Is our 2024 1st round pick off the table?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not a chance. I am even open to trading #1 overall. Maybe we can do the shocking trade down thing. Calgary move up to one and we get Hanafin or something like that. I am guessing you can probably get two top 4/6 D/F out of the #1 from a team tearing down.

Based on league history, no, that is really very unlikely to happen.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
simple signed for 3+ years at 6mil per at the time of acquisition. He's a good, not great defenseman that is going to age like cottage cheese by the time his contract is up when he's 36yo
The oilers turn around started with his trade last year. He started this year injured. He stabilised the oilers D and gave them leadership.

I think we could have used a guy like him.

What do you think if Adam Larsson? Old school D. Signed for one more year after this one. I would not trade a 1st for him but he is solid D that would help us.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I feel like we're getting to the point where we need to have @Jim Bob 's copypasta from last year ready to go.
I added an interesting note for last year's NONE:

History of trading back in the top 20 of the NHL Draft

Hockey Draft Pick Transactions

2023: NONE (First trade up for picks was 43 for 47+147)

2022: SJ traded 11 to Arizona for 27, 34, & 45

2021: Dallas traded 14 to Detroit for 22, 47, & 137

Edmonton traded 19 to Minnesota for 21 & 89

2020: Calgary traded 19 to NYR for 22 & 71

2019: Philadelphia traded 11 to Arizona for 14 & 45

2018: NONE

2017: NONE

2016: NJ traded 11 to Ottawa for 12 & 80

Philadelphia traded 18 & 79 to Winnipeg for 22 & 36

2015: NONE

2014: SJ traded 20 & 179 to Chicago for 27 & 62

2013: Detroit traded 18 to SJ for 20 & 58

Most recent trade back in the top 10 for picks:

2008: NYI traded 5 to Toronto for 7, 68, & ’09 2nd

NYI traded 7 to Nashville for 9 & 40

Most recent trade out of the top 10 for picks:

2007: StL traded 9 to SJ for 13, 44, & ‘08 3rd

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The oilers turn around started with his trade last year. He started this year injured. He stabilised the oilers D and gave them leadership.

What do you think if Adam Larsson? Old school D. Signed for one more year after this one. I would not trade a 1st for him but he is solid D that would help us.
I really like Larsson. I just doubt Seattle moves him. And with his M-NTC (10 team No Trade List), good luck getting him to leave Seattle for Buffalo.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

If the cost last year had been Buffalo's seconds last year and this for Ekholm, I'd have danced (partially) naked in the next tropical storm to sweep through Florida to celebrate having Ek on the team. Yes, his last year or two might be bad. Let's worry about that when they arrive. In the meantime, do something to help now and in the near future.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It should be moved, imo. We’ve stockpiled so many picks and prospects, time to turn some potential future returns into finishing pieces for this roster. I think a new coach and the right pieces would work wonders.

It’s also a weaker draft, perfect time to find someone who overvalues a #8-#13 pick. We struck gold with Benson, unless there’s an obvious RD in our range we really like we should get value for our pick.

Reactions: ClearTheTrack

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I say... it depends.

Are you talking as in trading it within the next month, before the trade deadline? It absolutely should be off the table. Playoffs are off the table. We ain't making up that much ground. No players worth our 1st round pick will be available to us at the trade deadline. Those are offseason type moves.

It also depends on the lottery. If we win and pick top 2? Definitely off the table.

If we end up picking in the 6 to 12 range (I'm personally expecting 10th), then yes it should be dangled (not to Steve) as part of an effort to find a player that is ready and experienced to step in next season to help this team make the playoffs. It shouldn't, IMO, be used for a prospect.

That's my opinion on our 1st. I'm sure others will disagree.

if we are drafting 1 or 2, that pick absolutely SHOULD be traded.

Even a 1 or a 2 usually takes 2-3 years to really make a difference. A hockey trade like that could immediately fill 3 holes that desperately need filling

Not make a Tim Murray type trade, but a real hockey trade that actually plugs the holes we have with good NHLers

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
if we are drafting 1 or 2, that pick absolutely SHOULD be traded.

Even a 1 or a 2 usually takes 2-3 years to really make a difference. A hockey trade like that could immediately fill 3 holes that desperately need filling

Not make a Tim Murray type trade, but a real hockey trade that actually plugs the holes we have with good NHLers
Agree to disagree.

This team needs a true 1C and while Celebrini is no Bedard, he's not bad either. It may take a couple of years but its not like we don't have other assets and prospects we can use to fill other needs.

If you get Celebrini that turns one of Thompson, Cozens, or Mittelstadt into an asset that can help fill those holes.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The kind of player that could actually command that pick is rarely available for trade, so I'd wager it's unlikely there's a potential higher calling for that pick than just making the pick.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Agree to disagree.

This team needs a true 1C and while Celebrini is no Bedard, he's not bad either. It may take a couple of years but its not like we don't have other assets and prospects we can use to fill other needs.

If you get Celebrini that turns one of Thompson, Cozens, or Mittelstadt into an asset that can help fill those holes.
Winning pick #1 or #2 would be an absolute steal that couldn't be passed up. Take the player that's going to be better than any of your current Cs, will still be able to contribute in year 1 or 2, and be on an ELC during the "go for it" stage (LOL as if KA will ever go there), and trade somebody else with cap to get what you need.

If your target prospects are off the board when you pick around 6-8, then have a big trade lined and ready to pull the trigger on.

Reactions: Ehran

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Winning pick #1 or #2 would be an absolute steal that couldn't be passed up. Take the player that's going to be better than any of your current Cs, will still be able to contribute in year 1 or 2, and be on an ELC during the "go for it" stage (LOL as if KA will ever go there), and trade somebody else with cap to get what you need.

If your target prospects are off the board when you pick around 6-8, then have a big trade lined and ready to pull the trigger on.

I'm not sure 2OA this year moves that needle quickly. 1OA I think does, Celebrini slots in easily and pushes one of Thompson or Cozens to wing.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I'm not sure 2OA this year moves that needle quickly. 1OA I think does, Celebrini slots in easily and pushes one of Thompson or Cozens to wing.
I'd have a tough time choosing between Levshunov, Silayev or Lindstrom at #2. Right now I'd lean Levshunov and put him on the Amerks. He doesn't need to build up strength but could use more games than he'd get at MSU.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd have a tough time choosing between Levshunov, Silayev or Lindstrom at #2. Right now I'd lean Levshunov and put him on the Amerks. He doesn't need to build up strength but could use more games than he'd get at MSU.

I want him getting dominant performances at MSU rather than Risto'ing him in Rochester honestly. :biglaugh: I'm not a fan of plugging guys into the AHL at that age but I could see why.

I don't think Lindstrom is going to be ready for the NHL as soon as next year and Silayev has until the end of the 25-26 season under contract in the KHL.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The kind of player that could actually command that pick is rarely available for trade, so I'd wager it's unlikely there's a potential higher calling for that pick than just making the pick.
The top 10 pick in a deal for a player running up to the draft happens way more frequently than NFL-style trades up for just draft picks.

2022 - Blackhawks Traded • Alex DeBrincat to Senators for • 2022 first round pick (#7-Kevin Korchinski) • 2022 second round pick (#39-Paul Ludwinski) • 2024 third round pick (?-?) on 2022-07-07

2021 - Coyotes Traded • Oliver Ekman-Larsson • Conor Garland to Canucks for • Loui Eriksson • Jay Beagle • Antoine Roussel • 2021 first round pick (#9-Dylan Guenther) • 2022 second round pick (#47-Hunter Haight) • 2023 seventh round pick (#203-Yegor Rimashevskiy) on 2021-07-23

2017 - Rangers Traded • Derek Stepan • Antti Raanta to Coyotes for • Anthony DeAngelo • 2017 first round pick (#7-Lias Andersson) on 2017-06-23

2013 - Canucks Traded • Cory Schneider to Devils for • 2013 first round pick (#9-Bo Horvat) on 2013-06-30

And in 2015, Boston made two trades where they gave up players and got the 13th and 15th picks for that run of three picks in a row that they messed up:

- Bruins Traded • Milan Lucic to Kings for • Martin Jones • Colin Miller • 2015 first round pick (#13-Jakub Zboril) on 2015-06-26

- Bruins Traded • Dougie Hamilton to Flames for • 2015 first round pick (#15-Zach Senyshyn) • 2015 second round pick (#45-Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson) • 2015 second round pick (#52-Jeremy Lauzon) on 2015-06-26

So, it's not something that happens every year. But, it happens more frequently than the NFL-style deals.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Agree to disagree.

question I ask is which one would provide a better return?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
question I ask is which one would provide a better return?

DeBrincat wound up being shipped out after a single season, not a win.
OEL and Garland required a washed OEL to be bought out with 7 more years after this one of dead cap, not just not a win but a pretty clear loss.
Stepan and Raanta were okay in Arizona. It's a minor win in their favor mostly because TDA wore out his welcome in NY and Lias Andersson failed as a draft pick.
Schneider gave the Devils three good years and two okay years in net. Horvat wound up as captain of the Canucks and was turned into the pieces used to get a partner for QHughes. Neither team wins or loses until we look at the extension (7 years) with a NTC and after he had already peaked. The buyout is still on the Devils books.

The Bruin deals were in the mid-teens, Buffalo is highly unlikely to get up that far.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
DeBrincat wound up being shipped out after a single season, not a win.
OEL and Garland required a washed OEL to be bought out with 7 more years after this one of dead cap, not just not a win but a pretty clear loss.
Stepan and Raanta were okay in Arizona. It's a minor win in their favor mostly because TDA wore out his welcome in NY and Lias Andersson failed as a draft pick.
Schneider gave the Devils three good years and two okay years in net. Horvat wound up as captain of the Canucks and was turned into the pieces used to get a partner for QHughes. Neither team wins or loses until we look at the extension (7 years) with a NTC and after he had already peaked. The buyout is still on the Devils books.

The Bruin deals were in the mid-teens, Buffalo is highly unlikely to get up that far.

obviously, I wouldn't trade it for a single player, nor would I for geezers

What I would trade 1OA for is a package that fills multiple long-term needs.

The package I would want is as follows: A physical top 6 forward, a VERY physical 4th liner who will not hesitate to stick up for his teammates and throw down when required who is also good on the PK, and a very physical 4-5 defenseman who is also good on the OK

The package would be something like this as an example (not the exact players, just name dropping to highlight the package I would demand). A slightly upgraded version of Peca, Varada, and Warrener (all 25 or younger)

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Everyone but Dahlin and Benson would be on the table for me....MOSTLY including our 1st which has it's own twist of irony because I had the same notion last year and now we have Benson....

to be completely honest I've seen enough hoarding of picks for Kisakovs, Karabaceks, Cornells, Baptistes, Baileys etc etc etc. I'd trade for immediate help and jump start this roster before hoping we luck into a Brayden Point. Our one scout aint gonna find that diamond in the rough.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Everyone but Dahlin and Benson would be on the table for me....MOSTLY including our 1st which has it's own twist of irony because I had the same notion last year and now we have Benson....

to be completely honest I've seen enough hoarding of picks for Kisakovs, Karabaceks, Cornells, Baptistes, Baileys etc etc etc. I'd trade for immediate help and jump start this roster before hoping we luck into a Brayden Point. Our one scout aint gonna find that diamond in the rough.

In fairness the one scout is a pro scout. The other 47 are amateur scouts.

Reactions: Chainshot

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
obviously, I wouldn't trade it for a single player, nor would I for geezers

What I would trade 1OA for is a package that fills multiple long-term needs.

The package I would want is as follows: A physical top 6 forward, a VERY physical 4th liner who will not hesitate to stick up for his teammates and throw down when required who is also good on the PK, and a very physical 4-5 defenseman who is also good on the OK

The package would be something like this as an example (not the exact players, just name dropping to highlight the package I would demand). A slightly upgraded version of Peca, Varada, and Warrener (all 25 or younger)

So go the last mile and identify a team which would rather have 1OA than those 3 players, then identify the players (25 or younger).

People get lost in this fantasy that their desires are fungible. There's only 31 trading partners and their availability is constrained by real concerns which don't translate so neatly to video game style trades.

If I was KA i'd have the pick on the table, but I wouldn't expect anyone to give me what I want/need for it.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Let me see if I'm tracking: you want to trade a top 10 pick because you're mad some 2nd rounders busted 10 years ago?

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
If we get #1 absolutely not celebrini might not be generational but he is a potential franchise talent who would immediately fill in for 3c and bump cozens to the wing and we would have some decent wingers to play with as well. We would be a perfect landing spot for him

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
If we get #1 absolutely not celebrini might not be generational but he is a potential franchise talent who would immediately fill in for 3c and bump cozens to the wing and we would have some decent wingers to play with as well. We would be a perfect landing spot for him
I see this bump to the wing comment a lot. To what wing? Tuch, skinner, Quinn, Peterka, benson? Move greenway down? What’s the answer then for everyone in rochester?

Then what’s the answer when everyone asks why the youngest team in the league is again inconsistent? Inconsistent teams finish low in the standings where do we put those picks?

At some point this team needs to get some men to play some minutes and let some of these kids develop on other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad