Is Peyton Krebs a bust?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Shooting percentage is much lower. His ice time and powerplay time in particular have also been reduced.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
He was drafted 17th overall, that’s not really bust territory.

Lower ice time and he’s +3 this year, taking on a more defensive 3rd line role.

That said.. frustrating player, I really want him to be better. Shows creativity but it often involves risk, and instead of being taught how to toe the line he’s just kinda learned to go with the standard play (while still occasionally doing dumb). He’s also turned himself into a bit of a pest, it’s great to see him add that to his game, but I worry he’s being molded into a 3rd or 4th line guy when that doesn’t really make sense for him. Girgensons, sure, the hands were never there and forechecking was always a strength, Krebs seems eager to learn but we have nothing in the way of coaching, so.. I think he could be molded into a really solid 2nd or 3rd liner, but he’s playing in an odd role on a team with no structure. It’s not on him, it’s on Pegula. He’ll spend to the cap floor because he has to, but the coaching staff ain’t part of that.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Is a 17th overall a bust? I was never all that wowed by him. Not a prolific scorer. Looking back at the '19 draft, there isn't much to get excited about from picks 20-31.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not a good season for him. I feel like the coaching staff has let him down some and he lets us all down some. He's still making high danger turnovers that the assignment to the checking line was supposed to help remove. His effort physically seems inconsistent, but the coach actively encourages people to not hit so is that him or is that just like every other forward on the team. I'd say he's more in line with turning out like off-brand Curtis Lazar right now than anything else.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He was drafted 17th overall, that’s not really bust territory.

Lower ice time and he’s +3 this year, taking on a more defensive 3rd line role.

Is a 17th overall a bust? I was never all that wowed by him. Not a prolific scorer. Looking back at the '19 draft, there isn't much to get excited about from picks 20-31.

He was talked about as a Top10 pick on the prospect board in his draft year and ppl were saying he was a draft steal

Seems like an average bottom6'er with little offensive upside at this point

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't want to sound like the glib fan of the team that traded a guy away but I didn't view trading Krebs away as some huge loss. He looked really promising his first three games with the Knights but after that point he started to become invisible. He'd show some flashes of promise here and there but I never got the sense his game was developing towards being anything than a half decent second liner at best. Him not taking off doesn't come as some big surprise. If you'd tell me that Pavel Dorofeyev and Paul Cotter were going to produce better than him at the time of the trade I might be skeptical though, but here we are.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
He was talked about as a Top10 pick on the prospect board in his draft year and ppl were saying he was a draft steal

Clearly he fell off over the course of the year. I have a hard time viewing a forward that scores 19 goals in 64 games a 'steal'.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Depends on what you normally expect at that position. Probably not out of line to want a solid 2nd line forward at that spot. So if he's not that?

I think there are various degrees of "busting" too.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
just saw his stats this season...

from 22P in 48GP (with BUF) in 21-22
26P in 74GP 22-23
17P in 79GP this season :thumbd:
2nd full year in the NHL and the sabres are a shit pile still.. Have you seen him play or basing it off of stats and stats only?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hard to be categorized as a bust when he's played over 200+ nhl games. That's pretty solid for a 17th overall pick.

Disappointment sure- but Krebs is still only finishing up his 22 year old season. I think he's going to stick around the NHL for years to come.
There are going to be 1st rounders who get 200 NHL games because of their draft position. If he was pick 71, he would have spent more time in the A. But, that is the reality of being a first round pick, is that you get the benefit of the doubt more as the team that drafted you wants it to work and that their scouting department to have nailed their picks. Krebs also part of the Eichel deal, so Buffalo has an incentive for him to work out.

Would leave the Eichel trade down to Tuch and Ostlund as the 2 other key pieces. With a 3rd from Buff and 2nd rounder from LV swapped, so they are close to netting out.

Krebs not working out as expected/hoped for would be a big disappointment.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Plenty of top 10 picks end up there as well.

If you get a full time NHLer at 17 overall, that can’t be considered a bust .

People have way too high expectations for later first round picks. Pastrnak is the exception, not the rule

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I will say that his defensive impacts are pretty good yet some of that could be who he's playing with over most of the last two years (Girgensons is a great shot suppression guy). His lines generally outshoot their opponents and they defend well. However, he in particular doesn't create as much offense as we'd think with some of his skills.

His recent line with Skinner and Greenway has been on for four goals four and one against in 55 minutes together. Him with Peterka and Benson though was significantly better. *shrug*

Defensively, there is something to this player. The offensive game simply has not come.

Reactions: Eegs and HaNotsri

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
What do you mean 17th overall isn't bust territory? That's a 1st-round pick! Haven't you been on this message board long enough to know that all 1st-round picks are SUPER VALUABLE?!?!?!
Once you get outside the top 12 or so there really isnt bust talk.

Historically in the draft many long career nhl players were drafted in botyom half of 1st but their roles were not top line superstar but more role players.

Hes still on ELC so he's not budt/flop yet.

He does have some talent. He also can take on that pest role. He just needs to find the right linemates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad