spitballing here.... As we all are.

entropism

May 8, 2011
New Jersey
Did that rumor that had Wong giving him a 10 year contract before the team was sold ever get confirmed?

Yes, many, MANY times. But it still doesn't stop people from saying Snow is a moron.

I love how these forums jump to conclusions so quickly. Rumor comes out we traded a 1st to LVG to protect our players. So OBVIOUSLY, that means we're going to trade a 1st plus De Haan, who were were trying to protect. Right. Sure it does.

Perhaps they traded the 1st so Vegas takes someone worthless like, say, Quine? Or a large contract like Kulemin? Noooooo, that makes too much damn sense, right?

:shakehead

If De Haan was left unprotected and there was NO protection in place, he would be the obvious choice for Vegas. So why on earth would the isles trade a 1st for them to TAKE the best player? THINK, people. Jesus.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Possibly. I think the other two would go first, since theyre less valuable.

From an Islanders perspective Hickey is expendable(assuming we don't lose De Haan) and is also a UFA next summer which makes him even more expendable. it might sweeten the pot to get Vegas to take whatever we are offering(say over Halak or Kulemin)

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Did that rumor that had Wong giving him a 10 year contract before the team was sold ever get confirmed? If that happened that's another thing making it tough to just get rid of the guy.

I can confirm this was confirmed. The same idiot owner who gave Yashin a 12 year deal and DiPeitro a 15 year deal gave snow a 10 year deal as he was leaving.

The legacy of charles wang is a hockey team wedged inside a basketball arena and inept GM for the next decade.

I don't hate anyone, but I hate charles wang (i'm sure the few people in jail because of him feel the same way).

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Garth Snow is so incompetent. It baffles me this guy has been employed for over ten years with the Isles. Even in their "good" years, they're a 7/8 seed in the playoffs. So many wasted draft picks over the years. This is another horrible move.

Yes, good example is he couldn't trade Halak for over a year and Chayka just traded Smith with even a worse contract.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Exposing De Haan over Pelech implies one of two outcomes:

1) The Isles lose De Haan to avoid losing Pelech
2) The Isles pay a higher price to not lose De Haan than they would have to not lose Pelech

For either situation, this looks pretty dumb.

this is ALL about signalling that dehaan is available for trade for a top six forward to play with Tavares...the only thing stupider that Garth Snow is armchair GMs on HF who think they know how to run an NHL team.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Maybe Garth, a longtime close friend, knows McPhee doesn't like deHaan.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
I think people should probably hold off their bashing until the full details come out. It more than likely protects De Haan as well, tweets from insiders often don't get the exact details right immediately. And I wouldn't be shocked if the Isles get to pick who Vegas takes. I common sense dictates it doesn't make sense for the Isles to pay Vegas a 1st to take De Haan then that's probably not what's happening. If it is then bash away on Wednesday night.

This is ALL about the Islanders being in the market for a top six forward...Pelech and Pulock don't get you that, de haan could...so the isles left him exposed so Vegas can select de haan and flip him to ANOTHER team, and send a forward back to the Islanders

Come on people...

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
halak wasn't claimed off waivers, that's just 29 other gms not biting

Do you think Smith would have been claimed at that time?
But finally Chayka got a deal with rentention and Snow might still be searching or forgot about it.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Do you think Smith would have been claimed at that time?
But finally Chayka got a deal with rentention and Snow might still be searching or forgot about it.

but we could use halak, why would we trade him for a few picks when he is fine for the year behind greiss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad