Speculation: Is Lou really all that great.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Im glad Lou is gone, telling grown men to shave and cut there hair is embarassing.

Giving up a 2nd at the deadline for Plekanec(when the coach was not on the same and not moving JVR for a 1st round pick and B level prospect , Bozak for a 2nd round pick...is a terrible misjudgement. Leafs would have had (2) first round picks, (3) second round picks and a very good look at Nylander at the center position, which is important for contract status and if Nylander proved himself, u focus on acquiring a defenseman and not a 3rd line center. Both are of equal importance, right now for this team. The playoffs were cemented at the deadline, this was a misjudgement for a team that picked 1st overall 2 seasons ago.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We are about to find out now when we compare the team results under Lou (set Leafs All-time wins and points in a season after drafting Matthews #1OA by positioning the Leafs to finish 30th) to Dubas now going forward.

Will the Leafs improve or decline under new GM but Dubas, but he will be able to build off of Matthews and Freddy Andersen a #1C and #1G that Lou provided.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Im glad Lou is gone, telling grown men to shave and cut there hair is embarassing.

Giving up a 2nd at the deadline for Plekanec(when the coach was not on the same and not moving JVR for a 1st round pick and B level prospect , Bozak for a 2nd round pick...is a terrible misjudgement. Leafs would have had (2) first round picks, (3) second round picks and a very good look at Nylander at the center position, which is important for contract status and if Nylander proved himself, u focus on acquiring a defenseman and not a 3rd line center. Both are of equal importance, right now for this team. The playoffs were cemented at the deadline, this was a misjudgement for a team that picked 1st overall 2 seasons ago.

No evidence any team offered a 1st and B prospect for JVR. That's just completely made up.

I suppose you had Vegas in the finals this year?

Anything can happen in the playoffs these days.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
We are about to find out now when we compare the team results under Lou (set Leafs All-time wins and points in a season after drafting Matthews #1OA by positioning the Leafs to finish 30th) to Dubas now going forward.

Will the Leafs improve or decline under new GM but Dubas, but he will be able to build off of Matthews and Freddy Andersen a #1C and #1G that Lou provided.

Who cares? His goal should be winning the cup not set some meaningless regular season records. Any GM can make tear it down and fluke into winning a lottery. Lou did not provide Matthews, he lucked out with the lottery. Don't think that Lou would have made us a Stanley Cup contender any time soon. His time has passed and the Isles will soon find that out.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
I am not in agreement with everything the Lou did as GM of the Leafs and the anti facial hair thing is just stupid in my book. That said I would say that the good things that Lou accomplished as GM outweighed the bad. The team is in a good place right now and is only a player or two away from being an elite team in the NHL. Dubas has a tricky job to do this summer trying to make the right moves so that the team continues to improve while keeping the young core players.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada

You need at least 2 or 3 years before you could judge Dubas imo and it's unfair to judge him on the results of one season of a mostly Lou team. I thought Lou was great after the first year. After the summer of the 2nd or 3rd year though...not so much.

The only way I'd judge Dubas within the first year is if he starts making stupid trades or tries to overpay/re-sign FAs like Komarov or JVR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad