Is our 2024 1st round pick off the table?

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I say... it depends.

Are you talking as in trading it within the next month, before the trade deadline? It absolutely should be off the table. Playoffs are off the table. We ain't making up that much ground. No players worth our 1st round pick will be available to us at the trade deadline. Those are offseason type moves.

It also depends on the lottery. If we win and pick top 2? Definitely off the table.

If we end up picking in the 6 to 12 range (I'm personally expecting 10th), then yes it should be dangled (not to Steve) as part of an effort to find a player that is ready and experienced to step in next season to help this team make the playoffs. It shouldn't, IMO, be used for a prospect.

That's my opinion on our 1st. I'm sure others will disagree.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
One of the problems with never getting into the playoffs is that your 1st round picks are high and therefore are almost always more valuable than any player who is on the trade market.

Since 2017, top 12 picks have been traded for, or as part of a trade for:

- Antii Raanta and Derek Stepan
- Travis Hamonic
- Matt Duchene
- Erik Karlsson
- Connor Garland and short-term cap space
- Seth Jones
- Alex Debrincat
- Jacob Chychrun

Some good players in there and some not so good, but even in the case of the good players the desired outcome was never achieved.

I would be shocked if we traded a top 12 pick.

Reactions: dire wolf

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
It probably should be with how high it can be. We should be trading futures, but we have plenty of that without using the first.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Of course it is. It’s a player they won’t have to pay for years. Find me one good reason they’re talking about Mittelstadt that isn’t about money. and no…I don’t mean about cap room. I mean about money.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It's off the table until the lottery. And then it depends on who is actually available.

Like, FOR EXAMPLE -- if CBJ and Jiricek decide that they're done with each other......that pick is absolutely on the table in the package for him. Or some other similar out-of-favor RHD with top 4 potential. Or some out-of-favor physical top 9 forward with top 6 potential.

As in life, there are no absolutes.

Reactions: Taro Tsujimoto

SabresNorth

Nov 6, 2021
Would much rather move the pick (unless we win and move up) then trade mittlestadt. Don't really care about winning thet trade. If it's an upgrade to our top 6 or top 4 just do it and move on. Assuming we get more value from the 1st then one of our drafted prospects. My wish is for two big trades before free agency and the gm to openly set the goal of playoffs. The bar has continually been set far too low.

Reactions: Nevins

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
The Sabers are the second youngest team in the league with an average of 25.75 years old.Assuming that Olofsson, Okposo and Erik Johnson will not be back, this average will drop further. The Sabers risk having the sixth or seventh pick in the draft, which has very high value. There will be high quality defenseman at this rank but we will have to wait 2-3 years before he arrives in the NHL. But they could receive a quality player in return for this choice and he could play in 2024.In my opinion, the Sabres' first need is a right-handed #2 defenseman. Imagine a Jake Sanderson ( pure speculation) in the Buffalo shirt?
So unless they receive a very talented player, such as a first-pair right-handed defenseman, the Sabers should keep their choice.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Like it or not, Sabres not in playoff hunt. Why waste assets for this season. And only for team need in off season. Teams will be looking to pluck talent from the Sabres for their playoff runs

This is where gmka makes his bucks. What is his long term plan and who is in it?

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
It should never be off the table. Would people really turn down a top 50 player if our 1st was involved?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
One of the problems with never getting into the playoffs is that your 1st round picks are high and therefore are almost always more valuable than any player who is on the trade market.

Since 2017, top 12 picks have been traded for, or as part of a trade for:

- Antii Raanta and Derek Stepan
- Travis Hamonic
- Matt Duchene
- Erik Karlsson
- Connor Garland and short-term cap space
- Seth Jones
- Alex Debrincat
- Jacob Chychrun

Some good players in there and some not so good, but even in the case of the good players the desired outcome was never achieved.

I would be shocked if we traded a top 12 pick.

Only five times in the last 10 years has a pick in the 5-10 range been dealt after the draft order was set. The only one that worked out for the team making the deal might be the Raanta/Stepan move. (The Garland reference leaves out OEL who was the principle in that trade.)

Trading out of 5-10 doesn't happen and teams aren't willing to either move up or move down.

Reactions: slip and Zman5778

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd say at this point, no. If they happen to get to about 10-11 in the draft order, perhaps on draft day they put it in play. But as of today, no, I don't see them moving it.

Reactions: Taro Tsujimoto

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Only five times in the last 10 years has a pick in the 5-10 range been dealt after the draft order was set. The only one that worked out for the team making the deal might be the Raanta/Stepan move. (The Garland reference leaves out OEL who was the principle in that trade.)

Trading out of 5-10 doesn't happen and teams aren't willing to either move up or move down.

I feel like we're getting to the point where we need to have @Jim Bob 's copypasta from last year ready to go.

Reactions: Jim Bob

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I'm prob not moving it at the deadline because the teams selling a reasonably aged, top 4 RHD are not moving said player. Draft, since we have such amazing luck at 8, it's gone

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I would like a Dman with speed and the ability carry the puck out of our zone regularly and safely--I stress speed.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Lots of talk these days about players being involved in trades. Not sure how I feel about trading Mitts.
Is our 2024 first round pick off the table.
I say yes.
Unless for the right price in a package no.

We need to figure out what is wrong with the team and organization.

We need to figure out what is wrong with the team and organization.

I'm prob not moving it at the deadline because the teams selling a reasonably aged, top 4 RHD are not moving said player. Draft, since we have such amazing luck at 8, it's gone
I am still trying to figure out how the oilers got Ekholm for pretty much two low 1sts

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Not a chance. I am even open to trading #1 overall. Maybe we can do the shocking trade down thing. Calgary move up to one and we get Hanafin or something like that. I am guessing you can probably get two top 4/6 D/F out of the #1 from a team tearing down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad