Is Shattenkirk really available?

Lakebum

Apr 2, 2014
We need a scoring forward. Our young defensemen, have really been stepping up. Parakyo in particular has been a surprise for stepping up as a offensive defenseman. Basically Shatty is our best trade bait.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Basically he is an easy target. UFA after next season and he will command a nice pay raise (rightfully so). Many reporters don't see Blues spending the money on him, with no NTC in place he can be moved for the right price.

This is something that is driven heavily by the media. If there is a chance of Shatty getting traded it will be in the off-season.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Personally, I don't believe Shattenkirk is actively being shopped. I think it's more a case of teams calling and things being discussed from there.

I suspect the team is quietly working hard to re-sign him behind the scenes.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I don't think he is available per se, but he could be traded if the right deal came around, like for a #1C

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Is Shattenkirk available? Probably, but it is only for a specific return. He's isn't getting moved for the sake of moving him, it would only be to address other needs and almost certainly not until the end of the season. I think Armstrong has already had talks like this, but nothing came of them.

Are we shopping Shattenkirk? Absolutely not, but this seems to be the idea some other fanbases have. If a teams shops a player of Shattenkirk's quality, the rumours are plentiful and persistent. We've had no persistent rumours, we've had blind speculation.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I only see him being moved in two cases

1. the off season if we have a first round exit again and when talking to his agent about an extension the team and Shatty are way off.

2. we package him for a true #1 center, no not RNH Olier fans. Im talking a stud #1, yes I know we also send a pick and prospect. That is the one piece everyone says we need

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Jeremy Roenick tweeted that Shattenkirk is INDEED the Blue defenceman who wanted to leave The Blues. If that's true, he won't re-sign with them, perhaps they'd better trade him to get a scoring forward. In a package, his value could get that done. I don't like to see him go. But, I don't want a lot of assets tied up in a player who doesn't want to be on the team.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Jeremy Roenick tweeted that Shattenkirk is INDEED the Blue defenceman who wanted to leave The Blues. If that's true, he won't re-sign with them, perhaps they'd better trade him to get a scoring forward. In a package, his value could get that done. I don't like to see him go. But, I don't want a lot of assets tied up in a player who doesn't want to be on the team.

Do you know when he said that? I haven't seen that come across my feed. If that's true, I am surprised by that I was thinking it would be Bortuzzo wanting out.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Hmmm... He must have deleted that tweet. Unless it came from a fake account.

It was "reported" by a poster on The PD "Blues Talk Forum", named "Pierre McGuire". Maybe it's just BS. I should have known better than to trust a poster on THAT forum without checking it out. But I know nothing about Twitter or the like.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
It's unlike Roenick to"gossip". So, I'm guessing that he never said that. I think it would be very unlike Shattenkirk to leak to fellow NHL players, or to the press that he wanted out of St. Louis. The whole idea is quite unlikely. Had I thought about it for a moment, I would have erased my post, and tried to check it out. But The Blues' game was just about to start.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm not buying that at all. Shattenkirk is on a fair contract, is pretty damn popular in the locker room and has a pretty large role on the team. I cannot think of a single logical reason Shattenkirk would want out. The only two things that come to mind are A. constantly losing in the playoffs, and B. the rumors from last summer affecting him.

However, I still can't buy that it would be either of those. If he can't handle trade rumors and that causes him to ask out, then he shouldn't be a professional athlete. And I DON'T believe that's the case.

Secondly, sure nobody likes to lose but... as much as we ***** all the time, Shattenkirk could still be on a team like Colorado who usually doesn't even make the playoffs. I don't think he'd just quit on the team here. Things could be a lot worse (jynx before he goes to Edmonton lolz).

Last edited:

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
If we move Shattenkirk it will be a huge mistake.

I think it entirely depends on what comes back in return. He's going to keep playing great no matter where he goes, but as long as solid value comes back there wouldn't be a way to regret it. Then again, knowing Doug Armstrong, he'll get crap in return.

Total Bender

Unregistered User
Apr 20, 2014
Stl
It's unlike Roenick to"gossip". So, I'm guessing that he never said that. I think it would be very unlike Shattenkirk to leak to fellow NHL players, or to the press that he wanted out of St. Louis. The whole idea is quite unlikely. Had I thought about it for a moment, I would have erased my post, and tried to check it out. But The Blues' game was just about to start.

It may be unlike JR to be a gossip, but it is not unlike him to be an idiot.

I looked and couldn't find a tweet. If he has really gone on record with someone saying he wants out we better move him right now.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
It was "reported" by a poster on The PD "Blues Talk Forum", named "Pierre McGuire". Maybe it's just BS. I should have known better than to trust a poster on THAT forum without checking it out. But I know nothing about Twitter or the like.

That's NHL Tim. I've known him to speculate himself but I've never known him to fake a rumor. It could be the fake account option, but I doubt he just lied.

Total Bender

Unregistered User
Apr 20, 2014
Stl
I'm not buying that at all. Shattenkirk is on a fair contract, is pretty damn popular in the locker room and has a pretty large role on the team. I cannot think of a single logical reason Shattenkirk would want out. The only two things that come to mind are A. constantly losing in the playoffs, and B. the rumors from last summer affecting him.

However, I still can't buy that it would be either of those. If he can't handle trade rumors and that causes him to ask out, then he shouldn't be a professional athlete. And I DON'T believe that's the case.

Secondly, sure nobody likes to lose but... as much as we ***** all the time, Shattenkirk could still be on a team like Colorado who usually doesn't even make the playoffs. I don't think he'd just quit on the team here. Things could be a lot worse (jynx before he goes to Edmonton lolz).

I agree with this. Plus think about where he was value wise when we traded for him. He was considered a plus to Stewart I believe, now he is considered a big time FA. Id say at least some of that should be credited to the coaching staff of the Blues.

If he went to the media saying he wants out, which I doubt he did, its kind of a slap in the face. Just wait out till free agency and politely accept an offer from a team you'd rather be on if you're that unhappy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad