Is this the youngest Habs team you have seen in your lifetime?

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I'm just curious. I can't remember a team being younger than the team we have now. Especially the forward group. Can any of you remember a younger version? Anybody know how we stack up the the rest of the league?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
According to some, this team is old and needs to be rebuild :laugh:.

Hard to pin point the age as we have so many injuries. I do think our age 25 and under core is lacking multiple pieces that we need to compete but we have quantity. It's taken years to recover from those terrible 4 years of drafting from 2008-2011. We have a ways to go yet but it's taking shape... if you can separate yourself from this seasons lack of success and look at the demographics of our roster age 25 and under.

Believe it or not but I do believe we are younger than the Leafs or we are very close to it. Our oldest asset is Weber at age 32.

Roster in 3 years...

Galchenyuk (27) / ???? / Drouin (25)
Scherbak (25) / Poehling (21) / Gallagher (28)
Lehkonen (25) / Danault (28) / Shaw (29)

Mete (22) / Weber (35)
???? / Petry (33)
???? / Juulsen (23)

Price (33)
Lindgren (27)

Last edited:

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I found this, but is from earlier in the year.

upload_2018-3-8_12-26-57.png

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The team is weirdly set up. D is older with guys like Weber, Petry, Alzner, Schlemko & Benn on the roster.

Forward group is one of the youngest in awhile. '86 group was pretty young tho. A lot of players in years 1 to 3 on that team at all positions. Crazy young & talented team.

Very young forward group, I agree. Not sure how talented they are.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I've seen this argument a lot during last couple seasons but how is this team young besides having a lot of callups at this moment?

2011/2012
Markov (32)
Plekanec (28)
Gorges (27)
A.Kostitsyn (26)
Desharnais (25)
Emelin (25)
Price (24)
Subban (22)
Pacioretty (22)
Eller (22)
Leblanc (20)
Yannick Weber (22)

2012/2013
Markov (33)
Plekanec (29)
Gorges (28)
Desharnais (26)
Emelin (26)
Price (25)
Subban (23)
Pacioretty (23)
Eller (23)
Gallagher (20)
Galchenyuk (18)

Today:
Weber (32)
Price (30)
Petry (30)
Pacioretty (29)
Alzner (29)
Byron (28)
Shaw (27)
Gallagher (25)
Danault (25)
Galchenyuk (24)
Hudon (23)
Drouin (22)
Mete (19)

Now instead of Subban/Pacioretty being the key under 25 players we have Drouin/Galchenyuk.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
we're pretty young and I can't personally remember a Habs roster quite like this one

sadly some people confuse average age and average potential, being young doesn't mean much when your young players are guys like De La Rose and McCarron

see :

DLR and McCarron are not big parts of my future plans. DLR might be our 4th line center but Look at the projected roster in 3 years... I don't have him in our top 9F. You example is trash

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
I'm just curious. I can't remember a team being younger than the team we have now. Especially the forward group. Can any of you remember a younger version? Anybody know how we stack up the the rest of the league?
I believe we are fairly young. Unfortunately, our best players are not part of that group.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
DLR and McCarron are not big parts of my future plans. DLR might be our 4th line center but Look at the projected roster in 3 years... I don't have him in our top 9F. You example is trash

my example was disingenuous indeed but :

Mete (22) / Weber (35)
???? / Petry (33)
???? / Juulsen (23)

Price (33)
Lindgren (27)

that line up isn't that great either.

Galchenyuk and Drouin on a first line is a huge question mark if we can't land a true #1 center. we're talking about 50 points guy as of right now, that's not a great first line but maybe an acceptable one in a struggling team

Scherbak is struggling in the NHL so far so I have a very hard time imagining him on a 2nd line. Poehling is still just a project and a "maybe". it might as well also just be (????) there just in case. Gallagher is fine there, ideally in a cup contending team you'd want him on a 3rd line but i'm not against it

That third line is ok

35 year old banged up Weber is somewhat of a question mark, still good but that pairing depends on Mete growing up fast, which is not something dman tend to do

the rest is fine, although Juulsen is still a question mark IMO

Price is still good

---

so even following your roadmap, in 3 years we'll have a team that MIGHT make the playoffs or at least fight for it

but it will now be an aging team that won't be near being a cup contending team, so what's the point?

Reactions: Peanut

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
According to some, this team is old and needs to be rebuild :laugh:.

Hard to pin point the age as we have so many injuries. I do think our age 25 and under core is lacking multiple pieces that we need to compete but we have quantity. It's taken years to recover from those terrible 4 years of drafting from 2008-2011. We have a ways to go yet but it's taking shape... if you can separate yourself from this seasons lack of success and look at the demographics of our roster age 25 and under.

Believe it or not but I do believe we are younger than the Leafs or we are very close to it. Our oldest asset is Weber at age 32.

Roster in 3 years...

Mete (22) / Weber (35)
???? / Petry (33)
???? / Juulsen (23)

Price (33)
Lindgren (27)

Are people supposed to be impressed by that roster? It's awful. And yes, this team needs to be in tanking mode for the next 3+ years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I've seen this argument a lot during last couple seasons but how is this team young besides having a lot of callups at this moment?

2011/2012
Markov (32)
Plekanec (28)
Gorges (27)
A.Kostitsyn (26)
Desharnais (25)
Emelin (25)
Price (24)
Subban (22)
Pacioretty (22)
Eller (22)
Leblanc (20)
Yannick Weber (22)

2012/2013
Markov (33)
Plekanec (29)
Gorges (28)
Desharnais (26)
Emelin (26)
Price (25)
Subban (23)
Pacioretty (23)
Eller (23)
Gallagher (20)
Galchenyuk (18)

Now instead of Subban/Pacioretty being the key under 25 players we have Drouin/Galchenyuk.

2011-2012: You forgot Spacek (37), Gill (36), Cole (33), Gionta (33), Kaberle (33)

2012-2013: You forgot Bouillon (37), Cole (34), Gionta (34), Kaberle (34).

Oldest part of our team today is Weber (32). But hey, I'm sure your comeback will be Hemsky (34) and Niemi (34) and they are huge parts of our team today :biglaugh:

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Galchenyuk, Drouin, Mete, Juulsen, Scherbak and Lehkonen have a future better then what we see today. Unsure about the rest of the young players. It really isn't that bad and if we add an elite prospect through the draft this year + a few potential hits in the second round and I'm sure we'll be well on our way to, finally, building through the draft. Maybe that was Bergy's five year plan. Wait five years to have a plan. Could be a painful wait and there's no guarantee of success.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Are people supposed to be impressed by that roster? It's awful. And yes, this team needs to be in tanking mode for the next 3+ years.

Also, the idea is these players grow and mature. Something players in their 20's do but I guess for the Habs, it don't apply with you.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
my example was disingenuous indeed but :

that line up isn't that great either.

Galchenyuk and Drouin on a first line is a huge question mark if we can't land a true #1 center. we're talking about 50 points guy as of right now, that's not a great first line but maybe an acceptable one in a struggling team

Scherbak is struggling in the NHL so far so I have a very hard time imagining him on a 2nd line. Poehling is still just a project and a "maybe". it might as well also just be (????) there just in case. Gallagher is fine there, ideally in a cup contending team you'd want him on a 3rd line but i'm not against it

That third line is ok

35 year old banged up Weber is somewhat of a question mark, still good but that pairing depends on Mete growing up fast, which is not something dman tend to do

the rest is fine, although Juulsen is still a question mark IMO

Price is still good

---

so even following your roadmap, in 3 years we'll have a team that MIGHT make the playoffs or at least fight for it

but it will now be an aging team that won't be near being a cup contending team, so what's the point?

That line-up is 3 years down the road and they are still on the right side of 30. That is the point in case you didn't notice.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes, everything will go right and everyone will reach their ceilings and some will even surpass that. If everything went right for everybody, every team would be a Cup winner.

No, not everything will go right. I didn't say that. Your exaggeration don't help you make your point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad