Speculation: Is This The Begining of A Perfect Storm For The Leafs?

Leafs For Life*

I really want to tank this year. But Idk if it would be smart, as we have Kessel, Phaneuf, Gardiner, Kulemin as FA's after the next year. We would get to about 55M with 16 players.

pacdunes

Jan 24, 2011
Arizona & San Fran
That is the big thing about Burke gone that hurts the most. Whether you liked the move or not, Burke had the balls to make it happen. Whether signing someone in the summer or potential trading up in the draft or making a big trade (whether you liked it or not) out of nowhere.

Can Nonis do all that? Or will it be a couple of dime a dozen signings here, some 2nds for Clarke MacArthur types there, draft a guy like Faksa in the first and hope for the best.

My fear is instead of a big splash, its gonna be a lot of that and rinse, lather, repeat. Not saying that Burke's gambling paid off, though it did sometimes, but if we have a relatively safe guy, I fear we will just be going with the motions, like a Phoenix or Nashville. Teams with a few blue chippers, who make a few small deals here and there, sometimes have success, but in the end, never have the talent to do it all.
we all love that big splash he made with the Kessel trade.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
According to the Vancouver crowd, Nonis definitely is not that man. But we'll find out soon enough what sort of man he is.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
It's a great plan. If only the Leafs tank the season. Sorry not tank, 'play the young guys'.

Which they won't.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
You could make the trade before the draft, then buy the player out once the off-season starts.

However, is anyone sure yet that it will be possible to use amnesty buy-outs on players acquired by trade? It would be a great tool for us to use if it's one that is available to us, but I could also see there being a rule where you can only use those amnesties on players you've inked yourself.

Ahh of course. Thx

Well good luck with this plan. It would be nice to see all the Canadian teams in the playoffs at some point.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
i think we should blow the team up or the very least trade phaneuf and start a real rebuild.

1 year of kessel after this, probably cant trade him for good enough return, hope he re-signs.

HOTD

Jan 11, 2013
i think we should blow the team up or the very least trade phaneuf and start a real rebuild.

1 year of kessel after this, probably cant trade him for good enough return, hope he re-signs.

gas kessel

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I love the theories that we will sign all of these big ticket free agents. Who was the last elite player who signed with us as a FA?

As for tanking, its a good long term strategy, but hard to imagine that the new owners will be on board for 5 more years of losing before we start to see a turnaround. I personally think thats the best way to go, but I dont see it happening.

More realistically is more of the same. Bottom end team, but not bad enough to pick up the elite players in the draft. We have little to no elite talent in the system, and this has been the case for years, nothing changed under Burke. People will claim Riley is elite, but so was Schenn and Kadri at one point according to the "experts" on here.

There are few franchises in worse shape than ours. Sad but true.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I love the theories that we will sign all of these big ticket free agents. Who was the last elite player who signed with us as a FA?

As for tanking, its a good long term strategy, but hard to imagine that the new owners will be on board for 5 more years of losing before we start to see a turnaround. I personally think thats the best way to go, but I dont see it happening.

More realistically is more of the same. Bottom end team, but not bad enough to pick up the elite players in the draft. We have little to no elite talent in the system, and this has been the case for years, nothing changed under Burke. People will claim Riley is elite, but so was Schenn and Kadri at one point according to the "experts" on here.

Belfour, Cujo, Mogilny, Nieuwendyk and Roberts were all UFAs.

Toronto was a darn good team under the Quinn era with these guys. The Leafs finally have some core pieces worth building around. Now we just need 2 to possibly as many as 4 more. UFAs can help with that but can't be the magic solution on its own.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The next 7 months is going to be crazy. Its going to feel like a whole year sqeezed in

The next week - Like Trade deadline day and free agency all in one week

Jan-April - A whole season

April 5th - The real trade deadline day

May-June playoffs???

Draft

Free Agency

Going to be intense

Mar 12, 2009
Dave Nonis is a patient man, one who views all the angles before making a move. Well, a perfect storm is brewing in the NHL, and the Leafs could be one of the best positioned teams to take advantage. If you wanted to rebuild this thing in short order, there won't be a better opportunity than the next 7 - 8 months.

Think about it:

Currently, this team has major holes that could result in another poor finish, but as Nonis just took over, he can afford it this year (but not next year).

With the new CBA, teams have to shave about $10 million in cap this summer - and the Leafs are in the best position in the NHL to help them do that. Yes, other teams have less cap committed going forward - but with significant pieces to re-sign with that space. The Leafs only have Lupul, and with a Komisarek buy-out, we're rocking. Not only would we have the space - we have the $$ to use it as well.

The new CBA allows to for two free buy-outs, this summer and next. Most teams can't afford the $$, whether it's against the cap or not. Well, the Leafs can, and the for the small fee of a prospect / pick ....

This upcoming draft is being hailed as one of the best in years ...

The upcoming UFA crop is being hailed as one of the best in years ...

You put all the pieces together, and a smart, patient, calculating GM could pull off a clean sweep ... is Nonis that man? Maybe ...

Almost every draft seems to get that type of hype at some point. It looks like a good draft, but I feel like I hear "the best in years" almost every year and it tends to lose meaning for me at least.

Durkin67

Dave Nonis is a patient man, one who views all the angles before making a move. Well, a perfect storm is brewing in the NHL, and the Leafs could be one of the best positioned teams to take advantage. If you wanted to rebuild this thing in short order, there won't be a better opportunity than the next 7 - 8 months.

Think about it:

Currently, this team has major holes that could result in another poor finish, but as Nonis just took over, he can afford it this year (but not next year).

With the new CBA, teams have to shave about $10 million in cap this summer - and the Leafs are in the best position in the NHL to help them do that. Yes, other teams have less cap committed going forward - but with significant pieces to re-sign with that space. The Leafs only have Lupul, and with a Komisarek buy-out, we're rocking. Not only would we have the space - we have the $$ to use it as well.

The new CBA allows to for two free buy-outs, this summer and next. Most teams can't afford the $$, whether it's against the cap or not. Well, the Leafs can, and the for the small fee of a prospect / pick ....

This upcoming draft is being hailed as one of the best in years ...

The upcoming UFA crop is being hailed as one of the best in years ...

You put all the pieces together, and a smart, patient, calculating GM could pull off a clean sweep ... is Nonis that man? Maybe ...

Interesting perspective, certainly well thought out. I personally dont think the Leafs will be a lottery team this year. Lupul is in a contract year. He's going to play out of his mind in my opinion, and I think JVR is going to shock everyone with how capable he is of being a top 6 player. Kamorov is going to be a nightmare for the opposition, and the entire bottom 6 could be a handful with 2 really great faceoff men, Brown, Leo, possibly Broll, and maybe even a return of Colton Orr, who has apparently worked pretty diligently on his overall game. If the Leafs lock up a good goalie, or if the Reimer-Scrivens tandem can hold it down for 48 games, I think they finish middle of the pack, and look to trading top assets (Read: Kessel) to get themselves that top young gun they need. Nonis has a golden opportunity to turn the Kessel situation around before it becomes a major distraction for the entire team next year when the media fixates on his contract status and speculates daily on the possible return he would fetch. Neither Nonis or Kessel need the headache. Time to move on. That's the "clean sweep" that everyone needs from this scenario. My .02

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

if there was ever a time when ownership of this team would allow a full rebuild I would think it would take place right when there's new owners. there not the ones whose seen there team miss the playoffs for 7 straight years and start to get upset about it. this is a cleanslate and fresh start for this ownership, I doubt they would mind missing for a couple of years aslong as we get a couple of Elite Prospects to build around and sell alot of Merchandise for.

tho I have no idea what there gonna do I'm hoping for a rebuild. for those who want Getzlaf forget him if were going fantasy land here why not wait till 2014 and get Malkin when he becomes a UFA.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
The Leafs have not imposed this so called "financial advantage" on anybody, so it's unrealistic to think any different. If you want an example of a team that does this, look to the Flyers pushing the Predators around. They've screwed them with that Weber contract and the new CBA.

Some of what is outlined in the OP is also either inaccurate or misleading with an overestimation of buying players out.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Every team has 2 buyouts so i have no idea why people think the Leafs are a better situation than most teams .

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Every team has 2 buyouts so i have no idea why people think the Leafs are a better situation than most teams .

They have financial clout to trade for a couple of bad contracts and other assets, and use their buyouts on them. Many teams don't have the cash to actually execute a large buyout.
The only potential buyout is Komisarek and given that his contract would only have a year left, what's the point?
Mind you I am assuming that teams will be able to buy out players acquired via trade.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Belfour, Cujo, Mogilny, Nieuwendyk and Roberts were all UFAs.

Toronto was a darn good team under the Quinn era with these guys. The Leafs finally have some core pieces worth building around. Now we just need 2 to possibly as many as 4 more. UFAs can help with that but can't be the magic solution on its own.

First, thanks for proving my point. Its been a long time since the team was relevant for free agents.

Second, those teams had Sundin. We dont have a guy like that today that you can call a cornerstone. I dont see how an FA would look at the Leafs vs say the Wings or even the Habs, and say I'll come to Toronto.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
They have financial clout to trade for a couple of bad contracts and other assets, and use their buyouts on them. Many teams don't have the cash to actually execute a large buyout.
The only potential buyout is Komisarek and given that his contract would only have a year left, what's the point?
Mind you I am assuming that teams will be able to buy out players acquired via trade.

I understand what you're saying but i don't see any team giving us a high quality player as well as a dump just to save a few mil .

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Exactly one year ago today this team was 6th in the east and 9 points out of first. Does any one here think that if Lou was the goalie on January 11/12 that the Leafs would have missed the playoffs? How have we gone from pretty good to hopeless so fast? Chicken littles.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012

I'm all for rebuilding but this team has not made the playoffs since 04 making us the only team out of 30 to accomplish that, a proper rebuild takes anywhere from 5 to 10 years. If you think about it, its already been close to 10 years since we last saw the playoffs, 15-20 years of missing is just not acceptable.

What needs to be done is certain spots need to be cleaned up and certain players need to go "bye bye". For starters Riemer/Scrivens in net IMO is not the way to go, one or both need to go and a guy like Luongo needs to come in, easily he gives us the best goaltending since pre 2004. Next up guys like Liles/Komi need to go and we need to bring in defensive defencmen in their place, the problem with the blueline is there are far too many offensive blueliners and not many who are good in their own end. The 4th line is fine, 3rd line needs to be addressed though because we lack a solid shut down line. We also need more grit/toughness up front but that can easily be addressed via trade and free agency, that I'm not too worried about.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Exactly one year ago today this team was 6th in the east and 9 points out of first. Does any one here think that if Lou was the goalie on January 11/12 that the Leafs would have missed the playoffs? How have we gone from pretty good to hopeless so fast? Chicken littles.

Thats a really good question, a loaded one but a good one none the less. I feel that if Luongo was here this time last year and with the roster we currently have I say we squeak into the 7th or 8th spot and give a team like the rangers a scare in the 1st round. Heck Ottawa squeaked in and they surprisingly fought the Rangers tooth/nail in the 1st round and this was despite Ottawa not having a true #1 in net. Had the leafs gotten 8th and faced the rangers it would have been an epic dual between Luongo and Lundquvist, not saying the leafs for sure would win but the chance exists they squeak past the rangers.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Thats a really good question, a loaded one but a good one none the less. I feel that if Luongo was here this time last year and with the roster we currently have I say we squeak into the 7th or 8th spot and give a team like the rangers a scare in the 1st round. Heck Ottawa squeaked in and they surprisingly fought the Rangers tooth/nail in the 1st round and this was despite Ottawa not having a true #1 in net. Had the leafs gotten 8th and faced the rangers it would have been an epic dual between Luongo and Lundquvist, not saying the leafs for sure would win but the chance exists they squeak past the rangers.

That is my point if your from Kingston you know that the Sens fans are full of optimism and allready predicting the "elite" status that they cherish so much. Don't think that the Leafs are in as bad of shape as is the popular opinion

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not every team has the money to actually use those buy outs.

I doubt MLSE wants to spend their money buying out and paying off other teams mistakes.

How does that make the Leafs better?

Those amnesty buyouts are get out of jail free cards and if not used by some teams there is no loss to incurred other than they go away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad