• In the neighbourhood

Votes: 176 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 105 24.2%

• Total voters

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Yes, Petey defense is good, but Barkov's is great. As well as more consistent game to game. I would also argue Barkov's offense is more consistent. Petey has lots of games where he looks like a top 3 center offensively (better than Barkov indeed), but also has lots of clunkers where he looks completely disinterested and making many mistakes with the puck (defensive consistency).

That is enough for me, but you could pick either one depending on what you value more. I'll always lean more complete and reliable when we are talking about 2 players that are routinely over a point per game.

Barkov is made of glass when he's healthy he's an insane match up C but he only plays 55 games a year

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Barkov is made of glass when he's healthy he's an insane match up C but he only plays 55 games a year
Pettersson averages around 62 games played per season over career (5 seasons, current season included)

Barkov averages 64 games played per season over career (11 seasons, current season included)

Sure, Pettersson suffers for having one extremely short season with a small sample size but at least my post is based on actual numbers.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No. Not yet anyway. Great player though and he might be in the future. Canucks have a really solid young group.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Just curious, which centers would you put firmly ahead of him as your answer seems to be a clear “no”?
McDavid, Draisytl, Mackinnon, Matthews and Hughes. I can’t put him ahead of those guys yet.

But I’d be pretty quick to switch next year. I think Peterson is having a better year than some of those guys but I can’t rank him ahead right now. Needs to show he can do it again.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
McDavid, Draisytl, Mackinnon, Matthews and Hughes. I can’t put him ahead of those guys yet.

But I’d be pretty quick to switch next year. I think Peterson is having a better year than some of those guys but I can’t rank him ahead right now. Needs to show he can do it again.
He’s doing it again if you remember what he did last year. If you meant you need a player to demonstrate high level play for three years, how would Hughes be ahead of him then?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He’s doing it again if you remember what he did last year. If you meant you need a player to demonstrate high level play for three years, how would Hughes be ahead of him then?
I think Hughes is a better center. Today I would take him. Drai isn’t having the best year but has consistently been great. Matthews scores too many goals to ignore.

So today, I have Pettersen outside the top five. Closest call would be Hughes but I think Pettersen benefits greatly from having Quinn with him. I have zero issues with someone who’d put Pettersen ahead but I think Jack Hughes is money.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Voted no, but in the neighborhood is probably correct. He is at very best #5. There is a legit argument there to be #5, but he's no lock. You could just as reasonably have him around #10.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Voted no, but in the neighborhood is probably correct. He is at very best #5. There is a legit argument there to be #5, but he's no lock. You could just as reasonably have him around #10.
I don’t know how he could be that low. Hughes at five makes sense. You could put in Crosby maybe. After that? Bedard isn’t there yet so I don’t know who else can go there.

I also don’t have an issue if someone put him fifth but I agree that’s the highest I’d put him now.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Pettersson averages around 62 games played per season over career (5 seasons, current season included)

Barkov averages 64 games played per season over career (11 seasons, current season included)

Sure, Pettersson suffers for having one extremely short season with a small sample size but at least my post is based on actual numbers.
pettersson has played in 89% of his team's games since he joined the league, which is ~73 per 82 game season.

barkov has played in 85% of his team's games since he joined the league, which is ~70 per 82 game season.

your post is based on bad math lol

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Not a good metric because Pettersson has had a greater percentage of his seasons shortened by Covid and the current season not being over. He’s played in 89% of his team’s available games. But he’s also only missed more than 2 games in 2 of his 6 seasons, while Barkov has missed over 10 games in 6 of his 11 seasons. Though for what it’s worth Barkov has played in 85% of his team’s available games, which isn’t as bad as he’s made out to be.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Draisaitl is so overrated. If the Oilers management was offered Pettersson straight up forcDraisaitl, they would do it without hesitation
Yah that guy with the 3rd highest ever ppg in the playoffs and several 50 goal and 100 point seasons is a bum. And no, they wouldnt

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
I don’t know how he could be that low. Hughes at five makes sense. You could put in Crosby maybe. After that? Bedard isn’t there yet so I don’t know who else can go there.

I also don’t have an issue if someone put him fifth but I agree that’s the highest I’d put him now.

Strongest case for 5th is Barkov or Pettersson.

Hughes will get there but i don't see how he is a choice over one of the best two-way players in the game and a back-to-back 100p center. Unless we're talking about the heroin of HFboards aka potential.

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Barkov is the best two way player in the game and the most underrated superstar in the NHL.

What is EP the best at?
He might be the best at being both a sniper, playmaker and defensive forward. Don't know which center is better at all three combined.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Strongest case for 5th is Barkov or Pettersson.

Hughes will get there but i don't see how he is a choice over one of the best two-way players in the game and a back-to-back 100p center. Unless we're talking about the heroin of HFboards aka potential.

I don’t think potential is the right word. It’s not that he needs to become better, he just hasn’t had full seasons at that level. When healthy, Hughes has played at a level worthy of being in that discussion and I think he’s more consistently dominant offensively than Pettersson who can be quite invisible at times despite the point totals, and Hughes is a strong possession player as well. The problem is his injuries have prevented him from having a consistent run at that level. I would probably take Barkov over both right now, but I think there’s a good case for Hughes over Pettersson.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
For me as a Canucks fan, I’m taking Hughes over this years pettersson easily. He looks pedestrian out there too often, just like two years ago but with better numbers. His head is a strange place. However he could explode at any moment like on that New York road trip, so let’s see if he does that down the stretch into playoffs.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Top 5 in overall points amongst all players and third amongst centers behind only McDavid and Mack. And he plays a strong two way game.
Hard to see how he’s not top 5 this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad