Dreger: Islanders 1st round pick to vegas (per source)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
Garth Snow is so incompetent. It baffles me this guy has been employed for over ten years with the Isles. Even in their "good" years, they're a 7/8 seed in the playoffs. So many wasted draft picks over the years. This is another horrible move. It's a shame b/c the Islanders have great fans. They deserve better.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Garth Snow is so incompetent. It baffles me this guy has been employed for over ten years with the Isles. Even in their "good" years, they're a 7/8 seed in the playoffs. So many wasted draft picks over the years. This is another horrible move. It's a shame b/c the Islanders have great fans. They deserve better.

Thanks, we do deserve better Snow is a certified deadbeat.

Baymen4

Oct 31, 2016
This is either madness or brilliance on Snow's part. Which one will be known on Wednesday

This exactly. maybe you can't trade players on the protected list and he has a deal in place with mcphee to get neal 2nd (only moves us down 21 spots) for dehaan. either way Pelech is valuable as well and I don't doubt that he'll be in the top 4 next year. Time will tell if Snow sees check mate in 3 moves or just completely screwed the franchise again.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
So de Haan would be the selection?

Snow is probably looking at keeping at much intact as possible at the moment, as his near term future as GM may depend more an more on near term on-ice results.

Hmmm... maybe they should have protected De Haan and exposed Ladd? (this from a guy who likes Ladd)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Anyone have opinion on this?

Say Snow has a side deal not to pick De Haan. De Haan is a RFA this summer maybe he wants to drive down his asking price or more importantly arbitration price

Baymen4

Oct 31, 2016

Sure Pelech is valuable as well as won't require as big of a raise. Protecting him allows snow to move de haan to vegas in the next couple of days in a trade to acquire either neal or staal or another player maybe. something like 1st + vegas selects Cizikas + Dehaan for Neal 2nd. It's obviously in vegas favor but with out the 1st and the selection we lose de haan or pelech for nothing.

member 157595

It's a good question.

I don't know why Pelech was protected because I don't think LV would have selected him in the first place.

I get the idea of making a trade with LV for them not to select Nelson or Strome, but if you add DeHaan to the list of those "we will give you some extra **** to not pick" players , LV's demand in return should go significantly up. If I'm McPhee and you want me not to take any of Strome, Nelson OR DeHaan, you're going to need to give me a LOT in order for that to be worthwhile.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
so they arent taking dehaan then?

Read the linked article. The Islanders are doing it to keep Vegas away from a forward, not a defenseman. de Haan is very much a possibility to be a Knight.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It isn't about protecting all three because Vegas can't take all three.

It's about protecting whichever of the three has the highest value.

The person I quoted said it would be a 1st to protect all three.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I've been saying this since the di pietro contract. It's a sad state of afffairs. Probably lost a generation of fans under this regiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad