Dreger: Islanders 1st round pick to vegas (per source)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
I think it is unclear at the moment, the first round pick may have been to protect de Haan and Nelson/Strome.

In any event, I don't see the point in mocking the Isles or their fans. The ED is a strange wrinkle for teams to have to navigate.

At least that's what Staple is reporting. But they could've also worked out deal out to take one of Kuli/Grabo/Halak for cap relief.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Dreger is usually terrible when it comes to Islanders rumors(or more so speculation) so I wouldn't take his word as gospel.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's likely our 1st + Grabovski's contract + maybe a lesser prospect, we'll see.

yes, I thought this as well. Like the rumored Columbus deal.

And for the ED, will get to pick one of several cheap, useful, but replaceable players.

If I were an Isles fans I'd hope that the deal is even bigger and maybe Vegas will trade you a good winger in the deal.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
1st plus cdh to protect strome and Nelson..... hey snow, quit your ****ing job

Let's pretend that there is no way that this is the case .
Because if it is then Garth will probably be working for McPhee before training camp opens .
Then the isles file a grievance against the NHL or Knights or Chipotle or Wang or all of them.

Deep breath- sigh - why couldn't we just let them take Nelson,strome , Cizikas ,Clutterbuck,
Or Pelech . Keep our 1st and enjoy the summer .
If Dehaan is lost via selection or trade our top 4 D is broken up.Thats the worst thing of all.
We have no other D that can play 20-25 minutes consistently .
Our 4 man D is 45-50 minutes a game . A top 4 loss without replacement is the worst loss we can have .

Let's give it a few days till the selections are made and trades announced .
Then we can

Rape the fields and pillage the woman.

Dehaan for Eric Staal .

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
All these assumptions lol

That's why I hate Dreger, many times he is wrong and I am guessing he probably has half the story in regards to this(ie first rounder may be in play, but the forward part is speculation on his part)

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Dreger is usually terrible when it comes to Islanders rumors(or more so speculation) so I wouldn't take his word as gospel.

He's my least favorite insider by a mile. Has nothing to do with him or his overall credibility but his Islander credibility because whoever his Islander sources are, they stink. I think he has zero contacts with the team tbh, just speculated off of league execs.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I have been saying Vegas might take Hickey for a while now.

He's better than people give him credit for and won't cost the team a lot of money. Vegas can't just pick the 30 'best players and be cap compliant.

Players like Hickey help fill Salary/Role nitch's and net Vegas 1st round picks.

1st round pick to Vegas to select Hickey (hm: Zeeker, Clutter).

Tpkc2

Jul 19, 2013
Can't wait to see how this trade works out, you would think Snow's neck is on the line but it appears to be the same dog and pony show once again!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I think people should probably hold off their bashing until the full details come out. It more than likely protects De Haan as well, tweets from insiders often don't get the exact details right immediately. And I wouldn't be shocked if the Isles get to pick who Vegas takes. I common sense dictates it doesn't make sense for the Isles to pay Vegas a 1st to take De Haan then that's probably not what's happening. If it is then bash away on Wednesday night.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Not happy with the move, 15th overall carries a ton of value and was a key trade chip in negotiations for a forward. But Snow wants to keep this team together and that's the price you pay.

Pelech over deHaan probably has more to do with negotiations if Snow/McPhee worked out an agreement before protection lists were to be submitted. But CDH is a RFA who I believe can choose a 1-year deal and be a UFA next year. Or maybe it's just to lower his AAV.

Pretty much 95% of the Isles fanbase agrees on a protection list and Snow goes and does something else, you expect it to come. Always has to outsmart the room.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Ladies and gentlemen, the Vegas Knights select in the 2017 entry draft....
EVERYONE!

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
What is the value of dehaan I think it is more then a first so the price to protect him should be more then a first as well. You have to assume that is how vegas is approaching the negotiations.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The Isles protected Pelech over De Haan? What kind of madness is this?
Protect De Haan and let Vegas take Nelson. Easy choice for sane people.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
He's my least favorite insider by a mile. Has nothing to do with him or his overall credibility but his Islander credibility because whoever his Islander sources are, they stink. I think he has zero contacts with the team tbh, just speculated off of league execs.

He's one of the best insiders. I'm sure that teams talk trades all the time and a very small fraction come to fruition. That doesn't mean he was wrong when he reports he's hearing something.

And a team can be as tight-lipped as it wants, but if they want to talk trade, they have to talk to other teams. Perhaps they're not as tight-lipped. Plus, when you add in scouts, player agents, etc., it's not hard to see how things leak.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think people should probably hold off their bashing until the full details come out. It more than likely protects De Haan as well, tweets from insiders often don't get the exact details right immediately. And I wouldn't be shocked if the Isles get to pick who Vegas takes. I common sense dictates it doesn't make sense for the Isles to pay Vegas a 1st to take De Haan then that's probably not what's happening. If it is then bash away on Wednesday night.

Just a side theory about De Haan here but he is a RFA this summer, wonder if Snow is trying to drive down his potential asking/arbitration price.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
He's one of the best insiders. I'm sure that teams talk trades all the time and a very small fraction come to fruition. That doesn't mean he was wrong when he reports he's hearing something.

Dreger has a terrible history of writing "speculation" articles why Tavares might want to leave or his yearly how about Yashin for McCabe. He generally seems to get everything about us wrong

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Only way this is worth it for NYI is if they are getting some one back from Vegas or if Vegas is taking Clutterbuck.

There will still be plenty good defensive prospects available 15 OA, I agree with other fans who would rather let Vegas pick their guy (anyone exposed) and us keep the pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad