Votes: 152 35.0%
  • In the neighbourhood

Votes: 176 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 106 24.4%

• Total voters

Mar 26, 2010
Also, Pettersson won playoff MVP in Sweden in his draft +1. Not an NHL
I think McDavid won the MVP on his peewee team when he was 12. I also think that Matthews won an MVP in Arizona when he was 10. :popcorn:

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
that is nothing to get excited about. Come back when he wins multiple rockets. The truth is, he will never win a rocket ever. A Hart or a ted Lindsay. He is not a top five center in the league on top of that. Canucks fans are absolutely hilarious this season, your team has been in the basement for eight years, And now you are all acting like you have a Matthews or Connor McDavid on your team.
Almost as hilarious as saying Matthews has scored more goals at this point in his career than Wayne Gretzky did in his first 519 games.

We definetely dont have a McDavid or Matthews. Those are 2 different tiers of players. We have one thats better than Matthews but worse than McDavid ;)

• Haha
Reactions: lipstickjunkie

Mar 26, 2010
Almost as hilarious as saying Matthews has scored more goals at this point in his career than Wayne Gretzky did in his first 519 games
You are getting really desperate now huh. The two best modern day goals scorers in the world are Ovechkin and Matthews. Matthews is ahead of him at the same point of their careers.

Pettersson is not a top five center in the league. He is not in the same stratosphere as the top three players in the league that include Matthews.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
You are getting really desperate now huh. The two best modern day goals scorers in the world are Ovechkin and Matthews. Matthews is ahead of him at the same point of their careers.

Pettersson is not a top five center in the league. He is not in the same stratosphere as the top three players in the league that include Matthews.
Nah more so laughing at how upset you are at the truth that you cant even take 2 seconds to fact check yourself before you post

Nice try at shifting from "Matthews has scored more goals since he entered the league than any other player in the history of the game. Best goalscorer in the world."

Too bad history doesn't forget

Reactions: geebster

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Matthews has scored more goals since he entered the league than any other player in the history of the game. Best goalscorer in the world.

- 2 x Rocket Richard (about to win his 3rd Rocket in 4 seasons)
- Hart Trophy
- Ted Lindsay Trophy
- Calder
- 50 goals in 50 games

Pettersson

- Nothing
- Never won anything
- Not a top 5 C

Also, McDavid is not ahead of Matthews in take aways. Matthews has been at the top of the league for years in that department. You are talking absolutely gibberish with no substance at all the back that up.
Mackinnon hasn’t won any hardware either besides a Calder and of course cup.

Reactions: geebster

Mar 26, 2010
Nah more so laughing at how upset you are at the truth that you cant even take 2 seconds to fact check yourself before you post
Haha your boy ain’t there. Never will be.

carry on. I’m out.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Matthews has scored more goals since he entered the league than any other player in the history of the game. Best goalscorer in the world.

- Hart Trophy
- Ted Lindsay Trophy
- Calder
- 50 goals in 50 games

Pettersson

- Nothing
- Never won anything
- Not a top 5 C

Also, McDavid is not ahead of Matthews in take aways. Matthews has been at the top of the league for years in that department. You are talking absolutely gibberish with no substance at all the back that up.

Am i the only one that doesn't give a crap about the Calder throphy? It's such a luck based throphy that you can only win once & it's just about how lucky you are with injurys as it's about the succes of the player. Pettersson has one, i remember it because Binnington got mad about not winning and i love to see Binninton mad for some reason, i don't even disslike the stars or anything like that.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon

- Hart Trophy
- Ted Lindsay Trophy
- Calder
- 50 goals in 50 games

Pettersson

- Nothing
- Never won anything
- Not a top 5 C

Sooooo, you should consider including the Calder trophy Pettersson won when saying he hasn’t won anything lol

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

meanwhile here in reality Pettersson is on pace to outscore Matthews by ~20 points again this year just like he did last year

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
McDavid
Draisaitl
MacKinnon
Matthews
Barkov

I have these ahead of Pettersson, so no to the poll question.

But he is very close.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018

- Hart Trophy
- Ted Lindsay Trophy
- Calder
- 50 goals in 50 games

Pettersson

- Nothing
- Never won anything
- Not a top 5 C

What do you mean by:

"Matthews has scored more goals since he entered the league than any other player in the history of the game."

???

I am trying to interpret this in different ways but I can't figure out any way that this makes any sense.

For example, Gretzky scored 894 goals vs. Matthews 332 goals.

Another example, Matthews 332 goals comes in 519 games.

I am not going to check exactly where Gretzky was at after 519 games. But after 6 seasons, Gretzky had played 473 games and had 429 goals, which is much better than Matthews.

I bet others such as Bossy, Lemieux, etc. were also better than Matthews too.

So what do you mean by your statement?

Last edited:
Reactions: nbwingsfan

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
This season Miller has EASILY been superior at both ends of the ice. Want proof? Look who's playing C right now.

I love Petey and want him to be top 5 but this season its a no for me. His 12 points have come as a winger, and it's been ****ing spectacular and I don't really care but let's give the #1C his due and that's JT.
JT has been phenomenal this season, but Pettersson is not having a bad season by any means. He’s just so sound defensively and always makes the smart decision, that I think we as fans forget that Pettersson has carried this team for years and gloss over his “boring” play this season. JT has had his ups and downs. Pettersson has always given his 100% and I think that’s HUGE when you’re having discussions like this. I can definitely agree on your take though that there is an argument for JT being a better centre this year and I’ll give him his flowers.

It’s like saying Drai > McDavid in the season that Drai won the Art Ross and Hart. We all knew who the better player was.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
Obviously take my opinion with a grain of salt (see avatar) but I think an argument could be made for anywhere from 3-6.

No question, McDavid and MacKinnon are 1 and 2. I think 3-6 mostly becomes a question of what you are looking for in a center. A pure offensive powerhouse? You take Draisatl. If you want unparalleled goal scoring ability, you take Matthews. If you're looking for an elite two-way shutdown defenseman, you take Barkov. If you're willing to sacrifice a bit of that defensive prowess for offensive skill, Pettersson is your man. It all depends on what your team needs.

Honestly, I think an argument could also be made for any of Hughes, Point, and/or Crosby in that 3-6 (now 9) range these past few seasons as well.

I'll make the argument that given the lack of "flaws" in Pettersson's game, he's closer to 3 than 9 but any of these centers could be (and in many cases previously were) the lynchpin to a Stanley Cup winning team.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
What do you mean by:

"Matthews has scored more goals since he entered the league than any other player in the history of the game."

???

I am trying to interpret this in different ways but I can't figure out any way that this makes any sense.

For example, Gretzky scored 894 goals vs. Matthews 332 goals.

Another example, Matthews 332 goals comes in 519 games.

I am not going to check exactly where Gretzky was at after 519 games. But after 6 seasons, Gretzky had played 473 games and had 429 goals, which is much better than Matthews.

I bet others such as Bossy, Lemieux, etc. were also better than Matthews too.

So what do you mean by your statement?

I believe it’s just stylistically propping up the fact that he has the most since he’s entered the league, but it doesn’t actually mean anything different. Ie. By comparison Gretzky has scored 0 goals since Matthews has entered the league.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I believe it’s just stylistically propping up the fact that he has the most since he’s entered the league, but it doesn’t actually mean anything different. Ie. By comparison Gretzky has scored 0 goals since Matthews has entered the league.
Ok, but he specifically said:

What does he mean by "in the history of the game" ???

The "history of the game" includes Gretzky, Lemieux, etc., and they produced goals at a much higher rate than Auston Matthews, especially during the first 519 games that Matthews has played.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Since the start of last season the only C's with more points are Mcdavid, Draisaitl and MacKinnon

This year, yes.

Overall, not yet - but if he sustains what he’s doing consistently moving forward, then no question, he makes the top 5.
You don't think he was top 5 last season? 4th among C in points (5th if you count RHN as a true C) and 7th in Selke Voting

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016

- Hart Trophy
- Ted Lindsay Trophy
- Calder
- 50 goals in 50 games

Pettersson

- Nothing
- Never won anything
- Not a top 5 C

As hard as you try Matthews is not number 3 in the league, he hasn’t been consistent enough to considered number 3 however you seem to lose a lot of sleep when someone suggests otherwise.

Over the last couple of seasons Draisaitl has been brought up more often than Matthews as the number 3 and at least Draisaitl has the stats/consistency to back it up….outside of loose puck retrievals which Matthews is a Hall of Fame lock for.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Ok, but he specifically said:

What does he mean by "in the history of the game" ???

The "history of the game" includes Gretzky, Lemieux, etc., and they produced goals at a much higher rate than Auston Matthews, especially during the first 519 games that Matthews has played.

Yes, out of all the players in the history of the game, he’s scored the most goals since he entered the league, because most of them didn’t play in those years. It’s just fluff to sound better than it is

Reactions: jcs0218

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Nope.

McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon and Matthews are all still ahead. Draisaitl is having an off year - so maybe he hasn't been better this season, but overall he definitely still slots ahead.

Meaning - the first open slot for EP is #5.

And I believe Hughes ranks above him. So that's at least 5.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
No he isn't. Take off the homer goggles.
Matthews has the edge in goal scoring. While Petey is better defensively, playmaking and has put up more points this season.

Matthews isn't better than Draisaitl either.
Any numbers to back that up because their analytics, counting stats and SHTOI are all fairly comparable if not slightly leaning towards Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad