Is our 2024 1st round pick off the table?

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
There's no law which states the 4th line needs be be bad. Peterka - Krebs - Savoie is going to outclass any 4th line.
How can you look at our lineup and think “yeah that’s what we need. More of the same on the 4th line”

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
It's off the table for me. Teams that are pushing their chips into the middle and are actually good, trade their future 1st round picks away. Do I even need to as if we are that team? lolzzzzz

We are going to have a log jam soon of entry level players ready for the NHL, so it's much more wise to trade a Kulich/Rosen/Savoie type.

By the time our 2024 8th overall pick is ready for their entry level deal, we will probly need it to average costs down.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Having a better 4th line than your opponents would be a good thing, not a bad thing

Having good players doesn’t mean it’s a good hockey team. It’s about mixing and matching pieces. We are literally witnessing what happens when you have a bunch of skilled players who play perimeter this year.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There's no law which states the 4th line needs be be bad. Peterka - Krebs - Savoie is going to outclass any 4th line.

If there was a line that was something like Coleman-Dowd-Duhaime to throw out there in the role that Girgensons-Krebs-Okposo has done this year, sure, that could work. Small and quick works as a mismatch but someone has to play the harder d-zone stuff.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Having good players doesn’t mean it’s a good hockey team. It’s about mixing and matching pieces. We are literally witnessing what happens when you have a bunch of skilled players who play perimeter this year.

They outscore their opponents 5v5 and get dumpstered on special teams?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
No, but there is a general rule of thumb that in order to be competitive, you have to have some good penalty killers and defensive forwards to throw out in desperate times to get your team out of a jam.

If you only have young offensive players up and down your lineup, your typically aren't going to be competitive, no matter how talented your bottom six is.

If you are lucky enough to have a surplus of two-way forwards that you can throw out in all situations to fill your 3rd and 4th lines, well then, the salary cap is probably going to decimate your depth in quick order as those players should command top dollar for their roles and will need to get paid.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
No, but there is a general rule of thumb that in order to be competitive, you have to have some good penalty killers and defensive forwards to throw out in desperate times to get your team out of a jam.

If you only have young offensive players up and down your lineup, your typically aren't going to be competitive, no matter how talented your bottom six is.

If you are lucky enough to have a surplus of two-way forwards that you can throw out in all situations to fill your 3rd and 4th lines, well then, the salary cap is probably going to decimate your depth in quick order as those players should command top dollar for their roles and will need to get paid.

The reason that rule of thumb exists is because teams haven't had multiple top prospects on ELC break in at once during the salary cap era.

Buffalo could conceivably have 8 next year, but probably will have 6: Benson, Peterka, Quinn, Savoie, Kulich, Levi, R. Johnson, Rosen.

Arizona would be a team to look at trying something novel soon.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
The reason that rule of thumb exists is because teams haven't had multiple top prospects on ELC break in at once during the salary cap era.

Buffalo could conceivably have 8 next year, but probably will have 6: Benson, Peterka, Quinn, Savoie, Kulich, Levi, R. Johnson, Rosen.

Arizona would be a team to look at trying something novel soon.

I think you are forgetting what happened in the Vegas game last year when Cozens, Peterka and Quinn were flying early, and then Cassidy kept deploying Kolesar, Howden and Carrier against that line and the Knights went out and absolutely destroyed the kids three shifts in a row. They all got tossed around like ragdolls and the knights started dominating.

Granato ended up sitting the line for the entire third period.

And then the same thing happened in Ottawa. And then it happened again in Vancouver.

While it looks amazing on paper, it usually fails spectacularly when a team tries to go with an all skill lineup. A team full of small, young skilled guys will get crushed as soon as the other team realizes that upping the physicality is actually a game plan that is effective.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I think you are forgetting what happened in the Vegas game last year when Cozens, Peterka and Quinn were flying early, and then Cassidy kept deploying Kolesar, Howden and Carrier against that line and the Knights went out and absolutely destroyed the kids three shifts in a row. They all got tossed around like ragdolls and the knights started dominating.

Granato ended up sitting the line for the entire third period.

And then the same thing happened in Ottawa. And then it happened again in Vancouver.

While it looks amazing on paper, it usually fails spectacularly when a team tries to go with an all skill lineup. A team full of small, young skilled guys will get crushed as soon as the other team realizes that upping the physicality is actually a game plan that is effective.
Pretty sure that year Colorado bottomed out randomly they deployed a similar lineup.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
To answer the question in the title:

Kevyn Adams is not allowed to trade 1st round draft picks.

Don't forget, the Director of Amateur Scouting is best friends with the owner.

Hopefully, this season will convince Pegula to loosen the reins on this.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
If Andersson is actually out there, it needs to be in play.
Is Chychrun a comparable trade? Similar term left.

- 1st (top ten protected)

- Conditional 2nd (could have turned into a 1st if Sens made the eastern conference final)

- 2nd

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Is Chychrun a comparable trade? Similar term left.

- 1st (top ten protected)

- Conditional 2nd (could have turned into a 1st if Sens made the eastern conference final)

- 2nd
I think Andersson is significantly more valuable. I’d assume we’d have to trade one of our 4 big prospects, a 1st and roster player. Term, right handed and a bargain contract.

And I’d do it.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think Andersson is significantly more valuable. I’d assume we’d have to trade one of our 4 big prospects, a 1st and roster player. Term, right handed and a bargain contract.

And I’d do it.

Savoie, this year's first 1OA protected and Vic as a cap balancer for Andersson and Coleman.

Reactions: Jacob582

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I could understand how 4 scoring lines could work. Seattle kinda did it last year. I dont understand how 4 scoring lines featuring players of such age and experience as benson, quinn, savoie, peterka, celibrini, kulich, cozens, power, and sammy playing with such noteworthy all situations players as skinner and thompson puts it together.

When your top line struggles to play in every zone you have to do some form of match up math. Then you follow up with cozens quinn and peterka and youre waiting for that line to mature into that consistent top line but until those players get there, you have 2 lines that match ups are a concern. To then want to match that with a third line that might be running 2 or even 3 more 21-22 yr olds that are also match up issues. And then compounding that by running a fourth line that has 21-22 yr olds on it... I just don't see how you ice that roster

I think we are already to a point where the presence of prospects is dragging down the overall roster but there's no where else to put them.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I could understand how 4 scoring lines could work. Seattle kinda did it last year. I dont understand how 4 scoring lines featuring players of such age and experience as benson, quinn, savoie, peterka, celibrini, kulich, cozens, power, and sammy playing with such noteworthy all situations players as skinner and thompson puts it together.

When your top line struggles to play in every zone you have to do some form of match up math. Then you follow up with cozens quinn and peterka and youre waiting for that line to mature into that consistent top line but until those players get there, you have 2 lines that match ups are a concern. To then want to match that with a third line that might be running 2 or even 3 more 21-22 yr olds that are also match up issues. And then compounding that by running a fourth line that has 21-22 yr olds on it... I just don't see how you ice that roster

I think we are already to a point where the presence of prospects is dragging down the overall roster but there's no where else to put them.

Seattle did it with a lot of guys who are so much better at a sustained forecheck than the Sabres forwards have shown themselves to be though. Guys like Gourde, Tanev, Tolvanen, even Burakovsky and McCann -- they all are way harder on the cycle than just about any Sabre forward. Toss in a shift disturber like Kartye... but one of the keys is that almost all of the Seattle forwards are in the 25-30 range. They're pros. They know the game and there is a certain style that the Kraken want to play with, which they then do so.

Buffalo has a style too - fly-bys and one-and-dones and fancy overpassing. Four lines of that are going to have sand kicked in their faces even more than it already is.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Savoie, this year's first 1OA protected and Vic as a cap balancer for Andersson and Coleman.
It would probably have to be top 3 protected or something but yeah. I’d do it for sure. I’d even swap Krebs for Olofsson if Coleman is involved

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It would probably have to be top 3 protected or something but yeah. I’d do it for sure. I’d even swap Krebs for Olofsson if Coleman is involved

I have doubts for how much longer Coleman is going to be at the level he's at this year but in the meantime, he's got game that this team could use in the middle 6 that isn't some of the same candy-asses.

I'd even think they could reshape their RD without breaking the bank as this deal does and inject some life into their middle 6 to get actual pro play out of them consistently without doing so too. And I know this because we watch other teams do it every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad