Post-Game Talk: IS THIS A GOOD ENOUGH PGT THREAD FOR YA BRUINS?! LEAFS WIN 4-2!

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
The Boston defense is a lot slower than I thought.

Throw it into the opposite corner, and the Toronto winger is usually the first one there with lots of room.

That was a big difference tonight from the first two games.

The other difference was more physical play from both the defense and forwards. Plekanec, always leading with the crosscheck.

The defense rubbing out people along the boards, hard. You got to wear them out with the hitting. If you don't do that, they will wear you out sooner or later and take the series.

It is a good thing there is an extra day to the next game. Leafs always do better with rest.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Good win, but we will not win this series if we continue to play this poor defensively. We got very lucky tonight with Boston hitting a few posts and Andersen making that one amazing save. The giveaways up the middle, the missed assignments... it's unsustainable. Leafs really need to tighten up.

Reactions: NoName

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Good win, but we will not win this series if we continue to play this poor defensively. We got very lucky tonight with Boston hitting a few posts and Andersen making that one amazing save. The giveaways up the middle, the missed assignments... it's unsustainable. Leafs really need to tighten up.

Kapanen hit a post and Andy let in a couple of soft ones, which made the game closer than it is. We deserved this game. But yeah, we could still be better.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I watched on NBC and you’d think that missed call on the clear in the first was the worst thing they’ve ever seen.
The Leafs got their pay-back karma for some questionable officiating decisions in Boston. No more b*tching about reffing for a while; that power-play was the big difference maker this game... If the Leafs hadn't gotten it, then game 4 might very well be an elimination game for them.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Sure but the Leafs have had their fair share of untimely posts in this series. It wouldn’t be close to a one goal game if Andersen didn’t give up two bad goals before he settled in.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
True... but the Bruins got an insane amount of puck luck in game 1 and especially game 2. Leafs were due for the hockey gods to give them one back. Can't count on that again though.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
What a flippin game by Marleau. He was a force tonight with Plek and Marner. Nice to get Matthews going a bit and nice to see Andy make some big saves when they were needed most. Good entertaining game but we know we can be even better.

After all the doom and gloom in the pre game thread, I guess Babcock wasn't insane for trying that line.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Sure but the Leafs have had their fair share of untimely posts in this series. It wouldn’t be close to a one goal game if Andersen didn’t give up two bad goals before he settled in.

Absolutely. We just can't rely on outscoring our defensive issues. If the Leafs get their bounces and the Bruins get their bounces, it's a 5-4 or 6-5 win. But we know you don't win sustainably that way.

I don't want to crap all over a win. I'm elated. I'm just hesitant to gloss over the flaws I saw in this game, which were carryovers from the first two games. We need to be even better next game.

Reactions: Pi

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Babcock would have to be stupid to mess with a winning lineup for Komarov.

Plekanec looks so much better away from Komarov.

And yet I wouldn't put it past him that he will. Babcock is pretty stubborn.

Reactions: TMLS

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
Don't disagree with you there. But remember that when Marchand was asked who he hated most against, his answer was "Plekanek". It shows tonight.
If the Plek-Marner-Marleau line can consistently anniliate Boston's top line - arguably the deadliest in all of NHL while contributing offensively (like they did tonight), why change it?
This would also free up Kadri to center a third line that should have an advantage over Boston's 3rd and Mathews' line against their 2nd. I like the sound of it.

I like the idea of freeing up kadri n shutting down marchand line too but the kadri marner marleau line did the shutdown duties along with scoring only second to the Matthews line. So if the line is going now with plakenic i can bet my life it is going to only get better with naz on it.

I know it can be inticing to keep plakenic at 2nd cause it's working but kadri at 4th line is a huge waste of skill, the guy will be going crazy to get back in. At max play him with kap n AJ for the first period or so n shift him back to 2nd line once he gets going

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Absolutely. We just can't rely on outscoring our defensive issues. If the Leafs get their bounces and the Bruins get their bounces, it's a 5-4 or 6-5 win. But we know you don't win sustainably that way.

I don't want to crap all over a win. I'm elated. I'm just hesitant to gloss over the flaws I saw in this game, which were carryovers from the first two games. We need to be even better next game.

100%. We need to be even better. We still gave Boston a lot of freebies in this game that they didn’t convert. Unforced errors are the worst, it’s a lot more palatable if the Bruins work hard to get a goal. We had some bad turnovers that I’m sure will get taken care of.

Boston knows we mean business, they will come to play so we have to play better than we did this game. I just hope Freddie is dialed in from the start of the game. It was resilient of the team to come back from two very deflating goals that tied the game when the Leafs had pretty much all of the momentum.

Leafs need to play better with the lead. We won but we could be a lot better with the puck.

Our PK still scares me. Just find a way to tie this series.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
Babcock would have to be stupid to mess with a winning lineup for Komarov.

Plekanec looks so much better away from Komarov.
EVERYONE looks so much better away from Komorov. He is a depth KHL level player now. I really hope he is injured for rest of the playoffs tho bc 100% Egocock will play him again and give him top mins if he is healthy. Your underestimating the fetish Egocock has for him.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I like the idea of freeing up kadri n shutting down marchand line too but the kadri marner marleau line did the shutdown duties along with scoring only second to the Matthews line. So if the line is going now with plakenic i can bet my life it is going to only get better with naz on it.

I know it can be inticing to keep plakenic at 2nd cause it's working but kadri at 4th line is a huge waste of skill, the guy will be going crazy to get back in. At max play him with kap n AJ for the first period or so n shift him back to 2nd line once he gets going

One thing Plekanec has over Kadri on that line is Bergeron and Marchand seem to really dislike him. He was in their heads all game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad