Is Ottawa a goaltender away from the Playoffs? Where do they go from here?

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's pretty scary that a team that will be missing the playoffs for the 7th straight season is ranked dead last for their farm system. Dorian really did a number on that team.

Did you even read it?

“Now, there’s no reason to panic, the reason their prospect pool looks so bare is simply because most of their best young players have graduated from this list and into the NHL full-time. If this were a ranking of the best young cores then the Senators would find themselves significantly higher on this list on the backs of players like Jake Sanderson, Ridley Greig and Tim Stutzle.”

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Did you even read it?

“Now, there’s no reason to panic, the reason their prospect pool looks so bare is simply because most of their best young players have graduated from this list and into the NHL full-time. If this were a ranking of the best young cores then the Senators would find themselves significantly higher on this list on the backs of players like Jake Sanderson, Ridley Greig and Tim Stutzle.”
I have. No need to panic doesn't mean they are in a good place. A team that has finished near the bottom for most of the past 6 seasons should have a more respectable prospect pool than dead last even with recent graduates.

Reactions: Voight and Hobnobs

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Staois is going to shake things up at the draft table and in the summer. I can't say what for sure but it won't be small changes.. There will be massive shakeups in every department.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I have. No need to panic doesn't mean they are in a good place. A team that has finished near the bottom for most of the past 6 seasons should have a more respectable prospect pool than dead last even with recent graduates.

Who needs a prospect pool when you can spend mid 1sts on 1-2 seasons of a player that doesn’t want to be there?

Reactions: viceroy and Voight

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I feel like posts like this are overestimating how much of a roster improvement is needed for a turnaround.

Vancouver massively improved this year despite really only adding Hronek, Suter and Brueger, thanks to their goaltending bouncing back& getting a new coach.

Yea, all they did was overhaul their entire defense...

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yea, all they did was overhaul their entire defense...
Also PDO. Last season, their PDO was 99.5. This season it's 102.8, though worth noting is that it peaked around 105 PDO in January when they were ranked #1 in the league.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
They sure did some damage to their own team signing Korpisalo to a 4x5 contract.
Just like Yzerman did when he signed Husso to a 3x4.75 and Justin Holl to a 3x3.4 in Detroit. Then again Wings are a bubble team, and Sens are on the same pace as rebuilding Habs. Looking at Ottawas roster i think the bigger problem, than in the net is down the middle, as in they dont have very good centers. Very similar situation as in Detroit for me, Larkin is great but after that the centers are not good enough for me to get in to playoffs or make a push if they do.

The biggest problem of Sens to me is coaching, with better head coach they would be neck in neck with Red Wings IMO.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I feel like posts like this are overestimating how much of a roster improvement is needed for a turnaround.

Vancouver massively improved this year despite really only adding Hronek, Suter and Brueger, thanks to their goaltending bouncing back& getting a new coach.

Tocchet was a big add because they desperately needed structure, but hronek is no little add either.

There's talk about whether the Canucks can even retain him and he could make more money than hughes on his next deal.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
The team is just screwed. They have on paper a really good top 6 and top 4 dmen. But you can't blame goalie issues considering they had Talbot who's easily a top 15 goalie in the NHL.

They need a better coach and get their top players to actually give a shit from game 1 not 61

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Did you even read it?

That's only part of the story, Dorion pissed away an absolutely ridiculous amount of assets.

Trading 7th OA, a 2nd and a 3rd for Debrincat, only to trade him a year later.
Trading away 2nds for Stepan and Matt Murray, and to dump Zaitsev,
Trading a 3rd for Hamonic.
Wasting 1st rounders on Boucher, Lassi Thomson, and JBD(the latter is an decent bottom pair guy, but we could have drafted better).

Plus there's the Chyrchrun trade(12th OA and two 2nds), although Staois could still salvage this one if he gets a good return for Chychrun.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
That's only part of the story, Dorion pissed away an absolutely ridiculous amount of assets.

Trading 7th OA, a 2nd and a 3rd for Debrincat, only to trade him a year later.
Trading away 2nds for Stepan and Matt Murray, and to dump Zaitsev,
Trading a 3rd for Hamonic.
Wasting 1st rounders on Boucher, Lassi Thomson, and JBD(the latter is an decent bottom pair guy, but we could have drafted better).

Plus there's the Chyrchrun trade(12th OA and two 2nds), although Staois could still salvage this one if he gets a good return for Chychrun.
Sure but this is not a thread for re-litigating the past. Ottawa still has a young group of talented players but they're on the roster so don't fit a "prospect" definition.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
They aren't a hockey team. Might be young enough to salvage something out of it, but they don't do anything well beyond finishing and don't have much talent.

Sometimes with great coaching and cheap depth you can turn that into a playoff team, but they need basically everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad