Is Peyton Krebs a bust?

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I'm a bit surprised that he hasn't improved at all in the NHL. If anything, he's gone backwards offensively the last couple years.

I was confident that the boardwork and playmaking skills he showed in Junior would translate and perhaps only look better once he played with better talent. Then he also had a great WJC where those same skills looked great with elite players of his age....

I'm still holding out some hope that maybe a change of scenery type deal gets him back on track. Wouldn't mind seeing Montreal take a flyer on him and see if Marty can coax the skill back out of him.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
1) He's still only 23, and over 200 NHL games. His numbers may be disappointing, but don't mean he is a bust or that he wont improve.
2) It always felt like he was an HFBoards darling and that how he was actually viewed did not line up with the consensus that was forming on these boards.

I mean, the other guy the Knights were offering instead was Elvenes who went on to being *checks notes* a waiver claim and is out of the NHL. So if they're going to catch a round for things, they did get the better of those two offers.

They could have also traded Eichel to a different team. Or just got over their squeamishness with the procedure he wanted.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I'm a bit surprised that he hasn't improved at all in the NHL. If anything, he's gone backwards offensively the last couple years.

I was confident that the boardwork and playmaking skills he showed in Junior would translate and perhaps only look better once he played with better talent. Then he also had a great WJC where those same skills looked great with elite players of his age....

I'm still holding out some hope that maybe a change of scenery type deal gets him back on track. Wouldn't mind seeing Montreal take a flyer on him and see if Marty can coax the skill back out of him.

He’s absolutely worth a try in a different situation. Simplifying it a bit, but he had a tendency to throw blind backhand passes from the boards- you could see what he was going for and how it’d work at lower levels, but in the nhl it was just a lot of turnovers. I don’t think he’s had a coach in Buffalo teach him what to do, he just knows not to do that too much. He’s tried rounding out his game, again, I’m not sure the guidance is there beyond “you’re on the 3rd line now, so defense.” Get the dude some coaching and maybe he’ll make somethin of that early promise.

Reactions: jrom and Eegs

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
1) He's still only 23, and over 200 NHL games. His numbers may be disappointing, but don't mean he is a bust or that he wont improve.
2) It always felt like he was an HFBoards darling and that how he was actually viewed did not line up with the consensus that was forming on these boards.

They could have also traded Eichel to a different team. Or just got over their squeamishness with the procedure he wanted.

Some of the Vegas part has sounded like the Knights were both willing to accept the risk and do so without worry about retention. Buffalo's owner has gone cheap and paying someone to not play for them for years and years via retention isn't going to happen even if the return may have been better.

As for Krebs at this point, he's polarizing. Really solid defensive metrics but from a guy who doesn't do it in a way that makes you notice.

As his old HC James Patrick said when asked about Krebs playing down the lineup. To paraphrase: the NHL will put you where you belong.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
He wouldn't be the Veteran of 214 NHL games if he played for a serious organization. He would still be in the AHL.

Instead, he's been forced/rushed into the NHL for the past 3 seasons.

Krebs clearly was not ready for a top 6 role in the NHL, so they shoe horned him in as a 4th line role player/agitator. But he's only 5'11' 180lbs, so he lacks the physical part of the game needed to really shine in that role, he's pretty undersized to fill the role better suited to 6'3" 220lb tanks.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He's putting up numbers like a defenseman but no thats no a bust. Thats like saying someone like dunno Radek Faksa is a bust because he just turned into a 4th/3rd line defensive center from a #13 pick.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think he’s a perfectly appropriate mid round first round pick. If you expected the moon from him that’s on you I guess. He’s played too much to be a bust. He’s already probably met the imaginary line in the sand of being an NHL player, which isn’t a bust.

A disappointment based on expectation thrust on him by the media and fans because he was part of the Eichel trade? Sure…..I guess?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad