Speculation: Is Noah Hanifin about to be a New Jersey Devil? (analysis of the situation)

Would you like a deal surrounding Noah Hanifin with a possible eight-year extension?

• Yes

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • No

Votes: 46 82.1%

• Total voters

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
As a rental the ask would probably be a first rounder at least. Not interested in doing that for a rental.

No interest in signing a guy like that (non-top pairing) for the max deal he is going to get.

Reactions: Guadana

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I don’t see a long term match with NJ. We have Luke and Simon to pay in 2 and 3 years and will need to fill out the rest of the defense with much smaller contracts than Hanifin will get.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I think Hanifin is a reasonable fit for what the Devils need - which, IMO, is a #2LD who can play top pair when needed and can PK. But, the other thing the Devils need is someone who can do all that at a reasonable cost, and I don't see Hanifin signing for under $7 million.

IMO, the other guy to look at is Ferraro in SJ. Significant downgrade in player, but signed for two more years at a reasonable cap it. You'd have to send Bahl out for him - I think Siegenthaler for Ferraro is pretty lateral, so not worth doing.

Perhaps a deal for Ferraro and Kakhonen? Feels expensive - I'm not sure what the Devils would send back to SJ. Bahl, Clarke + a 1st? Bahl, Stillman + a 1st? Not sure it's enough for SJ, but I also think Bahl ends up being the best player in the deal in a few years.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Agree with other posters here but thanks for bringing this up, the idea that the rumored signing was part of a sign and trade hadn't occurred to me. I could see them leaking that contract to see if anyone was willing to beat whatever offer they had on the table.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
That was rude of me. i thought you were a non-Devils troll. Instead you're just new. Keep the conversations going. I was wrong.
All good lol. I can see how itd come across; a new poster randomly suggesting we move a Swiss-boy and other assets for a pricey defenseman on a team with multiple high-end defensive prospects

I like Hanifin from what ive seen over the years but its hardly my idea; just connecting some dots in a poor attempt to be hockey's version of Murder She Wrote (or better yet, Monk!) lmfao

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I agree with the general nope sentiment. I would really like to see the equivalent of when we dealt for Kulikov. Not Kulikov himself, but I want an off the radar slightly-better-than Miller/Smith (wtf, I just realized we got Dmen who are named like hotel aliases...is there anyone named Johnson we could add?) guy who can eat minutes, play defense with some physicality and just help the rooks settle.

I don't think we need to tie up that cash, esp with our other prospects

That was rude of me. i thought you were a non-Devils troll. Instead you're just new. Keep the conversations going. I was wrong.
Awwwwwwww. Sweet.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I think Hanifin is a reasonable fit for what the Devils need - which, IMO, is a #2LD who can play top pair when needed and can PK. But, the other thing the Devils need is someone who can do all that at a reasonable cost, and I don't see Hanifin signing for under $7 million.

IMO, the other guy to look at is Ferraro in SJ. Significant downgrade in player, but signed for two more years at a reasonable cap it. You'd have to send Bahl out for him - I think Siegenthaler for Ferraro is pretty lateral, so not worth doing.

Perhaps a deal for Ferraro and Kakhonen? Feels expensive - I'm not sure what the Devils would send back to SJ. Bahl, Clarke + a 1st? Bahl, Stillman + a 1st? Not sure it's enough for SJ, but I also think Bahl ends up being the best player in the deal in a few years.
Oof. I was on board until you mentioned 1st and then like wut? That's alot of stuff that doesn't move the needle coming our way, and arguably we'd get worse in the deal. Kahkonnen, despite this year, is not going to thrive here.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
The Devils are full at LD for a long time.
They have Luke Hughes, Siegenthaler for 4 years after this, and Bahl for several more years of team control.

A deal to sign Hanifin long term would have to include Siegenthaler, but then where is the value? Hanifin rental would be roughly the same value as a cost controlled Siegenthaler for 4+ years but he's currently injured.

In addition, can the Devils really afford Hanifin long term? Their defense is going to get very expensive with Hamilton $9m, Hanifin $7m+, and Hughes/Nemec contracts coming up. A cost controlled 20min/night defenseman (Siegenthaler) would be necessary.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
This is a move made out of pure desperation from injuries. Long term it makes 0 sense. Wait for a good deal come to us, get a stop gap or just play it out with the injuries. I don't see Fitz doing this.

Reactions: My3Sons

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Ferraro is bad. I wouldn't move a first for him. I probably wouldn't move anything at all for him.

I should have just suggested Ferraro as a target and not made the specific trade suggestion. I have no idea what player values are. I just know that the Sharks want futures, and Ferraro likely takes Bahl's spot when Siegenthaler is back. I looked at some Sharks threads on Reddit. Seems like Ferraro may be valued at a 2nd. Do with that as you will.

In terms of Ferraro, I think his stats are brought down by being on the Sharks. I think with better usage and a better partner, we'd see a lot of upside in Ferraro. Ferraro has been averaging over 22 min per night. He plays with Kyle Burroughs. He's around 65% defensive zone starts. He wouldn't need to do any of that in NJ.

And, I get that Ferraro + Kahkonen isn't needle moving. But, the Devils kinda have their core already (other than in net). They can't really bring in a piece that moves the needle unless a) it's a rental deal; b) they are swapping out someone from their core; or c) it's for a sweetheart contract (like Tampa's deals for Coleman, Hagel, etc.).

IMO, Ferraro is a depth add with a contract that the Devils can afford for the next couple of years. That's worth something.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I should have just suggested Ferraro as a target and not made the specific trade suggestion. I have no idea what player values are. I just know that the Sharks want futures, and Ferraro likely takes Bahl's spot when Siegenthaler is back. I looked at some Sharks threads on Reddit. Seems like Ferraro may be valued at a 2nd. Do with that as you will.

In terms of Ferraro, I think his stats are brought down by being on the Sharks. I think with better usage and a better partner, we'd see a lot of upside in Ferraro. Ferraro has been averaging over 22 min per night. He plays with Kyle Burroughs. He's around 65% defensive zone starts. He wouldn't need to do any of that in NJ.

And, I get that Ferraro + Kahkonen isn't needle moving. But, the Devils kinda have their core already (other than in net). They can't really bring in a piece that moves the needle unless a) it's a rental deal; b) they are swapping out someone from their core; or c) it's for a sweetheart contract (like Tampa's deals for Coleman, Hagel, etc.).

IMO, Ferraro is a depth add with a contract that the Devils can afford for the next couple of years. That's worth something.
Ferraro also leads Sharks D-men in toi and PK toi. He plays a lot of tough minutes on a bad team.

I don't think I'd go after him, but I think you are right those #'s are skewed by playing tough minutes on a bad team.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
We're stacked on D prospects, we don't want anyone like this 8 years, and we don't really need this type of player. No.
2 yrs from now is when this stacked D will compete, maybe 1.5 but its 2 more yrs of the good contracts being eaten away at.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Wrong timing to trade for him, in my opinion.

If he makes it to free agency, I would strongly consider offering him 7 years depending on the AAV. Don’t think I’d trade the assets to acquire him right now though.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The Devils are full at LD for a long time.
They have Luke Hughes, Siegenthaler for 4 years after this, and Bahl for several more years of team control.

A deal to sign Hanifin long term would have to include Siegenthaler, but then where is the value? Hanifin rental would be roughly the same value as a cost controlled Siegenthaler for 4+ years but he's currently injured.

In addition, can the Devils really afford Hanifin long term? Their defense is going to get very expensive with Hamilton $9m, Hanifin $7m+, and Hughes/Nemec contracts coming up. A cost controlled 20min/night defenseman (Siegenthaler) would be necessary.

“In addition, can the Devils really afford Hanifin long term?”
No.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Oof. I was on board until you mentioned 1st and then like wut? That's alot of stuff that doesn't move the needle coming our way, and arguably we'd get worse in the deal. Kahkonnen, despite this year, is not going to thrive here.
Yeah, I don’t think Kahkonen will thrive here and he probably won’t be thriving on San Jose too much longer. He was horrible last year. It took Blackwood being his goalie partner for him to not look so bad.

Kind of joking and kind of not with that one.

Kahkonen would almost be like a richer man’s version of Gillies/Hammond/Domingue.

He isn’t THAT bad like those guys, but he would in all likelihood flop here. He’s mostly been a flop outside of Minnesota and his underlyings weren’t even very good up there.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Yeah, I don’t think Kahkonen will thrive here and he probably won’t be thriving on San Jose too much longer. He was horrible last year. It took Blackwood being his goalie partner for him to not look so bad.

Kind of joking and kind of not with that one.

Kahkonen would almost be like a richer man’s version of Gillies/Hammond/Domingue.

He isn’t THAT bad like those guys, but he would in all likelihood flop here. He’s mostly been a flop outside of Minnesota and his underlyings weren’t even very good up there.
Moneypuck seems to like him this year, no?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I have no interest in making any big moves. We can’t afford to big piece another guy long term. There’s a strong chance we don’t even make the playoffs this year so I’m not wasting assets on a guy short term.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Moneypuck seems to like him this year, no?
For now.

I’m skeptical it lasts much longer though.

If you look at his career on moneypuck, he’s been a - every year of his career until this one.

He has this year’s Vitek numbers his first two years in Minnesota and even worse than that last year.

I’m wrong on him being a minus every year but this year. He broke above even in 21-22, that was the year the Wild traded him to the Sharks and he played games with both teams that season. But it doesn’t let you differentiate games played with the Sharks and games played with the Wild that year.

Reactions: tailfins

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I want Dumoulin. I know sraken will not trade him, but I think he would be great here. May be if we actually give a reason to continue to be here for Misyul and give him a try, some team would be more interesting in him with having a look in the NHL environment.
Stetcher is a good player for trade, but he is RD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad