Is Vegas is a really bad position already?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Vegas as of now is a few million OVER the cap and need to still sign a couple players.

Rumor has it GM’s on opposing teams are upset/don’t want to help Vegas out in this situation because of the great situation Vegas had for their expansion. Some teams are reportedly upset McPhee took a player they didn’t want them to.

It’s crazy how a team entering year 3 is already in the worst cap situation of any team.

McPhee has proven to do well being able to pick from a large group of players to put together a winner quick I’m Vegas - but now that the playing field is pretty even with where they are and the other teams - it’ll be interesting to see if he can be a good GM for Vegas moving forward. He has a completely different type of thing to worry about now.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I find it laughable that other gms are upset at Vegas for something that was their own damn fault.

They would have done the same f***ing thing if they were in Vegas situation.

If they really are acting like babies, then they all need to be fired and more professional gms need to be hired.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Expansion team who made the cup finals in their first year, and should have made at least the 2nd round last year if not for the refs. Should be right back next year. They own all their draft picks for the next 3 years besides next year's 3rd rounder, have some good prospects in the wings.

I think they're just fine.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Not really. They have some bad contracts, but McNabb is the only one with term. They also haven't really had a ton of benefit yet of getting contributions from ELC players. That will start soon. Plus, they're a good team and have extra 2nds in both of the next two drafts.

And even if they lose another piece they'd prefer not to, they'd still be a pretty good team.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
they will be under the salary cap like every other team. Clarkson to LTIR for the year and the pieces they sign will be |who" type low end depth. Look at the forward core, realistically it can be anywhere from best in the league to 6th or 7th best if a couple of older guys slow down a bit. Still point being they have an elite forward core for years to come (along with a top 10 prospect in the world in Glass, and another good Forward prospect in Krebs). They do have a weak defense core in comparison to the forward group but have some nice top end guys and have decent defensive prospects. The knights are a cup contender for years to come as long as they keep drafting well. Don't know if they can win the cup with the team as it is but they have the right mix of core guys maybe they change the depth later on

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Mcphee did the easy work, then jumped ship when things got tough. Now McCRimmon gets to sort things out.

At the end of the day, they'll be fine. Teams find a way, and holding another team hostage because you are upset they beat you at something is just infantile.

I have faith in VGK

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Expansion team who made the cup finals in their first year, and should have made at least the 2nd round last year if not for the refs. Should be right back next year. They own all their draft picks for the next 3 years besides next year's 3rd rounder, have some good prospects in the wings.

I think they're just fine.

The year they don't have a 3rd rounder is the year where they have an extra 2nd rounder (Blues draft pick). So i guess you can somewhat think of that as a 3rd round pick.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Mcphee did the easy work, then jumped ship when things got tough. Now McCRimmon gets to sort things out.

At the end of the day, they'll be fine. Teams find a way, and holding another team hostage because you are upset they beat you at something is just infantile.

I have faith in VGK

The popular belief is that McPhee jumped ship to keep Mccrimmon from leaving to Edmonton.

Reactions: Sam Spade

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Overall I think they are in fantastic shape. They have had an unbelievable first two years. That fan base will love that team for a very long time. Any expansion team should dream to start their franchise the way Vegas has.

They are in cap hell, but most of the players they want are locked up.

I just personally think they have made some mistakes that were so completely avoidable. I just think the Tatar trade was ridiculous and made no sense. I dont think the Pacorietty trade was good either. Not having Pacoriettys cap hit would of helped their cap situation a lot too. They should of just drafted and developed those players/picks. I think they needed a bit more patience there.

I think the Stone acquisition was very good for them though. Potentially tough contract though (I think he will be ok for most of it though), hopefully he doesnt decline for them.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
most of the top teams in the West lost pieces. I'd love to see Vegas drop but I don't think it will happen

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Vegas as of now is a few million OVER the cap and need to still sign a couple players.

Rumor has it GM’s on opposing teams are upset/don’t want to help Vegas out in this situation because of the great situation Vegas had for their expansion. Some teams are reportedly upset McPhee took a player they didn’t want them to.

I find that hard to believe, because teams and GM's are usually more than happy to help each others. After all, it's not like it is a some kind of competition or something

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

It’s crazy how a team entering year 3 is already in the worst cap situation of any team.

McPhee has proven to do well being able to pick from a large group of players to put together a winner quick I’m Vegas - but now that the playing field is pretty even with where they are and the other teams - it’ll be interesting to see if he can be a good GM for Vegas moving forward. He has a completely different type of thing to worry about now.

it would have been cool for you to show the amount LV is over the cap. o_O

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Vegas have a lot of great young players and a very good prospect pool. Most of their core is still relatively young and locked up for a reasonable time (Karlsson, Tuch, Marchessault, Stone, Theodore). They probably lose a piece like Gusev or maybe Stastny or Smith to clear up cap, but long term I'm sure they'll be fine.

I personally like their chances of maintaining playoff contention the next five years than any other Pacific team.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I mean ultimately what it boils down to is they lost some of their depth to get Stone

you can argue whether or not it's worth it but that's just what it takes to get a star in a salary cap world

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Ya they’re fine. They’ll make the playoffs again so everyone can watch their cringe worthy post season intro. I hope they bring back that lantern guy. That was so ... cool.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
They'll make playoffs anyways despite not thought of as one of the powerhouses, I've lost the will to bet against them

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I find it laughable that other gms are upset at Vegas for something that was their own damn fault.

They would have done the same ****ing thing if they were in Vegas situation.

If they really are acting like babies, then they all need to be fired and more professional gms need to be hired.
What they also are doing in the same action is smart GM'ing, you're not out to help others just to help them out, you go for best-case scenario for your team and maybe help the other team along the way.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Will never understand how having too many quality players is seen as a negative. Literally the worst thing that can happen is they trade a player away for perhaps less that ideal return and still have a team filled with quality players. Whoever they end up moving, their top 6 is easily among the best in the NHL

Way worse to be a team with cap space and no quality players to fill it up.

Reactions: daddyohsix

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
B8F38A10-7042-4191-81F2-AF20085FE47F.png

They are close to the cap because they have a lot of good players. Nothing wrong with that. They have way less bad contracts than most teams in the league.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Not really. They have some bad contracts, but McNabb is the only one with term.

huh? vegas has 7 guys signed for the next 4 years and 5 guys signed to at least 2025, and stone is probably the only one that qualifies as a true core elite player and he's a winger. they have given term to a lot of guys i doubt will be earning their contracts by the end. they are pretty much the definition of an unwieldy top heavy roster cap strapped roster. they are going to have to give up their draft picks and prospects to unload these guys.

Reactions: Voight

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Vegas is not over the cap. They have Clarkson on LTIR, and actually still have 1.7m in space.

They probably trade Gusev, send down a forward, call up 2 defensemen, and they're done.

They also have their core essentially locked in, they have a bunch of steal contracts because of their state tax situation, and they're insanely competitive since entering the league. They also have 6 picks in the first 2 rounds over the next 2 years. I think they are probably in one of the best positions in the league.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

I have faith in VGK
I wouldn't really call what McPhee did easy nor would I agree that he "jumped ship". He was offered a higher position and promoted from within. Sort of a weird take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad