Speculation: Is Lou really all that great.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
if you can find 12 Marners that might work but my point is you need a mix of players and loading up on small skilled guys every draft isn't an effective use of your picks

When you're drafting, you're finding the best players available all the time. They won't be ready for years unless you are lucky. Constructing your team by drafting for needs is terrible and a very outdated way of thinking. It's not how it should work.

The last thing I'd look at is the height of a player if they are efficient at their current level and demonstrate potential. If the player is 6'5", then so be it... but forcing that pick just because you need a big player is really terrible.

I sure as hell wish we drafted DeBrincat instead of Korshkov, even if it's a little early to say. I sure as hell wish we could have drafted Mete over Middleton as well and I think you'd be crazy not to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tak7 and weems

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
When you're drafting, you're finding the best players available all the time. They won't be ready for years unless you are lucky. Constructing your team by drafting for needs is terrible and a very outdated way of thinking. It's not how it works.

Eventually you'll have a mix because you will be in a position to draft all kinds of players with various size.

The last thing I'd look at is the height of a player if they are efficient at their current level and demonstrate potential.

I sure as hell wish we drafted DeBrincat instead of Korshkov.
outside of the top of the draft there really isn't really a bpa and as you said it's subjective

also i'm not advocating the Burke method of drafting where you keep picking big guys with limited skill and bs ourselves into believing there skill level will rise

i said we should concentrate on drafting a mix of players and you disagreed and then you said we'll going to draft various sized players ? if you also believe we should draft a variety of players what you disagreeing about ?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
outside of the top of the draft there really isn't really a bpa and as you said it's subjective

also i'm not advocating the Burke method of drafting where you keep picking big guys with limited skill and bs ourselves into believing there skill level will rise

i said we should concentrate on drafting a mix of players and you disagreed and then you said we'll going to draft various sized players ? if you also believe we should draft a variety of players what you disagreeing about ?

I'm saying draft based on actual hockey skills and efficiency regardless of size. Rather a simple concept.

Either way, Hunter doesn't need be taught by Lamoriello how to draft players.

Reactions: Menzinger

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I'm saying draft based on actual hockey skills and efficiency regardless of size. Rather a simple concept.

Either way, Hunter doesn't need be taught by Lamoriello how to draft players.
yea a simple concept but no one was making the argument that we should draft big untalented slugs

it's not about teaching him how to draft but instead helping him transition into building NHL teams and not jr teams

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
yea a simple concept but no one was making the argument that we should draft big untalented slugs

it's not about teaching him how to draft but instead helping him transition into building NHL teams and not jr teams

First, he doesn't need to know that. He knows how to draft and has been doing it before Lamoriello came on. "Hey Mark... you can't draft a bunch of midgets" "Uh... That's not what I'm doing Lou??" "Ok."

2nd of all, I was asking Mess before you butt in so it's rather bizarre that you're explaining what he means? You said that you can't have a team full of midgets and all I said size is irrelevant when you draft, which is true. It has nothing to do with the team and current needs. We were talking about purely drafting. That's it that's all.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
First, he doesn't need to know that. He knows how to draft and has been doing it before Lamoriello came on. "Hey Mark... you can't draft a bunch of midgets" "Uh... That's not what I'm doing Lou??" "Ok."

2nd of all, I was asking Mess before you butt in so it's rather bizarre that you're explaining what he means? You said that you can't have a team full of midgets and all I said size is irrelevant when you draft, which is true. It has nothing to do with the team and current needs. We were talking about purely drafting. That's it that's all.
i just gave my opinion on what i believed Mess meant , no need to get so worked up

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
When you're drafting, you're finding the best players available all the time. They won't be ready for years unless you are lucky. Constructing your team by drafting for needs is terrible and a very outdated way of thinking. It's not how it should work.

The last thing I'd look at is the height of a player if they are efficient at their current level and demonstrate potential. If the player is 6'5", then so be it... but forcing that pick just because you need a big player is really terrible.

I sure as hell wish we drafted DeBrincat instead of Korshkov, even if it's a little early to say. I sure as hell wish we could have drafted Mete over Middleton as well and I think you'd be crazy not to be.

Yep - always have to take best player available. If that results in you having a surplus at a specific position, then you now have trade assets.

The Burke/Nonis regime rather regularly drafted by need (Biggs, Percy, Finn) rather than BPA

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
i just gave my opinion on what i believed Mess meant , no need to get so worked up

You were spot on to my point. :)

Drafting 15 years (with growth years ahead) to assemble a junior team playing against other teenagers, is a lot different than drafting 18/19 year olds trying to build a winning NHL team against men and the best players in the world.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lou Lam's biggest contribution to the Leafs was educating Mark Hunter and reminding him he was no longer drafting for his junior team but rather an NHL team instead.

Funny, I’d say thebpst two draft cycles for the leafs (first round aside) look pretty underwhelming.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Lou has all his picks in the first three rounds of the draft. Calgary has none. Is Burke all that great? Ha

Actually we still own every pick for 5 years straight except our 6th roundet this year that went for Calvin Pickard. Thats a great trade for the Marlies.

Last edited:

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario

Middleton was taken after Mete. We would have had to take Mete instead of Brooks so I don't think it was a height thing.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
He a Master. Just like Kane in kung fu. He just walked the earth and took it over. Lou did that.

In the future we need a couple of big bodies to play with the kids nylander marner etc. Simmonds, Tom Wilson, Neely, Clark, Roberts, even Joe Thornton type of sucka here. We need that big sucka type more who can also play some. Y'all don't have to be heroes like bonnie tyler sang but y'all gotta be even that Tom Wilson type of sucka who can do dat dere.

Reactions: 54thecup

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
You guys getting ready to crown Dubas need to slow your rolls
The guy is responsible for one of the most lopsided deals in junior hockey history when he traded for Jack Campbell, all Lou did when he wanted a top goalie is get one at a good price. At least know what you are talking about, Dubas is no superstar yet.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Middleton was taken after Mete. We would have had to take Mete instead of Brooks so I don't think it was a height thing.

Oh, I know. The point was more about them being on the opposite side of the "midget" meter. One is a NHLer and World Junior gold winner, while the other is on the verge of being left unsigned.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You were spot on to my point. :)

Drafting 15 years (with growth years ahead) to assemble a junior team playing against other teenagers, is a lot different than drafting 18/19 year olds trying to build a winning NHL team against men and the best players in the world.
I'm surprised that never came up in Hunters interview. Did Shanahan drop the ball there and need to bring Lou Lam in to correct this oversight?
Thankfully it was only one draft before Hunter was made aware of this.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
it means a forward group consisting of skilled midgets isn't going to get you anywhere
Yes because building with size in the Burke years worked so well. The NHl has changed a lot.
Our softest forward might be JVR one of our biggest.,

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm surprised that never came up in Hunters interview. Did Shanahan drop the ball there and need to bring Lou Lam in to correct this oversight?
Thankfully it was only one draft before Hunter was made aware of this.

If you review Hunter's 1st draft (before Lou) and then the last 2 (after Lou) you would think 2 different head scouts made the selections.

A dramatic and noticeable change happened after Lou became GM.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Yes because building with size in the Burke years worked so well. The NHl has changed a lot.
Our softest forward might be JVR one of our biggest.,
since when are these the only only 2 options to building a team ? i specifically said you need a mix of players

also the butt lickers were all behind Burke and his truculence building model while having a good laugh at the Habs and there smurfs

Last edited:

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
Since we are talking about drafting and type of players, I would definitely prioritize speed and hands over anything else. Have you noticed what this new NHL is trending towards, it's more than small vs big: Barzal, Gourde, Connor, Boeser (which I would admit is an anomaly, but he makes up for it in his shot), Heinen, Butcher, Debrusk and like all of the Vegas rookie are fast and have good hands. Look for that, especially one that plays hard and you can always hit on the pick.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You can add size later. The blue chip talent is the hardest to get. The Leafs did a great job in adding that.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If you review Hunter's 1st draft (before Lou) and then the last 2 (after Lou) you would think 2 different head scouts made the selections.

Do other Teams draft the same type of players each draft? I would think it would be pretty common that things change from year to year.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

BUT one has to fairly ask

would we have seen the change if the organisation had not already filled out it's skill quota

almost all of our skilled players could be listed as "not big" and that being the case

it does not hurt to draft big guys IF they only major difference between two potential picks, is their size.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
since when are these the only only 2 options to building a team ? i specifically said you need a mix of players

also the butt lickers were all behind Burke and his truculence building model while having a good laugh at the Habs and there smurfs

Funny that those Smurfs Habs teams constantly made the playoffs while Burke’s truculence continued in mediocrity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad