Is Kadri trade that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I'm starting to miss when they just locked Kadri threads, it's just the same arguments over and over again.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I really want to get a handle on if trading Kadri is likely.

IF we get Stamkos and Matthews....we will also have Bozak, Nylander and a lot of possible 4th line center guys....freeing up a great trade chip in Kadri. (Im a big fan)

The main reason Ive heard against trading is that it sends the wrong message. Basically, if I have the argument correct, he signed through some UFA years at a decent amount to play in Toronto....where he wants to be....so trading him is almost a slap in the face.

How bad is this? Do players realize this is a business and the Leafs situation has changed......or do they see it as something negative to consider when negotiating with the Leafs?

Sorry if I missed a thread already discussing this.....

I don't see him being traded as something viewed as negative by players in the league.

We have had a string of long term signings with short term stays (Clarkson, Phaneuf, Kessel). I don't think players in this league would think the Leafs unique in this regard.

The Leafs did hand out a limited NMC as well. It kicks in for the 2017-18 season. That shows some value for the player and in a world of trades and cap moves, it's decent security for the player.

His salary is also fairly low. I believe he makes about $2M in bonus each year so the salary part... is between 2-3M each season. That is a new trend that is "buy out proof" in that if he were to ever be bought out, only his salary would go down. He still makes the full $2m in bonus.

Players and agents around the league would probably look favourably on those terms and see signing with an organization that is open to them as a good thing.

I do think that Kadri and JVR are the team's best assets to secure something valuable in a trade.

Whether other teams do, well that's always been the challenge.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Nothing is set in stone. Matthews is most likely going to play center in the NHL, but then again a guy like Stamkos was also drafted as a center. Turns out he's better on the wing, which isn't to say that Matthews will follow the same path, but a guy who has a shoot-first approach to the game generally plays wing.
After Matthews, Nylander is the next best potential center. And again, his game is much better suited for the wing...until he's strong enough. Realistically speaking, both should be centers, but there's a possibility that one and/or the other fails to do so. Suddenly our depth down the middle becomes exposed. Having bozak and Kadri allows the Leafs to gauge how ready either player is, and more importantly, how effective they are at the position.
Next year could still be a transitional one, especially if we fail to find ways to get rid of the more debilitating contracts on the team. Just as the current model punishes teams for not sucking hard enough, it also punishes those that are kicked out from the first round. When it's time to compete for real, the team will be spending as much as it can on useful pieces...not LTIR contracts.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I'm starting to miss when they just locked Kadri threads, it's just the same arguments over and over again.

Yeah closing it would be good for this one too. Anyone that watched knows he is well worth his contract and likely to get more important to the team when penalty killing is added to his responsibilities next year.

The better chance he gets more talented wingers is positive for his game going forward too. Its so obvious he will have bis best seasons in the next 5 years and the same dried up old B.S from the same posters all the time.

A Wicked valued contract right up there with Jvr's contract.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
I think the Leafs should move Kadri to the wing. If/when we sign Stamkos, well have him, Matthews and Nylander at the center position. If we don't get Vesey, I would put Kadri on the 2nd line LW with Matthews and maybe Soshnikov? :)

Nah, I'd keep Kadri as C because he is amazing defensively

For me... i'm excited to potentially see Kadri/Lupul shred other teams lower lines because they're forced to have their defensive pairings against our top 2 lines

If... i stress if we get stammer...

Nylander/Marner/JVR on wing with Matthews/Stamkos at C would absolutely require defensive priority

Has a lot of chaos potential

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yeah closing it would be good for this one too. Anyone that watched knows he is well worth his contract and likely to get more important to the team when penalty killing is added to his responsibilities next year.

The better chance he gets more talented wingers is positive for his game going forward too. Its so obvious he will have bis best seasons in the next 5 years and the same dried up old B.S from the same posters all the time.

A Wicked valued contract right up there with Jvr's contract.

I also think he is worth his contract
However I think he should be used especially until Mathews and Nylander are more experienced as a shutdown 3rd line two way center so I'm more than happy him playing with Komorov and Shosh
How he is used in a few years time is up for debate.
You can use him as a shutdown 2 way guy but if Mathews is what we hope he will be a Kopitar type then you can use Kadri with more offensive wingers to feast on other teams third lines
That has a lot of value to us long term especially at his cap hit

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Nah, I'd keep Kadri as C because he is amazing defensively

For me... i'm excited to potentially see Kadri/Lupul shred other teams lower lines because they're forced to have their defensive pairings against our top 2 lines

If... i stress if we get stammer...

Nylander/Marner/JVR on wing with Matthews/Stamkos at C would absolutely require defensive priority

Has a lot of chaos potential

Lupul is not shredding anybody with his frail body.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Toronto also committed 8 years to Kessel and 7 years to Phaneuf and 7 years to Clarkson and they all lasted 1 year of their new deals.

I don't necessarily agree that term = guaranteed long-term commitment. Kadri at his price and term also makes him an attractive trade chip for cost certainty.

That was a different management group. What made Kadri desirable to the group is his willingness to learn and got a lot of sandpaper to his game with a mix of skill.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
You can always tell the EA sports GM's by the classless moves they suggest. C'mon, you don't sign a guy to that deal and then trade him before he has played a game under it, this is not a basketball sign and trade world.

I think Kadri is our #3 C for the next few years at least, until he is pushed out of the line up by younger cheaper talent and his salary no longer makes sense for where he plays. If we end up with Stamkos I think Nylander ends up on LW.

Bozak has to be moved soon, probably for D or a G.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
We have a lot of winger depth that we might have to consider trading too

Hyman, Brown, Kapenen, Leivo, Johnson, Soshnikov, Leipsic, Lindberg, Bracco, Timashov, Vesey (maybe).

Management is going to have to be really careful who they trade, this is a super difficult decision to make. I like a lot of the guys

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Another trade Kadri thread, really? :laugh:

Oh well, I guess it was to be expected. What's the over/under on number of trade Kadri threads between now and the end of the season, 7? Or is that the over/under for the number of trade Kadri threads between now and the beginning of the season? Sigh.

Ya sorry, new guy mistake. Ive been properly chastised lol. Wont happen again....today

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Ya sorry, new guy mistake. Ive been properly chastised lol. Wont happen again....today

No worries man. He is our best defensive center and drives possession. Never really had wingers he could consistently thrive with to this point.

He will be basically good.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You don't sign a guy for 6 years, then trade him less than year into the deal unless the situation is a complete disaster. Considering how much talk there is about making this market "safe" for players, and creating a certain culture, I don't see Kadri getting traded. Bozak is the one to go, which makes the most sense.

Less than a year? How about before he even plays a game under his new deal? I think that may be a Leaf 1st. I do agree with you.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Thanks everyone....got the answer to my main question....is it a slap in the face to trade him? (Thanks Pookie et al)

Seems to be a hot topic with 4 pages in a few days but if you want to lock it go ahead I'm good (not that u need my permission lol)

Im a huge Kadri fan and after reading this thread I would guess we keep him for short term but wouldn't be surprised if a trade happened in next 2 years (assuming our C depth pans out). Only reason Id consider a trade would be our depth and his value over Bozak. Great points about Kadri not bringing 'the' guy we would want in a trade so not really gonna happen.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad