Is Richardson Singling Out Reichel?

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I thought he looked bad last night vs Winnipeg. Too many blind and weak passes, incorrect plays in the neutral zone/entry into the offensive zone, soft on the dump in forecheck…a poor effort.
I thought Reichel was really good after the goal against tonight (12/27). Should have had a game winning assist in OT if Beauvillier didn’t goof it.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
That's how you coach and develop players. It's not done by standing with your arms folded, no expression looking like you're a doorman at some Melrose Park gentleman's club.

Nice try Bobby, but I gave an answer of what he SHOULD be doing in lieu of impersonating a cigar store Indian.

Is LR's calm demeanor the reason he didn't call a timeout during Blues game or is it he doesn't have the feel to be a head coach?
The doorman at some Melrose Parkgentelman's club>impersonating a cigar store Indian and I eagerly await a third analogy.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Reese Johnson can't do anything.
He hits and kills penalties. I watched the 1st period of the game everyone was singing Reichel's praises on for the legendary 10 to 1 corsi advantage, the best player on that line was Reese Johnson and it wasn't even close. Reichel flubbed multiple opportunities. R. Johnson also been scratched a whole bunch this season.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
He hits and kills penalties. I watched the 1st period of the game everyone was singing Reichel's praises on for the legendary 10 to 1 corsi advantage, the best player on that line was Reese Johnson and it wasn't even close. Reichel flubbed multiple opportunities. R. Johnson also been scratched a whole bunch this season.
We're watching two very different games. Reese works hard but Reichel and Guttman created a few chances and the puck died on Johnson's stick.

Wasn't even close? Lol yeesh.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
We're watching two very different games. Reese works hard but Reichel and Guttman created a few chances and the puck died on Johnson's stick.

Wasn't even close? Lol yeesh.

I don't know how anyone could watch that game and come away with that conclusion. Completely blows my mind. Guttman and Reichel drove the game on that line, and as soon as they included Reese, it was over. They might as well have been playing 5 on 4 when they had the puck.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't know how anyone could watch that game and come away with that conclusion.
By paying attention.
Completely blows my mind. Guttman and Reichel drove the game on that line,
Reese's forechecking mostly.
and as soon as they included Reese, it was over.
Reichel being weak on the puck was the biggest reason there was no high danger scoring chances. Or the play where he just skates into Guttman is a personal "yikes" moment for me.
They might as well have been playing 5 on 4 when they had the puck.
Stop baby'ing Reichel. He's 21, this is the time to prove he belongs in the NHL and he isn't making a compelling case. He certainly didn't "drive" play, as he never had anything to do with the puck entering the zone. He made maybe two good passes, flubbed a bunch, sometimes was able to get it back to the point, often not, and I think he stole the puck as it was leaving the zone once.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Get used to it. Reichel will only need to make one or two good plays a game and the praises from some will keep flowing. Book it.

There's no question that he has talent but it obviously takes more than that to succeed. Hopefully he'll get the message.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
The Reichel center gimmick and then this is terrible for his development I don't get why Richardson is putting him in his dog house.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The Reichel center gimmick and then this is terrible for his development I don't get why Richardson is putting him in his dog house.

He is a meathead player who never thought the game at a high level. So his coaching mimics his career.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
He is a meathead player who never thought the game at a high level. So his coaching mimics his career.
Look, I get you don’t like him as a coach, but this is straight up nonsense. LR was a 7th overall pick who played over 1400 NHL games. To write him off as a meathead who doesn’t know how to think the game at a high level is ludicrous.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Look, I get you don’t like him as a coach, but this is straight up nonsense. LR was a 7th overall pick who played over 1400 NHL games. To write him off as a meathead who doesn’t know how to think the game at a high level is ludicrous.
1400 games, 200 points, -119. He was a shit hockey player, who had a lengthy career, for whatever reason. Absolute bust numbers for a 7th overall pick, truth be told. But you do you.

Edit: His biggest accomplishment in his career was 238 PIMS in 90-91. That's truly absurd.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
in luke richardson's 21 season playing career, exactly 8 of the teams he played for were playoff teams. of these only 3 made it past the first round.

the first was the 1991-92 oilers. 22 year old richardson, then 3 years into is career, was moved to the team in a massive seven player trade that sent grant fuhr to toronto. he scored 22 points in the regular season, and added 5 more in 16 playoff games, while playing top pair minutes against wayne gretzky on his way to his first career playoff round victory over the kings.

the next time would be the 1996-97 oilers. this was their first trip back to the playoffs since '92. richardson by this time, 27 and already a decade into his nhl career, was an alternate captain. he scored 12 points and posted a +9 in the regular season, the first of seven times in his career he would have a positive regular season +/-. in the playoffs he had 2 assists, -4 in 12 games. they were defeated by the defending champion avalanche in the second round.

the last time would be with the 1999-00 flyers. this time he scored 7 points in 74 regular season games with a +14, and only 1 point in 18 playoff games, -5. more interesting than the season tally is where the team went. this flyers team went to the eastern conference finals, the farthest luke richardson would ever go in his playing career. they blew a 3-1 series lead, and lost in game seven after scott stevens concussed eric lindros in the first period.

richardson would only see higher playoff success from behind montreal's bench many years later. after this awful meltdown and consequent fateful encounter with scott stevens' shoulder, lurich would see the playoffs two more times with the flyers. after that he would play another seven seasons of hockey, officially retiring at 39. a 21 year career before 40.

what is the moral of this story kiddos?

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Exactly.
Luke was a highly respected player in his day. If one truly believes his statistical accomplishments as a player are relevant to his ability to coach, look no further than the coaching ability and accomplishments of another rugged competitor from the past in Pat Quinn. Then look at Wayne Gretzky. How did each of those guys pan out as coaches? His argument is laughable, in other words. The ability to think the game and strong leadership are unrelated to a coaches stats when they played the NHL game.

That said, the jury is still out on Richardson's coaching ability. To claim one knows for certain at this stage after less than half a season as Hawk's HC, and coaching what possibility is the weakest team in the NHL is equally laughable, IMO

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Joel Quenneville - 803 games, 190 points, 705 PIM, 2nd round (21st overall) -85 overall in his career.

It is absolutely asinine to determine a player turned coach will be trash because of how he was as a player.

Oh.. who am I kidding, Hawks should've kept Savard behind the bench instead of hiring Quenneville. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad