• In the neighbourhood

Votes: 176 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 105 24.2%

• Total voters

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
7 goals, 12 points, +9 in 4 games and 4 game winners in a row after reuniting with the LOTTO line (after playing with mediocre line mates most of the season), following a 102 point season and Selke level defensively. Is Elias Pettersson now a top 5 centre in the NHL?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
This season? No.

Because:

McDavid
MacKinnon
Draisaitl

Have always been better than him.

Outside of last season, Matthews has always been better than him.

And Hughes has been better than him this season.

Pettersson has not been as good this season as he was last season (outside of the past four games).

So I think he has an argument for top 5 when he's at his best, but this season the highest I could place him is 6th as of the beginning of January 2024.

Voted for "In the neighbourhood."

Mar 26, 2010
No he isn't. Take off the homer goggles.
Matthews has the edge in goal scoring. While Petey is better defensively, playmaking and has put up more points this season.

Matthews isn't better than Draisaitl either.
Matthews is better defensively and obviously the best goal scorer in the world. Matthews is way better than Draisaitl, who has been average at best this season.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Matthews is better defensively and obviously the best goal scorer in the world.
Since when was Matthews ever Selke calibre? There's no question Petey is above defensively. Come on now.

McDavid
MacKinnon
Draisaitl
Matthews
Pettersson
Barkov
Hughes
Crosby

in order.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 34

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Not sure how Eichel is in a tier above any of the guys you put below him let alone even in their tier. Thats a weird choice for sure.
Did you not watch him dominate on the playoffs when it mattered last year? One of the biggest factors that won Vegas a cup

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Did you not watch him dominate on the playoffs when it mattered last year? One of the biggest factors that won Vegas a cup
If playoff performance mattered I'd think you'd have Draisaitl a little higher considering he's one of the top all-time ppg players in playoff history.

There's plenty reasons Vegas won the cup besides Jack Eichel's play.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
As a Canucks fan, he’s top 5. You can say “in the neighbourhood” and wouldn’t be wrong tho . My ranking would be:

Mcdavid
MacKinnon
Drai
Matthews
Pettersson

You can argue Hughes for the 5th spot. You could even argue Jack Eichel this season. Point deserves an honourable mention as well. Crosby is still playing at an elite level, though I can’t confidently say he’s top5 any longer. I think the best take on this is that the other 4 guys are almost set in stone as the top 4, while Pettersson is the best option at the 5th spot for now.

Reactions: TBF1972

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don’t think so. A lot of fans were ragging on him this year for not being good enough before these past 4 games, and while he might have been playing through something and with inferior linemates, I still think he’s a little too inconsistent to be rated that high. Last year he was much better at controlling the ice when he was out there. He hasn’t found that level consistently this year despite the points. I think McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews and Draisaitl are clearly ahead and I’d also put Barkov and Hughes ahead. And even just for this year I’d put all but Draisaitl ahead. And Miller has an argument for this year as well. I’d say he’s somewhere in the top 10 but top 5 just feels a bit high

Last edited:
Reactions: SillyRabbit

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I'm sure Vegas getting elite level goaltending out of Hill and scoring almost 20 goals above expected in the playoffs had nothing to do with them winning, it was just Jack Eichel.
Ahh yes, the useless advanced stats argument :laugh:

Eichel was a beast at both ends of the ice when it mattered most for his team

Reactions: GreeningOil

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Ahh yes, the useless advanced stats argument :laugh:

Eichel was a beast at both ends of the ice when it mattered most for his team
Surely if their playoff performance was sustainable we'd be seeing it this season no?

Also I'm not saying Eichel wasn't great in playoffs he was. But one playoffs doesn't catapult you up the rankings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad