Is Ottawa a darkhorse this season again?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
you mean a rival team dislikes and says bad stuff about them wow what a shocker...
I hate the Leafs, but I can still see their potential and acknowledge that they are a playoff team.

Most Leaf fans seem incapable of seeing the Sens as anything but garbage.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I hate the Leafs, but I can still see their potential and acknowledge that they are a playoff team.

neither team is a contender at this point. dark horse or not.

teams outside the top 5 or 6 in the league just don't win the cup. people point to LA that one year but we all know they were a top 5 team.

and no making the final (Nashville) doesn't count.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015

You're generalizing though. Hf board leafs fans do not represent most leafs fan and is a select group of people with anonymity saying whatever they want just like any other fan base on here.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Well considering the Sens were one goal from being in the final last year demonstrating their ability to play playoff hockey and are once again disproving their critics with a solid start this season, I disagree.

The Sens are not favorites, but they are contenders.

Reactions: AweDuchene

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I hate the term period. I don't understand how teams that played real hockey for 60 minutes which resulted in a tie game, only to eventually lose in a gimmick wasn't deserving of a single point.

This is something people can't seem to understand. You cannot punish teams for losing the gimmick, and treat it as a regular loss. Fundamentally, it does not work.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

I'm a Leafs fan that thinks the sens aren't that good. not because I hate the sens but because I look at the stats objectively and see that they are vastly out performing their expected goals for and that can only go on for so long. I hate the Habs but the stats tell me they are a better team than they show.

I don't buy into Boucher's system being a good one. I don't think getting outshot night after night is conducive to long term success. Just my opinion.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I'm a Leafs fan that thinks the sens aren't that good. not because I hate the sens but because I look at the stats objectively and see that they are vastly out performing their expected goals for and that can only go on for so long. I hate the Habs but the stats tell me they are a better team than they show.

I don't buy into Boucher's system being a good one. I don't think getting outshot night after night is conducive to long term success. Just my opinion.

For how long exactly?

Just wondering.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017

By that logic you would have a bleak outlook of your own team.
Toronto shots total: 588
shots against: 629
Have a shooting % of 12.1

Ottawa shots total: 514
shots against: 481
Have a shooting % of 11.3

League average
Shots: 536
Shots against: 534
Shooting % 9.3

By just looking at stats, especially at this point in the season is to say the least a little misleading. Wouldn't you agree?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
By that logic you would have a bleak outlook of your own team.
Toronto shots total: 588
shots against: 629
Have a shooting % of 12.1

Ottawa shots total: 514
shots against: 481
Have a shooting % of 11.3

League average
Shots: 536
Shots against: 534
Shooting % 9.3

By just looking at stats, especially at this point in the season is to say the least a little misleading. Wouldn't you agree?

You are just posting shooting %. Im talking xGF% and 5v5 Corsi.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Ottawa is neither a big market team nor a big name roster (aside from Karlsson, obviously) so it's easy to diminish them based on their perceived smaller footprint. However, after coming thisclose to the SCF they've earned some credit. They have a high level of offensive depth that makes them consistently dangerous. As a Habs fan I've seen enough of Anderson to know he has stretches of excellence -- if he's hot at the right time the Sens can be really good. The defence... honestly not sure, especially this season, but I'd guess that's their biggest variable. Odds are slim they can get as far in the playoffs this time around, but that's not a dig at the Sens as much as a nod to statistical probability.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Simple answer is yes they are a contender because the league is so watered down for the sake of parity anyone who gets in is a contender. The last two years in the east it was pens or caps. Everyone else was an also ran. Send beat two mediocre teams to face the pens. Now that the caps won't be that good and pens either win or get blown out, really only see Tampa as the legit powerhouse imo. The rest of the east is mediocre in that anyone can beat anyone between the other 7 playoffs teams. Also outside Tampa (barring injury) is anyone else a sure bet to make the playoffs

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You are just posting shooting %. Im talking xGF% and 5v5 Corsi.

and what is it you're talking?

what is xGF? it's a stat compiled by stat eggheads where you have a nominator and a denominator that pretends to mean something it doesn't and simply reflects the stat egghead's lack of understanding of the game.

is that what you're talking? your own lack of understanding of the game and statistics?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
3 on 3 is almost as much a skills comp as the shootout though.

4 on 4, okay, happens from time to time. 3 on 3? it's not real hockey either. its pond hockey.

I don't care about the "loser point". it would be more of a mess making a team lose a point from pond hockey or a shootout than it would be from winning one at it.

3 on 3 is far closer to real hockey than the shootout, but I'm not invested in it. Go back to 4 on 4 for OT, and kill the point for winning in the shootout. 3 on 3 came about because people didn't like that teams were getting too many points from the shootout. It's not needed either. Fans can go home happy with a winner being declared, standings can be minimally affected by gimmicks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad