Is Nikita Zaitsev one of the top free agent signings of the last few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I'd go with Panarin. Easily the best import UFA signing among recent dmen though.
Zaitsev has easily been the leafs best dman this year. 2g/3a/5pts in 5 games with a +8. what a find!

Batrous

May 4, 2016
It's probably in the top 5 but Panarin's signing is probably going to be topping it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Guess neither of you realize the Leafs courted him a year prior to his free agency and the main reason he ultimately chose the Leafs was because they were the first to show interest.

Umm..no....go look back, Philly was interested in him years ago. Lots of Flyers fans knew who he was for years.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Value wise one could argue Zaytsev over Panarin. Good D-men are a rare commodity. As it was brought up in the thread Oilers had to give up a former 1OA established consistent top line scorer to get Lander. Signing one for free beats that by a country mile.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Value wise one could argue Zaytsev over Panarin. Good D-men are a rare commodity. As it was brought up in the thread Oilers had to give up a former 1OA established consistent top line scorer to get Lander. Signing one for free beats that by a country mile.

Panarin is better than Hall though, despite being undrafted of the same draft year...

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Panarin/Radulov are clearly #1 and 2 for non-drafted active FAs in the last 5 to 8 years. Beyond that who would be better than Zaitsev? It's not like there is a long list of active FAs that are tearing up the league.

This should be on the Leafs board, but it really isn't that far off base.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Panarin/Radulov are clearly #1 and 2 for non-drafted active FAs in the last 5 to 8 years. Beyond that who would be better than Zaitsev? It's not like there is a long list of active FAs that are tearing up the league.

This should be on the Leafs board, but it really isn't that far off base.

Bobrovsky has them both beat.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
this is like saying "Is McDavid the best draft pick the last few years?". It was a lottery. All these russians are just picking teams they aren't "great signings".

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
this is like saying "Is McDavid the best draft pick the last few years?". It was a lottery. All these russians are just picking teams they aren't "great signings".

You think there is nothing that the GMs do? Just sit there and wait for a signature?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Panarin is better than Hall though, despite being undrafted of the same draft year...
Zaytsev is from the same wjc team. Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Panarin, Zaytsev, Orlov were the top guys. It is beyond me how Panarin and Zaytsev went undrafted.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I was surprised that Zaitsev went undrafted for multiple years. He was a known prospect and was even thought to be a possible 2nd rounder.

He also got a shot with NHL team before, I believe he was in Rangers camp.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Good signing but part of why he looks so good is just the Babcock effect. See Dekeyser as a comparable in Detroit, during Babcock's tenure and after.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Twice as many points and almost 2 min more TOI, than Larsson in his rookie season, and this season it's even stupid to compare them so far. Of course, the season has just started, but still...

How old was Zaitsev again in his rookie year? 24?

Oh and he played 7 years of KHL hockey before that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad