Is Vegas is a really bad position already?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Well, they made the finals all the way from the help of the refs. One call didn't go their way.. One. And they imploded.

It’s a good thing they’re paying $2.775M to Ryan Reaves next year so that he can watch them implode from the penalty box.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
With three years of draft picks no one has made a breakthrough to the roster and that costs then. The quick success made the situation worse especially as they traded Suzuki and Brännström away while they could have filled the spots while not having huge salaries.

Eight (nine if Clarkson included) forwards earn more than 3.54M which is too much.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If I'm not mistaken you can have ELCs on a team that aren't counted on towards cap. So they could waive Merrill and Holden and have Whitecloud and Hague in their place, plus Engelland taking a hometown discount. Cody Glass as their 3C.
ELCs aren’t counted towards the cap? Since when.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Vegas. Up against the cap.

With good players on good contracts.

Cup contender from day 1 and going forward.

//

My team. Up against the cap.

With bad players on bad contracts.

Worst team in the league over the past 4 seasons.

Yep. Vegas is in a bad position.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don't understand these threads. It's bad that Vegas is up against the cap? Why the f*** is that a bad thing?

If Vegas wanted cap space they could trade Mark Stone right now if they wanted to. I don't know about you, but i'd rather have Mark Stone.

My point is, they have a good team with a lot of good players. That's why they don't have cap space. And the best part about it is, they really don't have bad contracts. All the guys with +3 years left are paid like they're supposed to, more or less.

In the upcoming summers Vegas will have no important contracts to extend. Their cap flexibility will just keep on getting better and better, assuming they don't do anything stupid. That's the advantage of locking up their core now.

Sure, Gusev might not be a Knight because of this. Boo hoo. They already have a good top 6 anyway.

If you want to argue about something, then argue about the players they've spent their cap on and if they were the right guys to lock up. But im tired of hearing people creating dark clouds over teams just because they're spending to the cap.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I don't understand these threads. It's bad that Vegas is up against the cap? Why the **** is that a bad thing?

If Vegas wanted cap space they could trade Mark Stone right now if they wanted to. I don't know about you, but i'd rather have Mark Stone.

My point is, they have a good team with a lot of good players. That's why they don't have cap space. And the best part about it is, they really don't have bad contracts. All the guys with +3 years left are paid like they're supposed to, more or less.

In the upcoming summers Vegas will have no important contracts to extend. Their cap flexibility will just keep on getting better and better, assuming they don't do anything stupid. That's the advantage of locking up their core now.

Sure, Gusev might not be a Knight because of this. Boo hoo. They already have a good top 6 anyway.

If you want to argue about something, then argue about the players they've spent their cap on and if they were the right guys to lock up. But im tired of hearing people creating dark clouds over teams just because they're spending to the cap.
People just want Vegas to fail because their fans haven't earned it or something . I wouldn't worry too much about it .

I would be worried about my team if they refused a good trade with Vegas because they were mad at the expansion draft or something stupid tho

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Vegas as of now is a few million OVER the cap and need to still sign a couple players.

Rumor has it GM’s on opposing teams are upset/don’t want to help Vegas out in this situation because of the great situation Vegas had for their expansion. Some teams are reportedly upset McPhee took a player they didn’t want them to.

It’s crazy how a team entering year 3 is already in the worst cap situation of any team.

McPhee has proven to do well being able to pick from a large group of players to put together a winner quick I’m Vegas - but now that the playing field is pretty even with where they are and the other teams - it’ll be interesting to see if he can be a good GM for Vegas moving forward. He has a completely different type of thing to worry about now.

1) McPhee is not the GM any more
2) Once Clarkson goes on the LTIR they are under the cao

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
they will be under the salary cap like every other team. Clarkson to LTIR for the year and the pieces they sign will be |who" type low end depth. Look at the forward core, realistically it can be anywhere from best in the league to 6th or 7th best if a couple of older guys slow down a bit. Still point being they have an elite forward core for years to come (along with a top 10 prospect in the world in Glass, and another good Forward prospect in Krebs). They do have a weak defense core in comparison to the forward group but have some nice top end guys and have decent defensive prospects. The knights are a cup contender for years to come as long as they keep drafting well. Don't know if they can win the cup with the team as it is but they have the right mix of core guys maybe they change the depth later on
Even with Clarkson on LTIR, they need to sign 2 D that total no more than about 1.5.

It can be done obviously, but if you want to compete for a Cup, does:

McNabb-Schmidt
Holden-Theodore
Merrill-Whitecloud

sound like a Cup contending D?

Moving Clarkson with a sweetener is a much better option.

Jaffray15

Mar 12, 2008
Winnipeg
www.nhl94.com
Even with Clarkson on LTIR, they need to sign 2 D that total no more than about 1.5.

It can be done obviously, but if you want to compete for a Cup, does:

McNabb-Schmidt
Holden-Theodore
Merrill-Whitecloud

sound like a Cup contending D?

Moving Clarkson with a sweetener is a much better option.

I think Nic Hague makes the team out of training camp over Whitecloud

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don't understand these threads. It's bad that Vegas is up against the cap? Why the **** is that a bad thing?

Okay.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to spend nearly $12M on Max Pacioretty, Nick Holden, and Ryan Reaves.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Okay.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to spend nearly $12M on Max Pacioretty, Nick Holden, and Ryan Reaves.

And the Sharks are spending 12.2M on Vlasic, Dillon and Melker Karlsson. Whats your point?

You can come up with a list of players every contending team is paying more than what is ideal in the current situation. It's unrealistic to think you have 23 players on great contracts.

Holden and Reaves are gone by next summer at the very least, Pacioretty has the track record to suggest he can still score 30 if he's healthy. If that's the worst you can come up with Vegas, i'd say they're pretty good.

Edit: didn’t see you bolded a part of my msg. Yep i agree if Vegas could go back in time they would probably do those deals differently but meh, Pacioretty is the only one who really matters long-term. Might bite them in the butt no question but it’s only one player and it’s not like he’s useless.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
And the Sharks are spending 12.2M on Vlasic, Dillon and Melker Karlsson. Whats your point?

You can come up with a list of players every contending team is paying more than what is ideal in the current situation. It's unrealistic to think you have 23 players on great contracts.

Holden and Reaves are gone by next summer at the very least, Pacioretty has the track record to suggest he can still score 30 if he's healthy. If that's the worst you can come up with Vegas, i'd say they're pretty good.

Vlasic, Dillon, and Melker Karlsson are so much better than Pacioretty, Reaves, and Holden.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Vlasic, Dillon, and Melker Karlsson are so much better than Pacioretty, Reaves, and Holden.

Ehhh.. if Vlasic was the same player he was couple years ago then yeah i’d agree but he’s not, so i don’t see how there’s such a big difference.

Regardless of opinion on those players we’re talking 2 depth guys who are impending UFA’s. Rather have that 100x more than the Okposo’s or Eriksson’s of the world.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Expansion team who made the cup finals in their first year, and should have made at least the 2nd round last year if not for the refs. Should be right back next year. They own all their draft picks for the next 3 years besides next year's 3rd rounder, have some good prospects in the wings.

I think they're just fine.

They wouldn't have even made it to game 7 of the first round if it weren't for the refs.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

Patches was lights out after his slow start of 2G in his first 20GP

That Patches-Stastney-Stone line was ridiculous by the playoffs
Patches: 7-5-6-11 30sog

He’s going to score 30+ this season

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Patches was lights out after his slow start of 2G in his first 20GP

That Patches-Stastney-Stone line was ridiculous by the playoffs
Patches: 7-5-6-11 30sog

He’s going to score 30+ this season

You think Stone and Martin Jones might’ve had something to do with that?

Pacioretty’s 4-year contract with an AAV of $7M starts next year. He is 30 years old and has not exceeded 40 points in each of the past two seasons.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ehhh.. if Vlasic was the same player he was couple years ago then yeah i’d agree but he’s not, so i don’t see how there’s such a big difference.

Regardless of opinion on those players we’re talking 2 depth guys who are impending UFA’s. Rather have that 100x more than the Okposo’s or Eriksson’s of the world.

Even with what you think he is now, him as a #3, a decent #5, and a PK'ing 4th liner compares favorably to a 2nd liner who is mostly a negative on the whole of it, a useless 4th liner come playoff time, and a #7. That's a pretty big difference.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
You think Stone and Martin Jones might’ve had something to do with that?

Pacioretty’s 4-year contract with an AAV of $7M starts next year. He is 30 years old and has not exceeded 40 points in each of the past two seasons.

After adjusting to his new team he finished the year with 57-25-24-49 (includes playoffs)

Take out his first 16GP in LV and he was awesome

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
While it wouldn't be the option I'd recommend, trading Gusev + Clarkson going on LTIR will take care of their cap situation.

Trading Gusev for a 2nd+more will likely give them two 1sts and five 2nds over the next two drafts, which should add already to a great prospect pool.

They have a great future and should be a playoff team next year. Not in a bad spot whatsoever.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
They are 3,524,999 dollars over now.

That is with 21 players listed in the NHL-group, plus Clarkson. Clarksons cap-hit is included though.

As far as I have understood, they need to be under cap just for a few hours, and then get Clarksons cap-hit on LTIR, when he has been to the doctors on that first day. Still, that means they are over, and that is a problem. Don't know if the rule says 20 inclusive Clarkson, or 20 exclusive Clarkson, but they would still be over if they had had a couple of ELCs to send down. They have none. They have no waiver-excempt players among the 21.

Is none of their expensive contracts so bad the player would pass waivers? Sounds a bit like a luxury-problem, though... Still, they need some tweaking here.

This is a widely held misconception. The only difference between off-season and in-season LTIR is that the formula is slightly different. When a team exercises LTIR prior to the season and is over the cap on opening day they're simply deemed to have already replaced the player. So the only thing Vegas needs to do before the season starts is actually add more players, so they're utilizing 100% of Clarkson's $5.25m in LTIR relief.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Vegas as of now is a few million OVER the cap and need to still sign a couple players.

Rumor has it GM’s on opposing teams are upset/don’t want to help Vegas out in this situation because of the great situation Vegas had for their expansion. Some teams are reportedly upset McPhee took a player they didn’t want them to.

It’s crazy how a team entering year 3 is already in the worst cap situation of any team.

McPhee has proven to do well being able to pick from a large group of players to put together a winner quick I’m Vegas - but now that the playing field is pretty even with where they are and the other teams - it’ll be interesting to see if he can be a good GM for Vegas moving forward. He has a completely different type of thing to worry about now.

George McPhee is no longer the General Manager of the Vegas Golden Knights.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Vegas has arguably the best forward group in the entire NHL, so I really have a tough time saying that they're in a "really bad position".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad