Is there a team with a worse goaltending situation than the Sens?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
For Condon, there is no excuse.

For Andy, anyone who went through what he did last year...what has happened this year comes as no surprise to me, personally. When you are in "fighting for your life" mode, you find another level for everything that you do. Whether being a husband, cheerleader, father, or goaltender. Once that type of scenario wears off, you are left now to revisit the trauma that he and his wife went through, and he actually has time now to absorb it. Mentally.

Has nothing to do with Andy being "old". He is mentally exhausted. And while he is killing my team's season, I feel for him.

The issue of him being mentally exhausted because of what he went through has crossed my mind this season a lot, it seems like that could definitely be the case, but only Andy knows that.

I know our goalies have been bad this year, but the confidence in a goalie thing always comes off as a one way street to me. If a team doesn't have confidence in a goalie it can cause them to second guess and not push as much and are scared any shot could go in right? How come it never gets brought up the flip side of that? What if a goalie doesn't have confidence in their defense? It also can affect their game as well. They won't come out to challenge shots as much, they will overplay and cheat in certain situations too.

If you know any rebound you potentially give out has a good shot at being a second chance for the other team, or your D players are not going to be covering the slot, or out in front of the net, it messes with a goalies game too.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
Trade away young goalie = check
Resign 36 year old = check
Backup is useless = check

Just bad luck / all worth it because we went to the ECF.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Some people perform well under pressure/stress...perhaps Andy is one of those guys, with the seeming pressure off (Wife doing better, new contract) perhaps he is not able to get back into the groove.

Pressure is weird like that some excel under it and others fold.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Yeah and they dont have money tied into starters with no upside. I can still see Markstrom and Nilsson get better at the NHL level not our guys. Its hilarous how piss poor every move Dorion has made has been thus far.

Funny how even dealing Hammond is now biting him in the behind. IMO Hammond would have deserved at least a start or two by now.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Funny how even dealing Hammond is now biting him in behind. IMO Hammond would have deserved at least a start or two by now.

We had to deal Hammond to equalize salary in the Duchene deal since Duchene makes 2M more than Turris and we were paying Hammond 1.5M to sit in the minors. I don't think Hammond would help.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I don't think Hammond would help.

Couldn't be worse than Condon/Anderson. Hammond has a better NHL career save percentage than Condon and that was before this season started, so really I think he may helped more than you think. Not saying that he would lead this team to a playoff spot or anything, he would just maybe keep games closer a little longer.

That being said, no NHL goaltender would be able to stop many pucks with the d-zone coverage provided by this team.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Big problem about our goalies is the 1st round draft pick we don't have next year, if the goalies don't show up for the 2019 season, Ottawa's in a serious world of hurt.

Heading into the summer and looking at the other 30 teams goaltending and what's available, I'd take a determined Andy for a full summer of working on his game then gambling and handing the keys to the net to a goalie like Mike Smith or Steve Mason.

I've got concerns about Andy long term, but I'm not sure if there's anything out there I'd want to sign long term.

Reactions: topshelf15

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Other issue is the last 3 times we made the playoffs, the runs were handled by Lehner/Bishop, Hamburglar, Condon - no Andy on that list.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Big problem about our goalies is the 1st round draft pick we don't have next year, if the goalies don't show up for the 2019 season, Ottawa's in a serious world of hurt.

Heading into the summer and looking at the other 30 teams goaltending and what's available, I'd take a determined Andy for a full summer of working on his game then gambling and handing the keys to the net to a goalie like Mike Smith or Steve Mason.

I've got concerns about Andy long term, but I'm not sure if there's anything out there I'd want to sign long term.
Probably why PD resigned him to a 2 year extension,i can get the frustration.But the the reality is whom else was going to be available that would have been better??

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
With Bishop maybe we have a few more wins because he could be amazing and we’d probably still suck, and with Lehner we might have even a better shot at Dahlin?

Lehner has a .910 SV% and a 2.94 GAA this year playing in front of a worse defense.

Look at how his backup is doing in comparison: Johnson has a .881 SV% and a 3.76 GAA in the games he has played this year.

His numbers are better than either of our goalies, and actually look pretty decent considering how big of a tire fire Buffalo has been.

Reactions: Sens

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
If the organization did not give picks and prospects away they'd have the depth to move a 1st or 2nd for a good goaltender.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Lehner has a .910 SV% and a 2.94 GAA this year playing in front of a worse defense.

Look at how his backup is doing in comparison: Johnson has a .881 SV% and a 3.76 GAA in the games he has played this year.

His numbers are better than either of our goalies, and actually look pretty decent considering how big of a tire fire Buffalo has been.

Buffalo ranks 5th in scoring chances against while Ottawa is ranked 17th, from low to high. So I would say Buffalo D has been much better than Ottawa this season. They just don't generate much scoring chances for themselves either. Lehner has actually been playing the best he has ever played for Buffalo since mid-December that is true, we shall see if that lasts.

Edit: Also, Lehner has a higher expected save percentage than Andy, which insinuates Buffalo's D has performed better in front of Lehner than Ottawa in front of Andy. Lehner is 5th and Andy is 25th.

Last edited:

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
If the organization did not give picks and prospects away they'd have the depth to move a 1st or 2nd for a good goaltender.

Anderson/Condon or another player with some sort of salary would have to be going out as well. Also, I don't really see any good goalies available currently.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Anderson/Condon or another player with some sort of salary would have to be going out as well. Also, I don't really see any good goalies available currently.

Goalies always become available though... we don't even have the flexibility to solve the problem

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Buffalo ranks 5th in scoring chances against while Ottawa is ranked 17th, from low to high. So I would say Buffalo D has been much better than Ottawa this season. They just don't generate much scoring chances for themselves either. Lehner has actually been playing the best he has ever played for Buffalo since mid-December that is true, we shall see if that lasts.

Edit: Also, Lehner has a higher expected save percentage than Andy, which insinuates Buffalo's D has performed better in front of Lehner than Ottawa in front of Andy. Lehner is 5th and Andy is 25th.

Interesting, I didn't know that. I was basing of their personnel and their goals against totals.

I think Ottawa's defense, at least on paper, is superior to that of Buffalo, but it doesn't sound like that has been the case in regards to their actual performance.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
M

Maybe waive Gabriel Dumont??

Waive a perfectly capable 4th liner, under contract for next year, and most likley lose him ............ just to give a goaltender, probably three years away from the NHL, a looksee?

That would not be worth it. He needs a minimum two complete seasons in the AHL, as the starter, before he gets a "looksee game".

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Imagine we had bishop and lehner.

Imagine what Lehner would get next season (currently making $4 million) when he becomes a RFA......... and also having Bishop at a $4.917 Cap hit............. that would give the goal-tending a $10 Million plus chunk of the Cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad