Votes: 131 74.0%
  • No

Votes: 46 26.0%

• Total voters

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
He didn’t get “whooped” and is holding his own and standing in there for LONG fights against the toughest veterans in the league (MacDermid, Reaves, Olivier, Martin & Deslauriers) as a 21 year old rookie. If he were even fighting just a class below these guys, more of power forwards who are tough guys but not the straight up best enforcers in the league, the results would be very different.

He’s still a pretty lanky kid and needs to fill out more and brush up on his technique, but even as is he’d still beat over 90% of the league in a fight.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He was getting knocked down and losing in the minors too. Over time, his frame will fill out and he'll be tougher to handle but right now, he's below average for a guy his size. Definitely deserves kudos for going out and getting into it with some of the better fighters in the league.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
He just grew into his size as a young man and he's never had to fight against real men. Can't possibly imagine he had opponents he could even grapple with in the WHL. Maybe in the AHL ya there would be some characters.

You can see his lessons learned from fight to fight. After he fought Reaves, he learned how to fight defensively instead of opening himself up after a missed punch. After Olivier and delauriousah, he has a stiffer arm to maintain distance and control.

He's kept himself safe with his reach. He's not a great fighter yet. If a 6'2 guy with no major league fighting experience fought Reaves or Olivier, they'd be unconscious.

I'm sure he'll work on that in the off season and study tapes.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I mean... yes.

Even if you ignore who he has fought at the NHL-level, go look at who he has fought at the AHL-level and what his record is down there. It's good if you take into account non-fighters but against AHL enforcers he has basically been a punching bag.

He's propably the best in the NHL at eating punches though, which definitely makes him entertaining.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
No.

I feel like people are misreading the question. Take a look at what sort of players are his size. Many of them are far worse than he is as a fighter.

He's average for his size at worst, not bad.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
think you have to take into consideration that he is a kid fighting grown ass men who have fought in the NHL before. Check back in 4 5 years if he is still in the league and see how his style likely changed.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Still learning coordination, hanging in against the big guys. Reav-o didn’t get the belt when he was 21 either.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I’m not going to use his size and put him within a group to measure his fighting ability, because size doesn’t inherently make you a good fighter.

If we compare him within his age and experience, a much more appropriate peer group to measure with, I would say whatever (if any) faults he has is heavily mitigated by his willingness to go.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
He's average. If he had any technical ability he would smash guys, but he's not there. I'd imagine if he manages to stay in the NHL and puts the effort into learning his craft, he'll be a beast in a few years.

If he thinks he can coast through on his size he'll be in the AHL in a couple seasons.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
As others have said, your size doesn't determine your ability to fight, but it helps when you're fighting smaller players.

He's lost fights in the WHL, AHL and he will continue to do so. He needs someone to teach him better and he could be effective.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Chara wasn't an outstanding fighter despite his size on account of losing his balance quite frequently in fights.

For every time he ragdolled McCabe or pounded someone like Tim Gleason, there was a time where he would fall to his knees or lose his footing.

I think there might be diminishing returns for height at a certain point. Boxers and MMA fighters aren't on skates attached to a frictionless surface.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes, he needs some work.

He can do damage but it's his defense that's lacking.

I thought he was fine against MacDermid. MacDermid is huge and an experienced fighter. Rempe didn't take any big shots which is what I wanted.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
He would do better in a wrestling ring than a hockey rink. At least the WWE will come up with a finishing move for him.

Last edited:

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
He's gone toe to toe with a few heavy weights now. He's no Chara but he's clearly a decent fighter.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I'm not one of those ban fighting guys, but for this kids sake the team and coaching staff needs to tell him to tone it down. He's gotten into how many fights now ? How many bare knuckle punches to the head can someone take before there's some significant injury ? And the chance of falling and hitting your head.

Average fighter but he's doing way too much, we know you're tough kid but take care of your health before you end your career.

He's 21. Kid is going to be a menace. That being said, he has a lot to learn.
If he keeps fighting at this pace he likely won't be in the league in 2-3 years, that many punches to the head and that little time will 100% lead to significant brain injury.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
He didn’t get “whooped” and is holding his own and standing in there for LONG fights against the toughest veterans in the league (MacDermid, Reaves, Olivier, Martin & Deslauriers) as a 21 year old rookie. If he were even fighting just a class below these guys, more of power forwards who are tough guys but not the straight up best enforcers in the league, the results would be very different.

He’s still a pretty lanky kid and needs to fill out more and brush up on his technique, but even as is he’d still beat over 90% of the league in a fight.
Oh surprise , your here to protect your prize pig , again .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad