Is our 2024 1st round pick off the table?

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I see this bump to the wing comment a lot. To what wing? Tuch, skinner, Quinn, Peterka, benson? Move greenway down? What’s the answer then for everyone in rochester?

Then what’s the answer when everyone asks why the youngest team in the league is again inconsistent? Inconsistent teams finish low in the standings where do we put those picks?

At some point this team needs to get some men to play some minutes and let some of these kids develop on other teams.
Skins-thompson-tuch
Quinn-mitts-cozens
Benson-xxx/krebs-jjp
The call to wing isn't a permanent solution but, rather to give mitts better linemates more consistently and letting cozens get freed up to the wing to free up some of his offense and because the way he plays may be more suited to wing, also gives our offense more depth. We can use our excess of futures to get that 3c unless we draft 1oa which I'd rather keep but if we were to trade it I would want a top 6c and a top 4 rhd and a little extra.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I see this bump to the wing comment a lot. To what wing? Tuch, skinner, Quinn, Peterka, benson? Move greenway down? What’s the answer then for everyone in rochester?

Then what’s the answer when everyone asks why the youngest team in the league is again inconsistent? Inconsistent teams finish low in the standings where do we put those picks?

At some point this team needs to get some men to play some minutes and let some of these kids develop on other teams.
Here is one way you could go down that road:

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch
Cozens-Mitts-Quinn
Greenway-Celebrini-Benson

And then use trades & FA to craft a solid energy line.

You can use guys like Peterka, Krebs, Savoie, and Rosen as trade chips to fill in where you need it.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch
Cozens-Mitts-Quinn

You can use guys like Peterka, Krebs, Savoie, and Rosen as trade chips to fill in where you need it.
this is basically a first line and a third line that you are trying to shelter from any offensive opponents
and a second line that you probably dont have to shelter but you sure as hell also dont want them to be your go to matchup

that fourth line better be f***ing heroes who also dont want to get paid

look at that top 9, you might be able to add their nhl defensive rankings together and not get 1 good defensive matchup

you go down that road just add another 3 years to the drought

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
this is basically a first line and a third line that you are trying to shelter from any offensive opponents
and a second line that you probably dont have to shelter but you sure as hell also dont want them to be your go to matchup

that fourth line better be f***ing heroes who also dont want to get paid

look at that top 9, you might be able to add their nhl defensive rankings together and not get 1 good defensive matchup
I think that is overstating it a bit given how good the Sabres have been 5v5 this season with 8 out of 9 of the guys I listed playing in Buffalo this year.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
I think that is overstating it a bit given how good the Sabres have been 5v5 this season with 8 out of 9 of the guys I listed playing in Buffalo this year.
after as long as its been i think im done with the "well this sure looked good last year i bet they can use that as the building block"

they sure looked good last year and its gonna net them a top 10 pick this year

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
after as long as its been i think im done with the "well this sure looked good last year i bet they can use that as the building block"

they sure looked good last year and its gonna net them a top 10 pick this year
So, you think that all the improvements in 5v5 play completely disappear next year?

I would be surprised if that were the case if they used the assets I talked about to do things like improve key spots on D.

But, I guess being down on the team regardless is warranted until they actually make a sizable step forward.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch
Cozens-Mitts-Quinn

Trading a future 40 goal scorer and potentially better overall player to replace skinner long term seems like a bad idea. Peterka is probably the most untouchable young player this team has unless you count Dahlin.

Cozens, when on his game, is an excellent zone entry player. He loses that ability significantly on the wing. If they can get more consistent high level performance out of the three centers after the awful start, were good.

Thompson- Elite...everything except IQ and defense (I think these are not as bad as this year overall, overthinking is probably really impacting him) Donnys lack of a consistent identity is a problem for Tage who is a notorious slow starter)
Cozens-High end player, fast skilled. Like Tage has struggled to get back to himself consistently.
Mitts-Everything good, higher end playmaker. Consistent.

I am going to assume the versions of Cozens and Thompson this year will be their low point because they are both too good to perform like this moving forward. PPG elite skill center, 70 point high end center, 60 point high end playmaking center. How many teams could be better positioned than the Sabres at center?

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
So, you think that all the improvements in 5v5 play completely disappear next year?

I would be surprised if that were the case if they used the assets I talked about to do things like improve key spots on D.

But, I guess being down on the team regardless is warranted until they actually make a sizable step forward.
i dont think they think theres a problem on D

I think they think they fixed it
Trading a future 40 goal scorer and potentially better overall player to replace skinner long term seems like a bad idea. Peterka is probably the most untouchable young player this team has unless you count Dahlin.

Cozens, when on his game, is an excellent zone entry player. He loses that ability significantly on the wing. If they can get more consistent high level performance out of the three centers after the awful start, were good.

Thompson- Elite...everything except IQ and defense (I think these are not as bad as this year overall, overthinking is probably really impacting him) Donnys lack of a consistent identity is a problem for Tage who is a notorious slow starter)
Cozens-High end player, fast skilled. Like Tage has struggled to get back to himself consistently.

I am going to assume the versions of Cozens and Thompson this year will be their low point because they are both too good to perform like this moving forward. PPG elite skill center, 70 point high end center, 60 point high end playmaking center. How many teams could be better positioned than the Sabres at center?
thompson has only had 2 good seasons, how can he be notorious at something?

hes also not that slow of a starter

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I have a feeling they trade Peterka before they trade Quinn or Benson.

They have to move some of the kids. And some of the kids they trade will turn out to be players elsewhere.

The key is to keep guys that work out long term and make deals that add things the team needs.

I'd love to trade Skinner. But, I doubt he's willing to waive his NMC given that he wanted to be close to his family and would only waive for Toronto or Buffalo when Carolina shopped him. And there is a 0 percent chance Toronto wants him and his contract.

I do not believe they think that Clifton is an answer in the top 4. And he is the only guy they added this past offseason that is signed beyond this year. So, I would be shocked if they think they are fine on defense.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012

They have to move some of the kids. And some of the kids they trade will turn out to be players elsewhere.

The key is to keep guys that work out long term and make deals that add things the team needs.

I'd love to trade Skinner. But, I doubt he's willing to waive his NMC given that he wanted to be close to his family and would only waive for Toronto or Buffalo when Carolina shopped him. And there is a 0 percent chance Toronto wants him and his contract.

I do not believe they think that Clifton is an answer in the top 4. And he is the only guy they added this past offseason that is signed beyond this year. So, I would be shocked if they think they are fine on defense.
if they could move skinner it would solve a lot of issues, hes a luxury player that a team as young as buffalo cant afford

honestly if they just had a good pp coach none of this would be a problem but, ya know, matty ellis

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

thompson has only had 2 good seasons, how can he be notorious at something?

hes also not that slow of a starter
Start of seasons and returning from injury he always takes a while.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
if they could move skinner it would solve a lot of issues, hes a luxury player that a team as young as buffalo cant afford

honestly if they just had a good pp coach none of this would be a problem but, ya know, matty ellis
I think they need more veteran experience and not less. This team has consistently been one of the youngest and inexperienced teams in the NHL the past few years. And that inexperience and youth is why they have not been consistent enough. I do not believe getting younger and younger is the answer.

And they have needed a new voice on the coaching staff to run the PP for over a year now. I wish they had snapped up the coach that became available earlier this season that coached a really good PP in Buffalo before...

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

Peterka is currently the highest value player out of the three. One is a rookie, one is struggling with injuries. Peterka is a unicorn and this team struggles enough scoring goals without trading one of their best.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Peterka is currently the highest value player out of the three. One is a rookie, one is struggling with injuries. Peterka is a unicorn and this team struggles enough scoring goals without trading one of their best.
I think the team may view things differently.

We shall see.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
What gives you that impression?
For one, they fast tracked Benson to the NHL when they have slow cooked Quinn, Peterka, Kulich, and Rosen. That alone has me thinking that they value Benson over Peterka.

And Quinn has been the more impactful player in the NHL when he has been in the lineup.

I like Peterka a ton. But, they need to move some young guys. And Peterka might be a guy that has a lot of trade value.

They cannot just keep running things back and waiting, waiting, waiting, and waiting some more on one of the youngest lineups in the NHL to figure it out. And I do not see trading veterans and leaning even more into kids playing helping.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
For one, they fast tracked Benson to the NHL when they have slow cooked Quinn, Peterka, Kulich, and Rosen. That alone has me thinking that they value Benson over Peterka.

And Quinn has been the more impactful player in the NHL when he has been in the lineup.

I like Peterka a ton. But, they need to move some young guys. And Peterka might be a guy that has a lot of trade value.

They cannot just keep running things back and waiting, waiting, waiting, and waiting some more on one of the youngest lineups in the NHL to figure it out. And I do not see trading veterans and leaning even more into kids playing helping.
They only fast tracked him because he out performed the other players and Savoie got hurt. Quinns spot was open so in he went. KA/DG sees the trio of Cozens Quinn and Peterka together long term. If they are tired of waiting they move picks and non-contributing young players/prospects to improve.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
They only fast tracked him because he out performed the other players and Savoie got hurt. Quinns spot was open so in he went. KA/DG sees the trio of Cozens Quinn and Peterka together long term. If they are tired of waiting they move picks and non-contributing young players/prospects to improve.
The conversation was based off of the Sabres getting the 1OV pick and taking Celebrini. They are not trading the 1OV pick for a vet. And Celebrini makes a congested top 9 even more congested.

So, someone in the top 9 is getting shopped. Maybe it's Mitts. Maybe it's Quinn. Maybe it's Peterka. Maybe it's Benson. But, someone who could look really good elsewhere likely gets moved to improve the roster overall in that scenario.

Or, Adams punts another offseason...

Reactions: Zman5778

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
The conversation was based off of the Sabres getting the 1OV pick and taking Celebrini. They are not trading the 1OV pick for a vet. And Celebrini makes a congested top 9 even more congested.

So, someone in the top 9 is getting shopped. Maybe it's Mitts. Maybe it's Quinn. Maybe it's Peterka. Maybe it's Benson. But, someone who could look really good elsewhere likely gets moved to improve the roster overall in that scenario.

If he is a center, a center is a logical trade candidate. Lets be real, were drafting 7-9 as always.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

I draft Celebrini and deal with roster clog later, no questions asked. The idea of trading out of 1st overall is beyond laughable

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

There's no law which states the 4th line needs be be bad. Peterka - Krebs - Savoie is going to outclass any 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad