Is the FHL back to 5 teams?

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
It's not against the rules to post on-subject links to any article, nor is it any harder to post links to articles that are subscription only or behind paywalls. It's against the rules to post the article in its entirety no matter the source.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It's not against the rules to post on-subject links to any article, nor is it any harder to post links to articles that are subscription only or behind paywalls. It's against the rules to post the article in its entirety no matter the source.
believe me, you cannot post links to any newspaper in the Western Tier of New York.... Elmira or Binghamton, are connected and Television is worse in those two markets, that's not Buffalo or Syracuse

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
believe me, you cannot post links to any newspaper in the Western Tier of New York.... Elmira or Binghamton, are connected and Television is worse in those two markets, that's not Buffalo or Syracuse
You most certainly can post the link. Then, if the paper has a paywall or subscription policy the person who clicks on the link can make their own decision about whether they want to continue. In at least some cases, members on this forum have subscriptions to those papers, or have agreed to whatever policy the paper has in place. You aren't allowed to circumvent that policy by copying a pasting the article here, but you can direct other members to where the information is and let them make their own decisions about that site's policies.

Reactions: 210

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
You most certainly can post the link. Then, if the paper has a paywall or subscription policy the person who clicks on the link can make their own decision about whether they want to continue. In at least some cases, members on this forum have subscriptions to those papers, or have agreed to whatever policy the paper has in place. You aren't allowed to circumvent that policy by copying a pasting the article here, but you can direct other members to where the information is and let them make their own decisions about that site's policies.
royals, it was breaking when it was posted aka 'developing' all Elmira news sources were all running the same article/source.... WETM is absolutely terrible and when the Jackals were in existence you got much better coverage of what was transpiring that led to the demise eventually of the franchise and the saga, believe me, I'VE checked constantly since the story broke that Elmira is a 'go' in the FHL, Binghamton's media is the same way, either they don't bother with that or don't offer said service, whether subscription or paywall based

that is what I'M DOING when I do post

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Y'all're gonna develop carpal tunnel syndrome in this futile attempt.

royals, it was breaking when it was posted aka 'developing' all Elmira news sources were all running the same article/source.... WETM is absolutely terrible and when the Jackals were in existence you got much better coverage of what was transpiring that led to the demise eventually of the franchise and the saga, believe me, I'VE checked constantly since the story broke that Elmira is a 'go' in the FHL, Binghamton's media is the same way, either they don't bother with that or don't offer said service, whether subscription or paywall based

that is what I'M DOING when I do post

Again, PLEASE post links backing up claims. I honestly don't know what the difficulty is with that. All we're asking for here is a URL. You don't have to use some "service" through the site, just cut and paste the URL.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Again, PLEASE post links backing up claims. I honestly don't know what the difficulty is with that. All we're asking for here is a URL. You don't have to use some "service" through the site, just cut and paste the URL.
guess Elmira has no page to link to and most of this is not privy to this forum I don't see Facebook links on here which is where all of this is right now so, NO..... APPARENTLY Elmira discussion is forbidden on this forum

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
It's not forbidden. You can post the URL to their Facebook post, you know. Or hey, look here

Hockey returning to Elmira's First Arena?

The Chemung County Executive's Office says, after a short hiatus, Jackals owner Robbie Nichols has agreed in principle to bring hockey back for the 2018-2019 season.

The arena hasn’t been used for hockey since the 2016-2017 season.

The team would be part of the Federal Hockey League.

The paperwork still has to be signed. And, the IDA has to approve the deal.

Again, I fail to see the difficulty here.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It's not forbidden. You can post the URL to their Facebook post, you know. Or hey, look here

Hockey returning to Elmira's First Arena?

Again, I fail to see the difficulty here.
see, that story wasn't there when it first came out, GP..... and it's more than one source they may say it's done, but if First Arena isn't retrofitted by October then it's not happening

the report that I SAW at the time I referenced had nothing to what the above link said, because as I referenced it is extremely hard to read anything from that region to even link to anything, and I'D RATHER not violate the source rules on copyright material, that's all, it's a preference I'D Rather TRY TO STAY AWAY FROM

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
see, that story wasn't there when it first came out, GP..... and it's more than one source they may say it's done, but if First Arena isn't retrofitted by October then it's not happening

the report that I SAW at the time I referenced had nothing to what the above link said, because as I referenced it is extremely hard to read anything from that region to even link to anything, and I'D RATHER not violate the source rules on copyright material, that's all, it's a preference I'D Rather TRY TO STAY AWAY FROM

Let us worry about the source rules on copyright. By providing a link and a short summary or even quote (20 lines or less) you're squarely within fair use because you've A) Attributed the quote and B) Not copied and pasted it wholesale.

Reactions: 210 and CHRDANHUTCH

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Links this and that, all straw grasping if you ask me. There is enough info to believe something is in the works. This is good for Elmira-Corning, First Arena, but it also helps the FHL retain a NY footprint.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I would say this is as close to a done deal as you can get. Last night at the Pioneers game they had season ticket forms out for the hockey team. I believe Nichols and the commissioner have some form of a history. For whatever its worth Nichols has had the franchise rights for this FHL team since March 2017 before the Jackals folding was announced. Makes this all seem suspicious. Then the guy who helped him get this deal done was the former right hand man of the county exec who retired this year. Now this guy is not only involved with the IDA but hes the sitting, acting, county exec and is running for the actual seat this fall. The whole thing going on 2 years to this has been nothing but a political powerplay

As for the league ittself I find it to be just as sketchy as the old AAHL. Dont really care for the ring leader either. Hes surely been around. The ECHL to me grew stale. I wouldnt mind something like the old UHL nut this isnt it. Forget the lack of quality but this league is hardly stable. Not going to sit here and say that I have kept up with it but from what I remember players had to work in season as well as play and they had to find their own way to get to games. This is nothing more than a Wednesday night local beer league. Unfortunately without deep pockets this area is very limited on something that fits.Although im scratching my head that I see theres a Carolina team in the league.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I also saw that article on Arena Digest. I've heard the NAHL has kicked the tires in the Southern Tier as well to relocate one of their attendance-poor East Division teams. Not completely familiar with the situation, but it would appear that there's an issue with the rink or the lease or something infrastructural that is a repelling some teams.

Having played Elmira College's D3 team this past season, their home rink (which by itself is a great barn, even though it looks like a golf ball sunk into the ground from outside) is probably 30 minutes north of the college into the wilderness even though they have this arena down the street. If the college isn't even playing games at the arena, there has to be something going on.

Playing there for a $1. They wont find better rent downtown.

Reactions: Outback Steakhouse

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Did not know that. I think it's the college's facility because we saw basketball players for the college practicing in one of the other domes. Didn't know the rent was $1, and they packed it pretty nicely when we played them too so their setup is too good to move.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
the arena itself needs structural upgrades, from what I'VE BEEN reading although Robbie Nichols has a standing offer to get a team there if that is done.... nothing I'VE read STATES the NAHL has any interest in Elmira knowing the history of how the Jackals ended or were portayed the last 5 or 6 years before their demise in 2017

The demise and the end was ALL political. Im no Afr fanboy but to be honest his exit has me more angry over time. A lot of people were promised a lot of things and when the politicians were screwed over they all balked and only came around when it fit the narrative. They then got a billionaire buddy of the chamber and politicians to buy the thing. He then put in that stupid bar everyone was against. He lost a "lot" of money and to get out of it turned the team over to some dumb board of 20 something random businessmen. They had no fionancial responsibility. The IDA did that. They were to find a buyer within this crtain timeframe. They had them. They just didnt want to take on the debt. The only guy interested was the guy they played last spring. There were problems yes but most of it was politicians sticking their nose where it doesnt belong.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
What I was told by the locals when I used to go up for Royals games is that Elmira College originally had a deal in place to play at First Arena, but then backed out. I don't think they ever played games there on a regular basis, so the fact that they aren't there now isn't due to the current state of the arena necessarily.

I believe the biggest issue with the building is replacing the ice making equipment. There were problems with the ice during the last season of the Jackals. There are other smaller issues too, but fixing or replacing the ice making equipment would probably be enough to get a team in the building.

Not jut the last season but I think it was 2010 or so they had those rings underneath the ice that had to be pulled,. The middle of the ice had that horrible line down center ice or so the rest of the season. That was about the beginning of the end for that ice. Then the equipment went. Afr was cheap and for years they basically duct taped stuff together down there. I stopped following hardcore after the Afr exit because I suspected Freeman would be no better than Afr and he wasnt, just a friend of the hoity toity power structure of the county and city so it became okay to them that he was as lousy as Afr. The repairs necesary are the biggest hurdle and the cost. I feel like they are giving Nichols a discount. Its almost as if they wont even be calling him arena owner. I think hes omly leasing it or that was his offer last summer anyway. The guy that was lined up to buy it like 16 months ago was going to pay off the debt of the place but was going to do that with necessary repairs and upgrades. The place got a paint job outside but I think the infastructure sucks and could use some real sprucing up along with ice maintenance repairs. This league has to be a joke if you can go from zero to one hundred jn just over three months.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
But if the FHL is coming to town, how many questions about the product can be left to ask?

Not on that. On the state of the arena and how they hope they can get everything done in such a short period of time.

The only hockey related question is, is it better to get a team again no mater the level or quality or have no team at all? The biggest lie from the IDA to Nichols on down is how this will boost the local economy. Give it a rest, the arena has been here 18 years and downtown is more dead now than when the arena came in.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I hope they dont get to steal state taxpayer dollars.

Thats a lot of stuff to fix in 3 months.

A rent of $125 a month? Talk about a charity case.

Living a pipe dream though. No big acts will come to a 4K arena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad