Is Shattenkirk really available?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What drives me nuts is the lack of exploring anybody as an offensive coach....I get that Hitch was serviceable this year but our team has no offensive identity, they need some help and that window has closed it seems. Muller doesn't seem to have much of an impact, either that or our team lacks the talent

I'm Sill confused why Tarasenko play mostly left side and why he don't have Lehterä type of player near boards with him (right board), set up that powerplay with skills and creativity, now there is point guys Steen - Shattery and mostly they just shoot at blueline, Backes stands screening and Tarasenko gets wasted on that PP unit. This set-up play when boys shoot blindly has been shutdwon in every year last couple years at post-season. Mostly its funny against team like Chicago, they just stand on 4 man unite center and waits when we try to shoot throught them, easy blocks for Chicago team.

Rather see something like these PP units.

Code:
Brouwer/(Oshie) - Lehterä - Tarasenko
Parayko - Fabbri

PP1 - hybrid umbrella/overload play on boards and I could see when Tarasenko is high slot right side and Parayko blueline he could use his 1-timer. Lehterä feeds boys behind net and Brouwer standing near post at left side. Damn if we got guy like Oshie this would be more better unite. And I really think Fabbri could be very dangerous at PP.

Code:
Schwartz - Backes - Stastny 
Steen - Shattery

PP2 play at blueline and rebounds simple as that.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Agreed. Especially considering the times we see him over there, he doesn't appear to have an issue pinching and keeping pucks in on his backhand.

I don't understand our team at all... I won't focus solely on Parayko but we have to be the worst 1 timer team in the league. As much as I want Parayko on the left, he has a terrible 1 timer

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I don't understand our team at all... I won't focus solely on Parayko but we have to be the worst 1 timer team in the league. As much as I want Parayko on the left, he has a terrible 1 timer

I haven't seen Parayko ripping his 1-timer, so I really don't can't confirm his 1-timer is terrible. He's playing like Jbo. Control puck and hesitate 2-3 times and then shoot it while all defenders are surely blocking him. Like Pietro is looking akwardly like Jbo shooting.

I don't know is it some odd coaching thing or players admire Jbo blueline plays? But they all look like Jbo clones.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I haven't seen Parayko ripping his 1-timer, so I really don't can't confirm his 1-timer is terrible. He's playing like Jbo. Control puck and hesitate 2-3 times and then shoot it while all defenders are surely blocking him. Like Pietro is looking akwardly like Jbo shooting.

I don't know is it some odd coaching thing or players admire Jbo blueline plays? But they all look like Jbo clones.

That's somewhat what I'm getting at. Very few times do we see them just let it go. It's always stop the puck, settle it down...look, pause, shoot into shin pads. Now while their actual 1 timer may not be bad....it's the execution that's bad. It looks like sometime they never work on, which I would have a hard time believing

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
That's somewhat what I'm getting at. Very few times do we see them just let it go. It's always stop the puck, settle it down...look, pause, shoot into shin pads. Now while their actual 1 timer may not be bad....it's the execution that's bad. It looks like sometime they never work on, which I would have a hard time believing

There are some things you just leave alone during the regular season, and I could see them leaving that alone with a rookie. Let him do what works there, focus on the rest of his game, and look to change the mechanics of that in the offseason.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm not concerned about Parayko. He has a process of growth to go through, and the ability for the one-timer is there. He is already so assertive that I expect him to naturally grow into that. The first place would be on the PP.

There was a comment about Babcock or McLellan. Well Armstrong DID pursue both of those guys. We don't know exactly what was offered, but the fact that he left Hitchcock dangling for a while shows that he pursued other options.

The problem is that there are not obvious better choices we all agree on after that short list. There are a couple interesting possibilities. If we all knew that Armstrong had a strong opinion on who the next coach should be, and already identified that person....would we feel differently?

I think Hitchcock is gone after this season pretty much no matter what happens. I'm as curious as all of you as to who is next. But I think it was better to stick with Hitchcock one more year (this year) than it was to hire the wrong guy. It would probably have taken longer to extricate from a subpar hire as there would be a lot of excuses for performance for a while. When I look around the league and see teams like Minnesota and Nashville who are struggling to be in the playoff conversation, I feel like Hitchcock has not done so horrible of a job.

But I also believe that if this team had all the players healthy, we'd see something more potent than what we see now. And I also believe that the players are not laying it all out there for regular season games at the moment (like they used to do in years when they reached the post-season with an empty tank). However, if they don't have another gear in the post-season we'll all know that theory is crap.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Glad to see Strickland call out JR. Guy is a mouthpiece. That's why I said he said "heard".

Good news.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
I agree it makes no sense. Shattenkirk is the kind of player you deal for, not give up, especially in the Blues' position. Shatty has been one of the few players who regularly give a damn out there. He's cost controlled through another season with a very friendly contract. They would be far better off trading Pietrangelo or Bouwmeester, neither of whom have acted like they cared this season, and keeping Shatty here with the money he deserves. But this is Armstrong we're talking about here.

bluesfan3109

Let's Go Blues!!!
Jan 26, 2015
STL/IL
I'm so sick of all the Shatty love. He is an offensive defenseman who looks horrible in the defensive zone. This is what his defense looks like. Please skate directly at me into the zone while I back into the goalie and screen him so you can take a wide open shot into our net.

He did it last year in the playoffs and clearly hasn't learned from it. Petro>>>>Shatty and Parayko>Shatty so sick of all this crap about how he's better than Petro and we need to keep him. Ship him out and give us offensive help.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm so sick of all the Shatty love. He is an offensive defenseman who looks horrible in the defensive zone. This is what his defense looks like. Please skate directly at me into the zone while I back into the goalie and screen him so you can take a wide open shot into our net.

He did it last year in the playoffs and clearly hasn't learned from it. Petro>>>>Shatty and Parayko>Shatty so sick of all this crap about how he's better than Petro and we need to keep him. Ship him out and give us offensive help.

Yeah, if we're lucky we can get a forwards who produces as much offense as Shattenkirk does.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Trades of the magnitude some of you are discussing don't just happen. They take weeks, often months of prep. You NHL 16ers are amusing though, I'll admit.:laugh:

TomDelonge

Apr 28, 2009
Boulder, CO
Trades of the magnitude some of you are discussing don't just happen. They take weeks, often months of prep. You NHL 16ers are amusing though, I'll admit.:laugh:

Disagree. I think it is all about timing. You think the Ryan Johansen/Seth Jones trade took months? I think it was just a matter of timing on both teams.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Disagree. I think it is all about timing. You think the Ryan Johansen/Seth Jones trade took months? I think it was just a matter of timing on both teams.
Agreed.

Plus, who is to say Armstrong hasn't already been discussing things for a month now? Nobody knows.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Agreed.

Plus, who is to say Armstrong hasn't already been discussing things for a month now? Nobody knows.

When you listen to agents talk after a deal and it's revealed the conversations have been going on since the summer, the idea that these blockbusters just happen all the time on a whim is unrealistic. I think that's the core reason for draft deadline disappointment 9/10 times.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
When you listen to agents talk after a deal and it's revealed the conversations have been going on since the summer, the idea that these blockbusters just happen all the time on a whim is unrealistic. I think that's the core reason for draft deadline disappointment 9/10 times.
I am aware of that. But you are kidding yourself if you think these GMs just started talking this week, which is what you are acting like. They've been talking the whole season, people have no idea what ideas have been discussed. That's why there's usually always one surprising trade each deadline that comes out of "nowhere".

SteenMachine

Oct 19, 2008
Fenton, MO

Yeah who needs power play goals or breakaways, this team is more fun when those things cease to exist and we get to watch Petro shoot it wide of the net with no pressure on him. If you're gonna use ****ing brackets to tell people how good everyone is or isn't then here ya go rookie seasons > reality. Stop pretending Parayko has nowhere to go but up and that we can just ditch Shattenkirk and look anything close to as good as a team.

TomDelonge

Apr 28, 2009
Boulder, CO
Yeah who needs power play goals or breakaways, this team is more fun when those things cease to exist and we get to watch Petro shoot it wide of the net with no pressure on him. If you're gonna use ****ing brackets to tell people how good everyone is or isn't then here ya go rookie seasons > reality. Stop pretending Parayko has nowhere to go but up and that we can just ditch Shattenkirk and look anything close to as good as a team.

We aren't "ditching" shattenkirk. We just have an overload of skilled d-men on the right side and are DESPERATELY in need of a stud #1C way more than we need having another puck moving d-man, even if he is one of the best in the league. Shatty is one of the most expendable and high value D-men we have, and it makes way too much sense to use him as a centerpiece in a package deal to solve our #1 C issues.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
What happened there?

Roenick apparently said that Shattenkirk wanted out, Stickland tweeted the next day saying it was nonsense and that Roenick and Shattenkirk hadn't even spoken since last summer.

Roenick has a podcast with someone in the Boston media, and that guy has been spreading rumours about Shattenkirk all year. Says that Shattenkirk and Hitch don't get along, Shattenkirk won't be here next season, we've included him in several offers this year to try and move him, yadda yadda yadda.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Roenick apparently said that Shattenkirk wanted out, Stickland tweeted the next day saying it was nonsense and that Roenick and Shattenkirk hadn't even spoken since last summer.

Roenick has a podcast with someone in the Boston media, and that guy has been spreading rumours about Shattenkirk all year. Says that Shattenkirk and Hitch don't get along, Shattenkirk won't be here next season, we've included him in several offers this year to try and move him, yadda yadda yadda.

Got ya. I thought you meant our JR from the post. I never believed Roenick. He is just a mouthpiece.

actionhank1786

Nov 6, 2011
There are some things you just leave alone during the regular season, and I could see them leaving that alone with a rookie. Let him do what works there, focus on the rest of his game, and look to change the mechanics of that in the offseason.

Yeah, that makes the most sense. He's already playing well, you can work on fine-tuning in the off-season. Just let him focus on playing like he is.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Shattenkirk is our only defenseman that scores consistently. You don't let him go!! We have so-called offensive defenseman that don't score that are paid way more and aren't defensive defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad