• No

Votes: 46 26.0%

• Total voters

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Definitely a tough customer to be able to take the hits he does over and over. He's probably an average fighter for his size.

Gotta say the men trying to live vicariously through him are truly delusional.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
He's a bad fighter but he's really strong and isn't afraid of anyone.

Not expecting him to still be an NHLer in a few years from now though

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He hasn't been avoiding fights. He's been suspended, scratched and told to settle down and stop fighting so much.

Also - define bad fighter? Because he'll probably whoop us. But if you're comparing to players known to be good fighter, then sure, he's on the bad side of that and doesn't protect himself much.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I believe John Scott reached out to him after one of those earlier fights and told him to learn to use his size more.

Wouldn't be shocked if they train together this summer at some point. Whether Rempe ends up being an everyday NHLer or back in the AHL he needs to learn to fight if he's to continue fighting

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
He didn’t get “whooped” and is holding his own and standing in there for LONG fights against the toughest veterans in the league (MacDermid, Reaves, Olivier, Martin & Deslauriers) as a 21 year old rookie. If he were even fighting just a class below these guys, more of power forwards who are tough guys but not the straight up best enforcers in the league, the results would be very different.

He’s still a pretty lanky kid and needs to fill out more and brush up on his technique, but even as is he’d still beat over 90% of the league in a fight.

This. 90% of the league would just straight refuse to fight him, he’d beat 8%, and the remaining 2% are the dudes he’s already fought.

That’s simplifying it a bit, but it’s ridiculous to look at his immediate performance against the top fighters, at 21, and label him bad for his size. Nah dude, he’s just putting himself in a place where he’s gotta get punched by the best.

He’s reckless and I hate it, I hate what his naivety/stupidity has brought back to the league, but I wouldn’t say he’s a bad fighter, he’s just got some stuff to work on. Taking his record against the top dudes is just silly, and a small sample size as well.

He hasn't been avoiding fights. He's been suspended, scratched and told to settle down and stop fighting so much.

Also - define bad fighter? Because he'll probably whoop us. But if you're comparing to players known to be good fighter, then sure, he's on the bad side of that and doesn't protect himself much.

The whole thing is kinda silly- Chara actually wasn’t a huge face puncher for his size, he generally just ragdolled dudes and avoided getting hurt. So like- if the goal is to beat someone up, fail. If the goal is to show toughness and assert dominance, win. Meanwhile Oleksiak has never been great for his size, never a discussion- Rempemania is somethin.

Evergreen

I don’t think being taller necessarily makes you a better fighter. Obviously it helps with reach and maybe power, but it certainly doesn’t help his balance or quickness.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Running away from Macdermid after two match penalties and fighting Reaves with a visor advantage doesn't scream 'courage' for me.
Are you saying he should have removed his helmet and received an extra penalty before engaging in a fight?

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Tremendous height doesn't always translate to being a great pugilist even with the natural reach advantage

Steve McKenna was an exceedingly large punching big, Hal Gill struggled with a number of shorter opponents and nothing good ever came out of Brian Boyle dropping the gloves

Rempe may not be a world beater but I'd still consider him closer to John Scott or Derek Boogaard than any of the others listed above

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Feed him to Uncle Arber

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Did his AHL conditioning stint not work? all I heard before the trade deadline was that He needed to become more then a fighter.

Now all I hear from Habs fans is how they want him to fight everyone.

He can be a good hockey player, and also f*** up those who deserves it

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Once again, he isn't wonderful, but when a man gets into fights with toughest guys in the league and we have no reason to be scared for him, he isn't a bad fighter by definition.

I think we should be scared for Rempe, he's taking haymakers to the head every fight. He doesn't have the ability, at least at this point, to protect himself.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Are you saying he should have removed his helmet and received an extra penalty before engaging in a fight?
I'm saying that portraying Rempe as some warrior who fears no man and will fight anyone, any time is a huge exaggeration.

He's a huge rat who runs around trying to injure other players with elbows and head hits from the 70s and then 'doesn't answer the bell'. Exactly the kind of player pro-fighting crowd always claims to be held in check by fighters.

• Haha
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Not every tough prospect is going to be a Lucic, pummeling enforcers from day 1.

He will learn. He lands some good punches even in the fights he loses.

I'm saying that portraying Rempe as some warrior who fears no man and will fight anyone, any time is a huge exaggeration.

He's a huge rat who runs around trying to injure other players with elbows and head hits from the 70s and then 'doesn't answer the bell'. Exactly the kind of player pro-fighting crowd always claims to be held in check by fighters.

Did you describe Tom Wilson?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Tremendous height doesn't always translate to being a great pugilist even with the natural reach advantage

Steve McKenna was an exceedingly large punching big, Hal Gill struggled with a number of shorter opponents and nothing good ever came out of Brian Boyle dropping the gloves

Rempe may not be a world beater but I'd still consider him closer to John Scott or Derek Boogaard than any of the others listed above

John Scott is who Rempe should be following. Dude fought a lot less often, did a lot more to protect himself while still throwing bombs, and he picked his spots better.

He also made one dirty hit and got like 7 games for it, first offense. Different time, we still cared about headshots then. Anyways, I think he saw how he’d be unfairly vilified as a big man and never did that shit again. Or he just couldn’t catch anyone again, either way. Dude has a podcast now and seems to be doing well, aim for that Matt.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
he's definitely not good but he's also 21 and most kids are bad fighters at that age

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad