Is Ottawa a goaltender away from the Playoffs? Where do they go from here?

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Talbot

2022 wild .911%
2023 Sens .898
2024 Kings .916%

Nah I'm thinking it's the coaching/D, not the goalies.

Forsberg also dropped from a .917 in 2022 to .902 in 2023 to .885 this year. Kids starting scoring at will last year and suddenly all their goalies suck. It's not a coincidence.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The team makes NO sense. They never do. Such a mess of an organization.

I'll believe they are playoff bound when I see it.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Sens have literally the worst goaltending this season, even with average goaltending they would have been in the playoffs(see tweet).

I do believe they can be a good team with a new goalie+coaching

That’s so ruthless how it shows the Sharks should be even worse than they are.

To answer OPs question: no.

Ottawa needs more than a goaltender to extinguish the dumpster fire.

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
That tweet has them still not in the playoffs.....
I think one could make a reasonable assumption that looking at the current season and extrapolating that to the expected standings in the tweet that they would hold the first tiebreaker over philly, but you're right they would merely be tied for the fnal playoff spot.

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
They’ve had some of the worst goaltending in recent memory from a whole team but the issues go beyond that. It’s both. They’d be better and possibly even a playoff team if they could get a save but they don’t have a ton of depth, grit or really much of anything they need to be successful.

Hopefully Josh Norris can live up to that contract when he’s healthy because that’s an ugly one.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Their issues go far, far beyond just goaltending.
Yes, they're a goalie away from the playoffs

...along with a couple of top 4 defensemen and a couple of top 6 forwards and an NHL level coach

I feel like posts like this are overestimating how much of a roster improvement is needed for a turnaround.

Vancouver massively improved this year despite really only adding Hronek, Suter and Brueger, thanks to their goaltending bouncing back& getting a new coach.

Reactions: wintersej

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
A disappointing season for Ottawa no doubt. They won’t give away their pick this year but have to soon so they should probably go for the playoffs. Margins are narrow in the NHL and their goaltending was a terrible Achilles heel for them. What can they do to improve in that area and would an upgrade put them on track?

Every team is a goaltender away from the playoffs.

Also no.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Goaltending is clearly an issue, but the fact that goalies leave and thrive says it is a system issue. The Bruins this year have shown that if you have a solid system, that everyone knows, you can get guys to do their job and thrive. Zacha, Coyle, etc have been put into scenarios that were rare for them in recent times and because the system works, they do well. The Bruins have good goalies but they look even better in that system.

Ottawa seems the opposite of that. They rightly went down the route of acquiring top end talent (Stutzle, Sanderson) but then decided to change direction with grit (Greig, Boucher) then back to talent (Chychrun). The change of management may see this improve but I don't see what their identity or plan is, and they look like they want to be everything.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That’s so ruthless how it shows the Sharks should be even worse than they are.

To answer OPs question: no.

Ottawa needs more than a goaltender to extinguish the dumpster fire.
I feel like posts like this are overestimating how much of a roster improvement is needed for a turnaround.

Vancouver massively improved this year despite really only adding Hronek, Suter and Brueger, thanks to their goaltending bouncing back& getting a new coach.
Huh? They replaced two thirds of their D. Adding Soucy, Hronek, Cole and Zadorov is a massive turnover. Only Hughes and Myers are holdovers on D. Also, Demko getting healthy was a key factor too.
But one of the primary factors was a completely revamped D.

Reactions: Hobnobs and DaveG

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Sens have literally the worst goaltending this season, even with average goaltending they would have been in the playoffs(see tweet).

I do believe they can be a good team with a new goalie+coaching

This is exactly what they said last season.

So they decided to let Cam Talbot walk who has a .911 save percentage the year prior to signing in Ottawa, and a .915 save percentage the year after leaving Ottawa.

They signed Korpisalo who had a .914 save percentage last year to replace him.

I don’t think the goalie is the problem.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
They need to fix a hell of a lot more than goaltending.

Don't get me wrong, a hot goalie all year can take any team to the playoffs.

But this team has sooo many issues that I can't see them being a contender any time soon.

So much wasted value gone...

They may need to restart the rebuild and do it right this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad