Is this the youngest Habs team you have seen in your lifetime?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Why does it matter what the age of the roster is if it is just bad? We just got shut out for a 10th time this season, a new team record. This is the worst habs team I have ever seen from top to bottom and it has nothing to do with age. If a new gm came in tomorrow and traded every single player on the current roster I would not feel anything but hope.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Why does it matter what the age of the roster is if it is just bad? We just got shut out for a 10th time this season, a new team record. This is the worst habs team I have ever seen from top to bottom and it has nothing to do with age. If a new gm came in tomorrow and traded every single player on the current roster I would not feel anything but hope.
over under on getting shut out by end of season

Reactions: habsgirl5000

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
over under on getting shut out by end of season

But yet people make these dumb posts about our prospects and young players, it's so stupid!!! Our roster is poorly constructed without much in the way of talent. I know that many of us are seen as having a negative viewpoint but how can people ignore what is right in front of them? Is that called delusion?

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
But yet people make these dumb posts about our prospects and young players, it's so stupid!!! Our roster is poorly constructed without much in the way of talent. I know that many of us are seen as having a negative viewpoint but how can people ignore what is right in front of them? Is that called delusion?

Well It's probably somewhere in the middle. The young players/prospects are not good enough to get excited about yet, but they also are not as bad as some might have you think.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Well It's probably somewhere in the middle. The young players/prospects are not good enough to get excited about yet, but they also are not as bad as some might have you think.
They are average/bad and we are seeing it night after night. We have no one that stands out and every team in the league have these types of players but in our case it's all we have.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
They are average/bad and we are seeing it night after night. We have no one that stands out and every team in the league have these types of players but in our case it's all we have.

Sure. I think that is fair. The team needs some players to get to the next level... and I mean like 3 or 4. Maybe one or two of those are in the system if we are lucky, but we will probably need to draft them in the next few years or get lucky in a trade...

What we can't afford to do is overpay for band-aids that will only be productive for a few years.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Just because we are a young team, doesn't mean we are headed in the right direction. We don't have a young prospect who is expected to be a top 2 D, a top line centre (I'll say Poehling projects to 2nd line), or any top line wingers. Our best wing prospects are Drouin and Galchenyuk who can be effective with a #1 centre (Galchenyuk can, I am still not sure about Drouin to be honest).

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick

Pretty sure this is the first post on this board that isn't over whelmingly negative since January

Reactions: WinterLion

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

The funny thing is that I agree with you and I think most people do. But most people also think that this team would have been miraculously cured if we had Radu & 45 year old Marky on it this year.

Reactions: Belial

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Just because we are a young team, doesn't mean we are headed in the right direction. We don't have a young prospect who is expected to be a top 2 D, a top line centre (I'll say Poehling projects to 2nd line), or any top line wingers. Our best wing prospects are Drouin and Galchenyuk who can be effective with a #1 centre (Galchenyuk can, I am still not sure about Drouin to be honest).

Yes we need a lot of things! We have a lot of maybes. Getting younger is the right direction for sure, but I do agree that at the moment we don't have enough impact players. No doubt.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Who's that center that will carry the team to the cup within the next 3 years? Because after that Weber and Price are done. Who's your top pairing dmen after Weber?
Who's your #2 C?
Who's your top line fowards?

Do you even know what a core is? Look at what you posted!

Who is that center? Hmm a great guide for you would be reading my post again.

It's like you had a prefabricated response to whatever anyone replied to your post.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Sure. I think that is fair. The team needs some players to get to the next level... and I mean like 3 or 4. Maybe one or two of those are in the system if we are lucky, but we will probably need to draft them in the next few years or get lucky in a trade...

What we can't afford to do is overpay for band-aids that will only be productive for a few years.
The team needs at least 6 players to get to the next level and if our GM realized that from the get go we would not be here today, this is the most unnecessary position we are in right now . We cannot continue to go on what ifs, you do not build a team that way.

Reactions: groovejuice

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The funny thing is that I agree with you and I think most people do. But most people also think that this team would have been miraculously cured if we had Radu & 45 year old Marky on it this year.
Give me Radulov, Subban, Markov, Sergachev and Eller back and I am a happy man, Bergevin created all of this what you see before you, we do not have to be here, it's insane.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The Habs prospects were rated 28th this year in the NHL. Hudon was considered the biggest riser.

Scherbak, Juulsen and Mete are some of the bright spots. Lehkonen and DeLaRose are headed to 4th line country. Lindgren may not even have a place, as Niemi has been better.

Nobody is rising to the team next year, so 31 out of 31 seems likely.

Poehling should be ready in 2019, Prim-eau should be in the organization, and it's possible Fleury and Brook, Ikonen too are ready for secondary roles; the d-men might force a veteran out with their progression, not likely though.

It's another year before you see anything of quality, and that all depends of the quality of the draft. With 4 top 60 picks, Mc Carron, Lehkonen, DeLaRose, and Fucale have had 0 impact.

The only real way to add quality prospects at this point is to obtain them in trading core players, Pacioretty, Weber, Price, maybe get one for Shaw too.

Last edited:

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Give me Radulov, Subban, Markov, Sergachev and Eller back and I am a happy man, Bergevin created all of this what you see before you, we do not have to be here, it's insane.

I would wager a million dollars that hfboards would still be bashing everyone!! That how we roll!!:D:D

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I would wager a million dollars that hfboards would still be bashing everyone!! That how we roll!!:D:D
You don't seem to "roll" that way. You see what others don't have the ability to, there are about 4 others here like you. The rest of us are fools.:sarcasm: You didn't acknowledge the players I mentioned by the way, is that a form of bashing?

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I've seen this argument a lot during last couple seasons but how is this team young besides having a lot of callups at this moment?

2011/2012
Markov (32)
Plekanec (28)
Gorges (27)
A.Kostitsyn (26)
Desharnais (25)
Emelin (25)
Price (24)
Subban (22)
Pacioretty (22)
Eller (22)
Leblanc (20)
Yannick Weber (22)

2012/2013
Markov (33)
Plekanec (29)
Gorges (28)
Desharnais (26)
Emelin (26)
Price (25)
Subban (23)
Pacioretty (23)
Eller (23)
Gallagher (20)
Galchenyuk (18)

Today:
Weber (32)
Price (30)
Petry (30)
Pacioretty (29)
Alzner (29)
Byron (28)
Shaw (27)
Gallagher (25)
Danault (25)
Galchenyuk (24)
Hudon (23)
Drouin (22)
Mete (19)

Now instead of Subban/Pacioretty being the key under 25 players we have Drouin/Galchenyuk.

Lekonen, Scherbak ,Deslauriers ,DLR and Juulsen missing from your today.

Our forward group is potentially very young especially if we trade Pacioretty for prospect + picks:

Drouin(22) - 1C - Gallagher(25)
Lekhonen(22) - Galchenyuk(24) - Scherbak(22)
Hudon(23) - Danault(25) - Byron(27)
Deslauriers(27)- DLR(22) - Shaw(26)

1 PMD - Weber(32)
Mete(19) - Petry(30)
Alzner(29) - Juulsen(21)

Price(30)
Lindgren(24)

We have enough vets to help our young kids figure it out but our issue is that we are missing pieces that are extremely difficult to acquire , number 1 C and number 1 PMD.
All I know is that it's going to be nearly impossible for Bergevin to acquire these pieces without them falling in his lap.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Yes we need a lot of things! We have a lot of maybes. Getting younger is the right direction for sure, but I do agree that at the moment we don't have enough impact players. No doubt.
We have a lot of young guys but we don't have any with top tier potential. You would hope if you're bottom 5 it's because you have a bad team with a lot of promise in the pipeline. We have a bad team with not much to look forward to.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Our forward group is potentially very young especially if we trade Pacioretty for prospect + picks:

1 PMD - Weber(32)
Mete(19) - Petry(30)
Alzner(29) - Juulsen(21)

Price(30)
Lindgren(24)

We have enough vets to help our young kids figure it out but our issue is that we are missing pieces that are extremely difficult to acquire , number 1 C and number 1 PMD.
All I know is that it's going to be nearly impossible for Bergevin to acquire these pieces without them falling in his lap.

And since Galchenyuk is no longer a C, unless both GM and coach are shown the door, you have a hole at 1 and 2C, and a #1 LHD, with Lehkonen being 4LW in this case.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

1 PMD - Weber(32)
Mete(19) - Petry(30)
Alzner(29) - Juulsen(21)

Price(30)
Lindgren(24)

Left them out because Lehkonen/Scherback/DLR have combined 25 points in 104 games. I don't think it's fair to suggest they are playing as important roles on this roster as the other names.

Too soon to judge Juulsen IMO. When 20 year old Jared Tinordi was +5 in 8 games with Montreal in 12/13, people were raving about him too believe it or not. Not saying he'll bust but people seem too eager to throw him as an example of how the core is young. Deslauriers I agree, overlooked him. He's been a solid 4th liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad