Is Ottawa a darkhorse this season again?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
3 on 3 is far closer to real hockey than the shootout, but I'm not invested in it. Go back to 4 on 4 for OT, and kill the point for winning in the shootout. 3 on 3 came about because people didn't like that teams were getting too many points from the shootout. It's not needed either. Fans can go home happy with a winner being declared, standings can be minimally affected by gimmicks.

I don't even mind the shootout. but true. don't like it's effect on the standings.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't even mind the shootout. but true. don't like it's effect on the standings.
As a side benefit (to some anyways) by eliminated the point for a shootout win, you might see players get more creative as it won't cost them points in the standings. Get the guys showing off their skill rather than always going for the high percentage plays.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
As a side benefit (to some anyways) by eliminated the point for a shootout win, you might see players get more creative as it won't cost them points in the standings. Get the guys showing off their skill rather than always going for the high percentage plays.

problem is, how do you reward the shootout win? separate column, tiebreaker?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Loss column is usually a good indicator of how good, bad, or mediocre a team is. Ottawa is 2nd best in least amount of losses this season with 3, to TB's 2.

The class of the Atlantic to me are TB and Ottawa this year. Hard to believe they only have a combined 5 losses thus far.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Meh, the sens are in the group after the cup favorites as teams that have a shot. Probably on the higher end of Th st group given the veteran heavy roster, and experience of last season.

As always in the playoffs, a lot depends on first round matchup.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Meh, the sens are in the group after the cup favorites as teams that have a shot. Probably on the higher end of Th st group given the veteran heavy roster, and experience of last season.

As always in the playoffs, a lot depends on first round matchup.

I would put them in that spot too as of right now. Lots being made in this thread about OT and shootouts.....but the point about Ottawa only having lost 3 times in regulation is glossed over. The 3 on 3 and the OT goes away in the playoffs.

There's a long road yet to the playoffs. In terms of who is missing pieces, I think a lot of teams are missing something here or there. In Ottawa's case, they are scoring a ton which they did not do last year in the first year of Boucher's new system. Right now they are struggling with keeping the puck out which I blame on EK's not yet up to speed skating and a pretty soft start to the season from the goaltending. If those things come around, I'm not sure Ottawa is missing anything although the goaltending concerns me

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
neither team is a contender at this point. dark horse or not.

teams outside the top 5 or 6 in the league just don't win the cup. people point to LA that one year but we all know they were a top 5 team.

and no making the final (Nashville) doesn't count.

What? Plenty of teams have won despite not being considered favourites before they ever won the cup. Carolina, tampa bay, LA, anaheim.

Teams like tampa, LA, and anaheim got considered favourites after winning, but going into the seasons before they won their cup, they were not a top 5 predicted team to win the cup. Some people said "watch out for this team, they have good pieces" but were generally thought of as mid playoff teams...until they won, and then got predicted as contenders the following years, obviously.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You are just posting shooting %. Im talking xGF% and 5v5 Corsi.

Corsi? lol

To elaborate, I said this awhile ago in a game they played. They took the lead early in the game outplaying an opponent, then with a lead they let them punch themselves out by sitting back and defending. Those corsi's are meaningless when a team is in the lead and is intent on allowing meaningless shots directed at the net. Bottom line is they were a shade from upsetting the cup champions last year in the conference finals, they have picked off this year from last. Not sure how they are not contenders.

But it's probably fine with the Sens that they are overlooked, being an underdog does have its advantages.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Sure, why not? They're not a legit top contender, but they're one of many teams that could make noise or go on a run.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Sure, why not? They're not a legit top contender, but they're one of many teams that could make noise or go on a run.

I like how they are built and coached. It goes far beyond having one of the best 1-3 best players in the NHL. Ottawa may be Karlsson and the Sens. But the And the Sens part is a good team on its own too. Stone is not getting a lot of noise on the Mainboard until just recently. But this is a talented well coached and selfless team. Living in Ontario, I see them as Ontario's team, and for a time last year when they were the last team standing Canada's capital and team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
because he shouldn't even count anymore. you count up Horton, robidas, and lupus and the leafs have among the highest man games lost to injury too. he's played 8 games in the last two regular seasons. the guy needs to be set out to pasture.
Difference between those players and Macarthur is he is actually still a good hockey player that contributes. The only one that needs to be put out to pasture is you and your writing ability. I don’t like to rag on spelling, grammar, etc, however you could mix in a period or a capital letter here and there.

I think they are a dark horse as they will likely be in the playoffs but arent a favorite.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
What I take from this thread is that Nyquil is the God of likes on HFboards.

Also, props to some Leafs fans showing love for the Sens. Very classy of some of you! I almost teared.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What I take from this thread is that Nyquil is the God of likes on HFboards.

Also, props to some Leafs fans showing love for the Sens. Very classy of some of you! I almost teared.

I can only speak for myself. I am not a Ottawa Sens fan. Nor am I a fan of one particular NHL team. I have favorite players I follow, and teams I enjoy watching. And the Sens are one of the teams I enjoy watching at the top of my list. They play hockey as it is meant to. A team approach where individuals sacrifice individual accomplishments to better the team overall. I find structured hockey fun, being a tactician by nature. I also enjoy a team that executes a system better than others that allows them to go further than more talented teams on paper. The Sens are an entertaining team to me that are contenders. I think the lack of respect does not hurt them, it may actually play into their hands. So disrespect is not a bad thing. On paper, other then EK, one would not think they contenders I suppose.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
because he shouldn't even count anymore. you count up Horton, robidas, and lupus and the leafs have among the highest man games lost to injury too. he's played 8 games in the last two regular seasons. the guy needs to be set out to pasture.

Last year you certainly could include MacArthur. After all he was expected to start the season, he was penciled into the line up and when he was an injured a return was expected right up until the middle of February. This season however, it was known before camp that he wouldn’t be there and it doesn’t seem like a return is expected.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Last year you certainly could include MacArthur. After all he was expected to start the season, he was penciled into the line up and when he was an injured a return was expected right up until the middle of February. This season however, it was known before camp that he wouldn’t be there and it doesn’t seem like a return is expected.

Colin White came back from his injury early on. Really like this player, the Sens could invariable be better when he makes it back. 3 pts in 6 Ahl games thus far. He can fill in the void MacArthur left.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
When you were a goal away from the SCF last year and you just made one of the biggest hockey trades since the Subban-Weber trade, you can't be considered a dark horse anymore.

Dark horse would be the Devils.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
They play a very sound and organized team game and are a real pain in the ass to play against. Might be a bit boring at times, but I honestly fear a first round match up against the Sens as we have not been playing well against them as of late. Although I guess I could hope this version of the Leafs has a bit of that early 2000s Leafs magic in them and brings it on in the playoffs though...:naughty:

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
Sens are not classified as a traditional contender and have obvious flaws. But they have the ability to win a Stanley cup. They need to get in and have a favourable matchup. Last year they really benefited from facing the bruins in round 1 and also having the other strong teams in the conference face each other. Still though, if you win a cup, it doesn't matter how you got there. A cup isn't less deserving because you had an easy road there.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I'm a Leafs fan that thinks the sens aren't that good. not because I hate the sens but because I look at the stats objectively and see that they are vastly out performing their expected goals for and that can only go on for so long. I hate the Habs but the stats tell me they are a better team than they show.

I don't buy into Boucher's system being a good one. I don't think getting outshot night after night is conducive to long term success. Just my opinion.

Wow....uninformed, or biased.
Lol, scoring real goals over expected goals
So how did you look at stats objectively again. Maybe explain or check the stats before you post crap.

Toronto is 22nd in shots against per game
And Ottawa is 6th in shots against per game.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I will say it again. I really like their chances if Anderson gets back to the form he played last year. Their do not have to change how they play. All they have to do is continue to believe and play their system. They already play like a team built like the playoffs. Boucher has these guys buying in. He was a great hire by Ottawa. May as well strike while the coach has the room. They all have limited shelf life. Sens should go for it this year. And if EK is healthy the entire playoff run, this is a scary team to face. But if I were a Sens fan I would prefer the underrated, they are not good narrative. Being an underdog has so many advantages. And Boucher can play to this.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
They play a very sound and organized team game and are a real pain in the ass to play against. Might be a bit boring at times, but I honestly fear a first round match up against the Sens as we have not been playing well against them as of late. Although I guess I could hope this version of the Leafs has a bit of that early 2000s Leafs magic in them and brings it on in the playoffs though...:naughty:

Sorry friend but the tide has turned, and we've started a new chapter.

Now we have the lowly, hardworking character built Sens, going up against the all but assured cup winner, offensive powerhouse Maple Leafs. What could possibly go wrong for them on their road to the cup? Surely not a little speed bump like the Sens.

:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad