Is the FHL back to 5 teams?

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
To be clear, I was responding to the poster who suggested earlier in this thread that there was a possibility that the Colisee might be a possible site for a FED team. The thrust of my comments was to suggest that a Fed franchise would NOT succeed there as the Q franchise couldn't make a financial go of things.

The Timberwolves are the old Maine Moose team that couldn't draw 100 fans and the new owner was advertising on Craigslist for investors offering a 25% return. The NSHL is a far cry from the level of hockey that the Mainiacs were and are likely to fail quickly.

The new owner was also stating he was going to completely revamp the team and get a lot of new players. He then proceeded to call almost every player on the old Maine Moose team that was eligible to return and ask them to come back. SO judge for yourself about the potential for success.

As for Ron Cain and Jim Cain, they may NOT be related but to suggest Ron Cain isn't involved with the Colisee isn't correct. See below a copy from a recent publication about the new ownership of the Colisee.

Colisee Owner and General Manager Jim Cain asked for city approval to add investor Ron Cain, who has no relation to Jim, to the company.

As for your comments about the level of play in the FED well everyone has an opinion and you are entitled to yours, but to suggest that the Timberwolves are a better product (ergo implying they will succeed where the Q and previous teams have ) is disingenuous and frankly not based in any fact. I have seen the Timberwolves ( as the Maine Moose) play, I have seen the Mainiacs play and I have seen Fed level play ( tryout for free agents which had 3-5 Danbury players skating)

So I don't see the Fed going to the Colisee which was my original point of my response.

F1

PS: see follow on post from Berkshire Eagle......

I know what the articles say. I’ve written many of them for both the Sun Journal and Maine Hockey Journal, but I’m telling you that Ron Cain does not own any portion of the Colisee… He was working on purchasing a stake in the building, but it fell through last season and that’s why the Portland Junior Pirates USPHL team pulled its plan to play at Colisee and why the Timberwolves are there now.

I’ve been covering this story for several years and I’ve spoken with both Ron and Jim Cain about why the deal fell through. The reason is not for public consumption because it involves a minority investor in the building, but there is no animosity between them.

That’s it…

I’m going to argue the validity of the Timberwolves vs. the FHL…. I’m telling you fans here did not accept the FHL and it showed in the attendance figures. People don’t want the FHL – at least in its current form – in Lewiston. The Timberwolves are the former Maine Moose and yes they hardly drew, but it’s not a league that relies on a gate to survive. Jim Cain’s Firland Management works with the NSHL at several rinks they own and manage so whether Lewiston has an attendance of 50 people or 500 people it won’t really matter.

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
I dunno

WC,
'
You seem intent on making a point that would appear that you've somehow concluded that I was representing that an FHL team might be in the offing for the Colisee.

THAT IS MOST DEFINATELY NOT THE CASE ! As I stated in my previous post. We are in agreement that the Colisee wouldn't be a location for FHL team albeit for what might be different reasons underlying the conclusion. Your's apparently that the FED product was unacceptable to the Lewiston fans because it was a bad product. MY apologies if that's not your position. Mine being that even with a top notch product of a Major Junior team there wasn't enough sustained interest.

As for the Timberwolves, you view of success being that they are self sustaining due to collecting 'tuition' from players that should cover the costs is correct.

However, my view, of success is more involved. Success starts with honesty, and I gave two examples that suggested that the new ownership was being less than honest.

Success also depends on developing players and moving them on to college rosters. Too many owners and coaches forget that aspect of their roles at that level of Juniors.

But getting an opportunity to play in college is why so many players opt for playing Tier III Junior hockey. IE: Pay for play hockey.

Lastly, success, which is tied into player success, is winning games and developing a winning program.

At Tier III recruiting players requires an ability to get players from a wide range of places, especially non-traditional hockey markets and overseas. Nothing I know about the current Timberwolves ownership and team management suggest that they engender the respect that those types of relationships require.

As for Ron Cain's ownership interest, on December 28 the city council approved his buying an interest in the Colisee. Firland Mgt, was obligated to seek and get approval based on it's contract/agreement with the City. That's what I posted in previous reference to an article.

While I'm not contending that RC does or doesn't own a piece of the Colisee, the substance of your argument seems to be as follows, in substance:

don't believe what other writers say, ignore previously reported stories because I know better or more than they do...........

Seems a tad like the Wizard in the Land of Oz suggesting that we "ignore the man behind the curtain" LOL

That said, I'm sure you are right and I couldn't care less.

Lastly, and more importantly, I don't care about Ron Cain, if he does or doesn't have an interest in the Colisee. I have been interested, for my own reasons, in seeing that any information regarding the OP question about the Berlin franchise of the FHL is reported to any who are interested in knowing such information.

As I've said earlier in this post and I'll repeat again for the purposes of journalistic clarity, I WAS NOT INTENDING TO IMPLY, SUGGEST OR IN ANY OTHER WAY POSSIBLE THAT A FED TEAM FRANCHISE COULD OR WOULD SUCCEED IN THE COLISEE!

Hope that's clear enough. LOL

F1

Last edited:

Chitownshooter

Sep 5, 2014
Falconone, any new info on wether there will be a team in berlin or north Adams this season ?

For players looking to play there this needs to be resolved quickly

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
info

No more info, the Berkshire Eagle article suggested that Kirnan, the FED commissioner, indicated in some fashion that it would be quick decision. Sometime this coming week.

I usually type in a search for the Federal Hockey League look for news updates on the league.

You are right about players needing info quickly.

Will post when I hear something

F1

Last edited:

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
WC,
'
You seem intent on making a point that would appear that you've somehow concluded that I was representing that an FHL team might be in the offing for the Colisee.

THAT IS MOST DEFINATELY NOT THE CASE ! As I stated in my previous post. We are in agreement that the Colisee wouldn't be a location for FHL team albeit for what might be different reasons underlying the conclusion. Your's apparently that the FED product was unacceptable to the Lewiston fans because it was a bad product. MY apologies if that's not your position. Mine being that even with a top notch product of a Major Junior team there wasn't enough sustained interest.

As for the Timberwolves, you view of success being that they are self sustaining due to collecting 'tuition' from players that should cover the costs is correct.

However, my view, of success is more involved. Success starts with honesty, and I gave two examples that suggested that the new ownership was being less than honest.

Success also depends on developing players and moving them on to college rosters. Too many owners and coaches forget that aspect of their roles at that level of Juniors.

But getting an opportunity to play in college is why so many players opt for playing Tier III Junior hockey. IE: Pay for play hockey.

Lastly, success, which is tied into player success, is winning games and developing a winning program.

At Tier III recruiting players requires an ability to get players from a wide range of places, especially non-traditional hockey markets and overseas. Nothing I know about the current Timberwolves ownership and team management suggest that they engender the respect that those types of relationships require.

As for Ron Cain's ownership interest, on December 28 the city council approved his buying an interest in the Colisee. Firland Mgt, was obligated to seek and get approval based on it's contract/agreement with the City. That's what I posted in previous reference to an article.

While I'm not contending that RC does or doesn't own a piece of the Colisee, the substance of your argument seems to be as follows, in substance:

don't believe what other writers say, ignore previously reported stories because I know better or more than they do...........

Seems a tad like the Wizard in the Land of Oz suggesting that we "ignore the man behind the curtain" LOL

That said, I'm sure you are right and I couldn't care less.

Lastly, and more importantly, I don't care about Ron Cain, if he does or doesn't have an interest in the Colisee. I have been interested, for my own reasons, in seeing that any information regarding the OP question about the Berlin franchise of the FHL is reported to any who are interested in knowing such information.

As I've said earlier in this post and I'll repeat again for the purposes of journalistic clarity, I WAS NOT INTENDING TO IMPLY, SUGGEST OR IN ANY OTHER WAY POSSIBLE THAT A FED TEAM FRANCHISE COULD OR WOULD SUCCEED IN THE COLISEE!

Hope that's clear enough. LOL

F1
Nothing Wizard of Oz here.... Just letting you know that Ron Cain has no ownership role in the Colisee. The rest of it doesn't really matter to me either.

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Berlin no more, and now Berkshire Battalion are in their place. So is this team owned by the FHL then?

On a side note, whats up with these new teams logos that look like they were designed in Microsoft Paint? SW PA Magic and now Berkshire Battalion. Have a contest or something to design the logos/jerseys. Get some fans behind these teams and some exposure.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Yes. FHL presser:

Berkshire Battalion Announced as
6th Federal Hockey League Team

Syracuse, NY - The Federal Hockey League is proud to announce the 6th team for the 2014-15 hockey season. The club will be located in North Adams, Massachusetts and will play out of the Peter W. Foote Vietnam Veterans Memorial Skating Rink.

The team will be called the Berkshire Battalion. Team colors are red, white, & blue.

The Battalion will play a 56 game schedule. Following the regular season, there will be a 2-round playoff with the eventual champion being crowned in a best of 5 series.

Fans interested in team information and tickets can check out the Berkshire Battalion Facebook page or call 973-713-7547 or email to [email protected]

In the coming week the team will be releasing information on ticket packages & pricing, fundraising opportunities, sponsorship, and the Head Coach.

North Adams is a city with a population of 13,700 and is considered part of the Pittsfield Metropolitan area which has 44,000 residents. North Adams is located in Berkshire County with a population of 130,000 and is on the western side of Massachusetts.

The Peter W. Foote Skating Rink is named for a North Adams native who died in battle in Vietnam in 1968. Foote posthumously earned the Purple Heart and Silver Medal. Capacity in the building is 1,050 with 800 seats and 250 standing room.

Darin Lane, Rink Manager at Peter Foote commented, "We are very enthusiastic about the Battalion coming to town. We are looking forward to our first Federal Hockey League season and many more to come."

North Adams is located 132 miles from Danbury (CT) and 214 miles from Watertown (NY).

Similar to Danbury, North Adams is also home to a New England Collegiate Baseball League franchise.

The Berkshire team is owned by Federal Hockey League Board of Governors. The contact person for the Battalion is Herm Sorcher. He can be reached by phone at 973-713-7547 and email at [email protected]. Sorcher is part of the ownership group of the Danbury Whalers hockey team.

Following the Federal Hockey League Annual Meeting in July, it was announced the league would be fielding a team in Berlin, New Hampshire. The league had also previously reviewed an application for North Adams from an outside ownership group. While Berlin is still a valuable market and venue, it was re-evaluated that the overall better fit for the FHL was a more centrally located team in North Adams with initial league ownership.

FHL Commissioner, Don Kirnan stated, "The community is excited for this team. Next week we are going to be announcing a major partner coming on board. The community leaders are making a statement that they want this team and they want it to be here for a long time."

Entering its 5
th season of operation, the Federal Hockey League is one of six professional leagues in the United States. The FHL has promoted over 150 players to various other professional leagues including the AHL, ECHL, CHL, & European Leagues. The FHL currently has teams located in Danbury (CT), Dayton (OH), Watertown (NY), Danville (IL), and Southwestern Western Pennsylvania. Last season over 100,000 fans watched FHL action live. Check out the league at
www.federalhockey.com

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Cue the Benny Hill music... The sooner this league dies the better. The people managing this league have no clue what they're doing and its killing any hope to ever build a viable single-A level hockey league in the northeast.

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
"The Timberwolves are the old Maine Moose team that couldn't draw 100 fans and the new owner was advertising on Craigslist for investors offering a 25% return. The NSHL is a far cry from the level of hockey that the Mainiacs were and are likely to fail quickly.

The new owner was also stating he was going to completely revamp the team and get a lot of new players. He then proceeded to call almost every player on the old Maine Moose team that was eligible to return and ask them to come back. SO judge for yourself about the potential for success."

[/QUOTE]http://mainehockeyjournal.com/?p=21018

F1

see links below for updates........ for those interested......

http://thefederalhockeyleague.pointstreaksites.com/view/thefederalhockeyleague/news-739/news_170529

http://thefederalhockeyleague.pointstreaksites.com/view/thefederalhockeyleague/news-739/news_171599

F1

Lets hope that Massachusetts politics doesn't affect things..... one would hope that the DCR would be on board but it is Massachusetts so........................

While the Battalion was able to announce its coach, it was not ready on Wednesday to announce for sure that it will have a place to play. The franchise still is waiting for the official go-ahead from the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation, which owns the North Adams rink.

F1

here's the link
http://www.iberkshires.com/story/47...als-Meet-Hockey-Fans.html?source=sports_block

and from the Berkshire eagle:

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/sport...hockey-team-coach-introduced-north-adams.html

Last edited by a moderator:

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
"The Timberwolves are the old Maine Moose team that couldn't draw 100 fans and the new owner was advertising on Craigslist for investors offering a 25% return. The NSHL is a far cry from the level of hockey that the Mainiacs were and are likely to fail quickly.

The new owner was also stating he was going to completely revamp the team and get a lot of new players. He then proceeded to call almost every player on the old Maine Moose team that was eligible to return and ask them to come back. SO judge for yourself about the potential for success."
http://mainehockeyjournal.com/?p=21018

F1[/QUOTE]
I know what's in the story... I wrote it.

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
and......

Perusing the Fed web site rosters it appears that the SWPA complete roster has been waived or released. No listing for Director of Hockey Operations. Heard through grapevine that the ownership backed out and players are looking to move to other teams.

F1

Sidly

Sep 2, 2014
Harleysville, PA
So the FHL just retweeted someone saying they are announcing a new owner of "Steel City Warriors". I am going to guess they found a new owner very quickly.

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
SOooooooo is it Slap Shot redeux?

Twitter feed in the same link as the one about finding a 'new owner' suggested that a " lady from Florida " was buying the team....... sound familiar ? ? ?

Somebody pirate the script from Slap Shot movie and replaying it for ****s [mod] and giggles?

Don't know anything for fact so it may be true that they've found a new owner but the "Steel City" reference sounds ominously close to the Pittsburgh Steelers super bowl teams.......

It seems to me the league needs to get in front of this quickly.

I'm just hearing that there are players trying to find spot on other league teams and that's not consistent with the team getting new ownership and starting up again.

F1

Last edited by a moderator:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Nothing Wizard of Oz here.... Just letting you know that Ron Cain has no ownership role in the Colisee. The rest of it doesn't really matter to me either.

FYI, The Colisee has no hockey tenant, wildcat, the Timberwolves defaulted their 1st payment to the NSJHL and the league terminated the rights as of 9/18/14.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Looks like the Steel City Warriors are somewhat competitive. I thought they were going to get smoked.

Now can we please get them some matching gear and jerseys for next game? :amazed:

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
still early

Not judging them, at this stage ( only two games) but they are being out shot 105 to 55 and outscored 13 to 7. It's a long season so it's too early to judge what the end result will look like. It's too early especially a team that's gone through what they've been through the past weeks.

F1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->