Is Richardson Singling Out Reichel?

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Last few games Reichel has played well. Certainly much better than he had been playing all season. But that didn't stop Richardson from putting him on the 4th line (again) and benching him nearly the entire 3rd period tonight.

Can't help but wonder if Reichel is just being singled out at this point. I'm sure Luke saw Reichel do something he didn't like, but he played well with Guttman and Johnson (in post game interview Luke said the 4th line didn't deliver). WTF is going on?

Last edited:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
He seems to accept mistakes by guys who “play hard” and punish guys who make mistakes who don’t.

Reichel and Guttman were good tonight. They had a 10-1 shot attempt advantage in their ice time. I think it’s a valid question to ask, if he is singling him out.

Quotes like that, with statistics that tell the exact opposite, are a quick way to push me towards not supporting the coach.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
If he's singling him out it's because he believes Reichel can be better and more consistent than what he's been this season so he's trying to push the right buttons. I imagine LR must find him extremely frustrating.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
If he's singling him out it's because he believes Reichel can be better and more consistent than what he's been this season so he's trying to push the right buttons. I imagine LR must find him extremely frustrating.

By sitting the 4th line during the 3rd period Richardson is likely a big reason why the Hawks blew that lead. The rest of the guys seemed absolutely gassed.

Don't think it helps a guy's confidence when he's playing well according to both the eye test AND the numbers, but Richardson still benches them and tells the media they didn't perform to expectations.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

Here's a great clip and quote from Luke talking about what he is telling Reichel from the prior game.

He absolutely is holding him to an elite standard. He's trying to get Reichel to see or read the game, players, and the situations at an elite level. Even though he had great basic eye test and stats last night, was something like this on occurring vs the Blues that made their roster choice?

Reichel has improved finally in these last 4 games and it comes to a point where, is it actually helping, maybe it is. If this play continues good after the break. Then maybe the heavy thumb lays off. I hope Reichel can be this great player.

Reactions: Panzerspitze

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
By sitting the 4th line during the 3rd period Richardson is likely a big reason why the Hawks blew that lead. The rest of the guys seemed absolutely gassed.

Don't think it helps a guy's confidence when he's playing well according to both the eye test AND the numbers, but Richardson still benches them and tells the media they didn't perform to expectations.

I don't think Reichel played well, at all. That's not to say he hasn't made some good plays, but he's made more bad plays either due to making the cutsie drop pass to no one of being bullied off the puck or any number of weak-ass plays that are not NHL caliber plays. I like Reichel and I think he will eventually be a solid NHL top-6 player but he has a lot to clean up and get better at before he can be consistently reliable. Different players require different tactics - is LR using the best tactics for Reichel? I don't know but what I do know if that he's much closer to the player and situation than I am or anyone else on a message board so I choose to trust him to do what's best.

Regarding the win/loss of the game - who cares - winning isn't the objective of this season.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
I don't think Reichel played well, at all. That's not to say he hasn't made some good plays, but he's made more bad plays either due to making the cutsie drop pass to no one of being bullied off the puck or any number of weak-ass plays that are not NHL caliber plays. I like Reichel and I think he will eventually be a solid NHL top-6 player but he has a lot to clean up and get better at before he can be consistently reliable. Different players require different tactics - is LR using the best tactics for Reichel? I don't know but what I do know if that he's much closer to the player and situation than I am or anyone else on a message board so I choose to trust him to do what's best.

How many players on this team made far more blatant/costly mistakes and haven't been stapled to the bench?

Regarding the win/loss of the game - who cares - winning isn't the objective of this season.

I agree winning is not the objective this season. However, some wins still matter to a team on a rebuild. If you have these demoralizing losses because Richardson is on a power trip then that can destroy the development of young players and the culture of a team.

Geoist

May 1, 2015

Here's a great clip and quote from Luke talking about what he is telling Reichel from the prior game.

He absolutely is holding him to an elite standard. He's trying to get Reichel to see or read the game, players, and the situations at an elite level. Even though he had great basic eye test and stats last night, was something like this on occurring vs the Blues that made their roster choice?

Reichel has improved finally in these last 4 games and it comes to a point where, is it actually helping, maybe it is. If this play continues good after the break. Then maybe the heavy thumb lays off. I hope Reichel can be this great player.

And so the entire line gets benched because Reichel didn't drop his shoulder? That is ridiculous.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
And so the entire line gets benched because Reichel didn't drop his shoulder? That is ridiculous.
That's from the Habs game. Not from the Blues game.

But there's more to what a coach is evaluating beyond results

Geoist

May 1, 2015
That's from the Habs game. Not from the Blues game.

But there's more to what a coach is evaluating beyond results

That still doesn't explain the rationale of benching an entire line. Luke gassed the other lines and essentially turned the 3rd period into one big powerplay for the Blues.

Of course, this is not to say players on the ice don't share blame for shitting the bed, but Luke needs to be held accountable to it, too. You can develop a player without hurting the rest of the team.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
To be clear, I do have my concerns (still) with Reichel's play. And I don't necessarily disagree with some of the ways Richardson handled it in the past. I just think in this particular instance Richardson came down heavy-handed and I don't see how the entire team (not just Reichel and his linemates) not come away with a bad taste in their mouth over the coaching.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
How many players on this team made far more blatant/costly mistakes and haven't been stapled to the bench?

Obviously you can't staple every player to the bench so I suspect Reichel is getting more attention from LR than other players is because (1) he's worth more in the long term plans if he can break through, and (2) he's a forward so he's 1 or 12 and easier to sit him on the bench than one of 1 or 6 mistake prone d-men.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
Wins will be hard to come by this season due to the talent on the roster, but to give away games by shortening the bench like that is stupid. It negates the efforts made by the other guys, not a good thing.

How should this team play? Hard and fast while rolling 4 lines ALL game long. They don't have the talent so how do you make up for that? By being the best conditioned team, we're not. By playing an annoying physical brand of hockey, we don't. By rolling 4 lines to wear teams down because we aren't expected to win there is no edge in matching lines or shortening the bench- just roll ALL guys. We don't.

That clip about the blocked shot is nonsense. That is not a benchable or offense or something to even speak about publicly. Those things are covered in the pre game scouting report and after that play happens, you get in Reichel's ear on the bench and tell him this is exactly what we talked about. NEXT time give him a deke and blow around him.

That's how you coach and develop players. It's not done by standing with your arms folded, no expression looking like you're a doorman at some Melrose Park gentleman's club.

Hockeyman1962

Dec 22, 2019
He seems to accept mistakes by guys who “play hard” and punish guys who make mistakes who don’t.

Reichel and Guttman were good tonight. They had a 10-1 shot attempt advantage in their ice time. I think it’s a valid question to ask, if he is singling him out.

Quotes like that, with statistics that tell the exact opposite, are a quick way to push me towards not supporting the coach.
he is a poor coach he can't build a winner

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

This is f***ing absurd.

By the way, Richardson benching the 4th line, and, consequently, losing that game, likely did a bunch of damage in the locker room. Those are the moves that lose you the trust of your players. Those are the decisions that get the players whispering behind your back. It's the type of bullshit that creates a rift between the players and the coaching staff. It's not something that is easily undone.

Singling out Reichel and holding him to different standards is another. You think all the young guys who are buddies with Reichel(namely, Bedard) don't notice this crap?

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Probably not, but it's easy to believe the players noticed a line that was performing well got benched because one player on the line seems to be chained, tied and glued to the coach's dog house.

They absolutely noticed it. And they absolutely know it was nonsense.

Just so many people here who don't understand locker room dynamics, or player/coach relationships.

Trust is a very fickle thing inside the locker room.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
They absolutely noticed it. And they absolutely know it was nonsense.

Just so many people here who don't understand locker room dynamics, or player/coach relationships.

Trust is a very fickle thing inside the locker room.

Source on this (you seem pretty sure given the double use of "absolutely"), or we are we just making things up here?
If the team DIDN'T NOTICE it, I'd really be worried about that room.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
So what are they doing with Reichel that says he's better off in Chicago than literally any other franchise.

Airing out individual technical failures, varying accountability up and down the roster, changing lines constantly for him, changing positions, etc.?

Reactions: Geoist and Pez68

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
So what are they doing with Reichel that says he's better off in Chicago than literally any other franchise.

Airing out individual technical failures, varying accountability up and down the roster, changing lines constantly for him, changing positions, etc.?
The problem being that Reichel either isn't getting the message or he is incapable of playing at the NHL level. I think he would be in the minors with most any other NHL team. It seems obvious he needs it.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
The problem being that Reichel either isn't getting the message or he is incapable of playing at the NHL level. I think he would be in the minors with most any other NHL team. It seems obvious he needs it.
What message? Be perfect all the time or else? Reichel's play has been much better since he was scratched and the coach is f***ing around for no reason at this point.

Last edited:

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
He plays good a few shifts and then disappears for a long period. He has some skill but his compete level is very low.
At this stage he’s not a significant talent, he would likely be better served playing in the AHL. The question is does he ever improve beyond that?

I am humored by a few alleged experts claiming they know how the room reacts to a #1 pick being accountable for playing hard every shift. These are not 12 year olds.
He doesn’t have Bedard/Kane talent. He can’t be like them and be passive defensively. (Nobody mentions it but) Bedard doesn’t play the “C” role defensively. He covers a point man just like Q had Kane doing. Donato had to be moved back to CB’s line because Lukas was playing as soft as Bedard (without the offense) defensively.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I’d give Reichel one more year here before I’d consider his potential as a NHLer finished. He certainly hasn’t taken a next step since his call up great 23 games last year.

It’s tough to evaluate players however because we have such little talent on this crap roster. Promising young players for sure but come on, look at the standings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad