Is there a team with a worse goaltending situation than the Sens?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We have two goalies who are both playing terrible right now, and are signed for too much money for too long. Both guys have SV% under .900 and GAA far above 3.00. Anderson is 36YRs old (all downhill from here), and Condon is a 27YR old undrafted UFA that doesn't look like starter material

Not only that, but our goaltending pipeline is very poor. Hogberg looks like he has the potential to be a starter, but is no sure thing. Kid has spent most of his year playing in the ECHL because of Lee's mismanagement of Belleville's goalie situation, and obviously needs a year or two to play as the starter in Belleville before we consider bringing him up to play in the NHL full-time.

Beyond Hogberg we have long-shots like Daccord and Hollett who are many years away from sniffing NHL time and, like with most late-round goalie picks, there's a very good chance they end up busting completely.

In short, we have two sub-par goalies signed for 2 more years at an average of 7.5M a year, with no stud future #1 goalie to replace them during that period.

What can be done to fix the atrocious situation in goal that Dorion has put us in?

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Case could be made for the Islanders. They are spending more money on their tenders and are tied with Arizona for worst sv% in the league. Not sure who they have in their system as a possible successor for the starting role.

So optimistically, maybe one team has a worse situation?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Case could be made for the Islanders. They are spending more money on their tenders and are tied with Arizona for worst sv% in the league. Not sure who they have in their system as a possible successor for the starting role.

So optimistically, maybe one team has a worse situation?

Halak and Greiss might be worse this season, but the Islanders have two stud goalie prospects in Sorokin and Soderstrom coming through the pipeline. Plus Halak is coming off the books this year.

Their goaltending situation just sucks now, but looks pretty promising in the future. Ours sucks now and doesn't look all that promising in the future.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Halak and Greiss might be worse this season, but the Islanders have two stud goalie prospects in Sorokin and Soderstrom coming through the pipeline. Plus Halak is coming off the books this year.

Their goaltending situation just sucks now, but looks pretty promising in the future. Ours sucks now and doesn't look all that promising in the future.

Okay well then no. There goes the optimism...

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Even better news? Andy and Condon are getting raises next year. Lol!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Andy love you man. But you ain’t got it this year and you were drafted in the same year as Chris Kelly

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I must admit, when we resigned Craig I was really enthusiastic and happy about it all and didn’t see it being a massive issue.

But even if I’ve got to eat crow, he’s done a complete 180 and sucks. Yes, the whole team in front doesn’t help but you could usually rely on Craig to bail us out but no, not this year.

Wish we just got Niemi off waivers, how much worse could be he :laugh:

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Vancouver’s goaltending is pretty bad this year. But I don’t think anyone is as bad as ours over the last two months.

They've got a good one waiting in Thatcher Demko who should be ready for the NHL in about a year and they drafted Michael Dipietro last year so similar my point, their future looks much brighter than Ottawa's.

Maraz

Jan 25, 2015
The right question should be - what is team management going to do with our goalie situation?

If our goaltending situation is the worst in league or if it is second to last is irrelevant. It is still one of the worst.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There was in Dallas, but they managed to get out of that.

Hopefully both guys can bounce back, but right about now if I'm Pierre Groulx I'm not feeling too secure in my job.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We have two goalies who are both playing terrible right now, and are signed for too much money for too long. Both guys have SV% under .900 and GAA far above 3.00. Anderson is 36YRs old (all downhill from here), and Condon is a 27YR old undrafted UFA that doesn't look like starter material

Not only that, but our goaltending pipeline is very poor. Hogberg looks like he has the potential to be a starter, but is no sure thing. Kid has spent most of his year playing in the ECHL because of Lee's mismanagement of Belleville's goalie situation, and obviously needs a year or two to play as the starter in Belleville before we consider bringing him up to play in the NHL full-time.

Beyond Hogberg we have long-shots like Daccord and Hollett who are many years away from sniffing NHL time and, like with most late-round goalie picks, there's a very good chance they end up busting completely.

In short, we have two sub-par goalies signed for 2 more years at an average of 7.5M a year, with no stud future #1 goalie to replace them during that period.

What can be done to fix the atrocious situation in goal that Dorion has put us in?

I completely agree with you

hopefully we get a bounce back up year from Anderson next year and a starter for the 19 20 season.

and Condon really showed Hammy how it's done. Hammy spun a 25 game stretch into 4 million. Condon spun it into 9 million.

I don't have a lot of issues with what Dorion has done with the skaters but he sure made a mess of our goaltending

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I'm thinking that even teams that have lost their #1 and backup goalies are better off than the Sens in nets.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Since Hogberg is splitting starts with 3 other goalies, why not just call him up and start him tonight? Can't be worse than the two we got going right now.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I must admit, when we resigned Craig I was really enthusiastic and happy about it all and didn’t see it being a massive issue.

But even if I’ve got to eat crow, he’s done a complete 180 and sucks. Yes, the whole team in front doesn’t help but you could usually rely on Craig to bail us out but no, not this year.

I didn't like the contract. Too much and he's too old. That's the type of contract you give to a Hall of Fame goaltender still bringing it. When the leafs would make the playoffs with cujo or belfour carrying them into their late 30s...sure, you give them 5 million a year...but not Anderson who's known to be hot and cold.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

It shouldn't have been a massive issue, at least not this year. It was still ill advised though, as there really was very little benefit to getting it done when we did, and, as we now see, plenty of risk.

I questioned the timing at the time, but was willing to brush it off. Anderson's fall from grace came far quicker than I think any should/would have predicted, but looking back, he showed some signs last year in the playoffs of not being as consistently sharp as he once was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad