Speculation: Is Noah Hanifin about to be a New Jersey Devil? (analysis of the situation)

Would you like a deal surrounding Noah Hanifin with a possible eight-year extension?

• Yes

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • No

Votes: 46 82.1%

• Total voters

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
TSN is reporting within the *week* that New Jersey is a serious suitor for Noah Hanifin; add to this that, after multiple years of trade-block talk, hes now seemingly close to an eight year deal around 7.5m and you have something fishy going on

Calgary is the only team to complete a true sign-and-trade of a max-year contract. Siegenthaler going the other way would make the money work (for this season) + he has a M-NTC kicking in after this year, as well as four years term that Calgary wants for a defenseman coming back for Noah.

This isnt me saying I want him or dont.. but instead wondering if this all seems too coincidental to not seem like a fit for both sides that could be in the works. Fitzgerald seems to have been keen on Hanifin for some time now, according to past rumors between the two clubs; and Siegenthaler (when healthy) would provide a body on the defense of a team that is likely looking to shed salary for ownership as they build a new arena and go through a tough rebuild

Im curious what other Devils fans think about this (I tried posting this on Reddit as well but their entire system of karma is more a game than it is a forum board). What else would be needed to go to Calgary? Do you want Hanifin at eight years with an AAV of around 7.5m, as rumored? Would he fit nicely with Simon Nemec for the future while allowing Luke to man his own pair?

Noah Hanifin is turning 27 and would be 35 when the contract ends; he currently has 19pts in 40 games with a +5 differential for Calgary

Edit: Misread article, adjusted 'last 24 hours' to 'week'

Last edited by a moderator:

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Where is TSN saying the Devils are serious contenders? I just like to read the original source to get my own opinion on the vibe.

I couldn’t find it with a quick google or Twitter search.

My answer is leaning “no” though.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Where is TSN saying the Devils are serious contenders? I just like to read the original source to get my own opinion on the vibe.

I couldn’t find it with a quick google or Twitter search.

My answer is leaning “no” though.

I mean can we even trade Siegs when hurt ?? lol
I dont believe there is any rule against it like, say, I think the NFL has; physicals pending, of course

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

I dont believe there is any rule against it like, say, I think the NFL has; physicals pending, of course
Ok. So it’s mostly based on a rumor from The Fourth Period who makes up stuff most of the time for clicks and is from almost a week ago.

My vibe check feels this is all people spitballing or rumor mongering.

I do appreciate the links so I could read them.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Ok. So it’s mostly based on a rumor from The Fourth Period who makes up stuff most of the time for clicks and is from almost a week ago.

My vibe check feels this is all people spitballing or rumor mongering.

I do appreciate the links so I could read them.
I find the coincidences in these rumors to be most intriguing.

Siegenthaler's M-NTC kicking in after this season, having four years term left (Calgary's GM has discussed wanting this), and being the same handedness as Hanifin who is looking for an eight year deal from the only team to make such a sign-and-trade. Not to mention, though Id have to do a search to find them, I remember hearing Fitzgerald (and the Devils with Shero) tied to Hanifin in the past.

This isnt really what I am pushing for but instead I find it fascinating how perfectly the dominoes line up; if we wanted to pursue such a thing.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Apologies if I broke any rules; was doing some sleuthing and figured id share my thoughts on the matter

if you want a wider variety other fans' opinions you can post your topic on the sub forum also.

Last edited:

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
if you want other fans' opinions you can post your topic on the sub forum also.

It would seem as if I dont have the same privileges in that subforum as I do here (or so I see no 'Post Thread' button); though I appreciate the info

Reactions: njdevils1982

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I do, though, have concerns about how the cap would work with the return of Hamilton and if we are entertaining moving on from Palat this off-season.

I trust in Fitz to do what is right whether that means Hanifin or a goaltender or even standing pat this deadline and off-season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad