Is Kadri trade that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
One of the Ducks young defenders.

I wonder where Adam Larsson is with his development? Sounds like it was in the ditch for a while, but he was a Hedman type prospect for a few years and a Lou selection. Not to mention ideal size at 6'3" skates like the wind and is a right handed shot.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I wonder where Adam Larsson is with his development? Sounds like it was in the ditch for a while, but he was a Hedman type prospect for a few years and a Lou selection. Not to mention ideal size at 6'3" skates like the wind and is a right handed shot.

He had an extremely good year last year. NJ wouldn't come close to trading larsson for kadri.

Silent Knight

45 RULES
Nov 6, 2010
Cypress Creek
Bozak, Kadri... the day they are both gone will be a very good one. Turn the page on the Kessel/Phaneuf era once and for all. I can deal with Kadri being here another year but he is perfect to use in a deal for a D man. :nod:

CDP

Nov 30, 2014
He just signed a new contract, and as of right now we haven't signed Stamkos either. Really no reason to trade him.

If anything move Bozak.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Kadri's trade value can probably only go up over the next year or two. Very reasonable contract, good term, he's likely to put up better numbers as the team overall improves.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
we will be dealing bozak. kadri is our #3C. the fact that management committed to him for 6 years is a huge indication of that.

Stamkos
Matthews
Kadri
Goat

Toronto also committed 8 years to Kessel and 7 years to Phaneuf and 7 years to Clarkson and they all lasted 1 year of their new deals.

I don't necessarily agree that term = guaranteed long-term commitment. Kadri at his price and term also makes him an attractive trade chip for cost certainty.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
Can't see Kadri going before Bozak at this point. Also everyone has Stamkos penciled into our lineup like its a complete lock at this point. Aside from him being from Toronto I don't see what the reasons are that he would want to come to Toronto over some of the other teams that are ready to contend now. Not saying he wont come here as it is possible that he would but I just don't see it as this complete lock that everyone else is. Kadri will more then likely be our #1C to start the season.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
we will be dealing bozak. kadri is our #3C. the fact that management committed to him for 6 years is a huge indication of that.

Stamkos
Matthews
Kadri
Goat

What this guy said :handclap:
If we do sign Stamkos it's likely Nylander/Marner both move back to the wing

JVR - Stamkos - Nylander
Komarov - Matthews - Marner

Wingers are interchangeable but that would be a pretty strong top 6

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Another trade Kadri thread, really? :laugh:

Oh well, I guess it was to be expected. What's the over/under on number of trade Kadri threads between now and the end of the season, 7? Or is that the over/under for the number of trade Kadri threads between now and the beginning of the season? Sigh.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
They aren't going to trade Kadri this offseason for a couple of reasons. Three actually

1. Bozak would be traded first. Even if Stamkos happens, 3 of Stamkos, Matthews, Nylander will cover the top 2 lines, 1 guy on wing. Kadri will have the 3rd line

2. If just comitted to him long term. As did Kadri commit to the Leafs long term. It's a slap in the face to have Kadri commit and then turn around and trade him away 1 month later

3. If they were thinking along the lines of maybe we might trade Kadri if we get Matthews and/or Stamkos we'll shop Kadri then they wouldn't have re-up'd Kadri so quickly. They would have held off the see what happens with the draft lottery, the draft, and Stamkos. They didn't, signing him so quickly is a sign to me that wasn't ever in the discussion.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Anyone should/can be traded for the betterment of the team.

That said I wouldn't want to trade Kadri because a team with three guys calable of being a top six centre > a team with only two. You just shift one of hem to the wing, or even role with three balanced scoring lines.

Regardless can't see Kadri being traded anytime soon - it's pretty telling that management/coaches really wanted him: they could have waited until after July 1st to do it, they could have even waited until after the draft lottery, and they still chose to ink him as soon as possible. Those saying "well, Kessel and Dion were traded a year after signing their deals" - Nonis signed those deals, was fired, and hen they were traded. Not same situation now.

Personally, I'll be somewhat surprised if Bozak is still on the team after the draft.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
1) Matthews isn't gonna be better than Kadri next year and Nylander can play right wing. Hell, Matthews could play left wing, we aren't super deep there. If you're getting Stamkos you're trying to win next year. Which I think is more possible than anyone else seems to, anyway. Nazem Kadri helps you win now.

2) It's a fairly team friendly deal. Why move it?

3) What position are you improving? The defence probably has Gardiner, Rielly, Zaitsev, Marincin, Carrick, and Corrado. I know Leaf fans are terrified of being *that* Leaf fan who overrates all their players, but that's pretty deep. All of them have pretty strong possession results throughout their whole careers, even if they're limited. Gardiner puts up basically elite possession numbers. Marincin and Corrado killed as a pairing, although I know a lot of Leaf fans weirdly think they're not really good. Even if someone gets hurt, you're probably not getting a Gardiner or Rielly replacement for Kadri, and the rest, you've got Valiev, Percy, probably Brennan, etc as depth. Then there's goaltending and you've got Bernier, who I don't think is total **** cuz of a rough year, and you could easily sign Reimer back, or trade for Freddy Andersen, who shouldn't cost you Kadri. As for the forwards, you wanna improve LW depth by trading a centre? Well, that doesn't really strike me as brilliant. All the centres can play wing if they have to. You aren't gonna sign a winger who can really competently move to centre. I'd much rather keep Kadri and maybe have to play him on the wing or start Nylander or Matthews at the wing then get rid of him for a winger, unless the Oilers have a stroke and offer us Taylor Hall.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Kadri is paid appropriately for a complimentary player. No reason to move him at this point or suggest he's bad cause he's not a 1st line guy

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Another trade Kadri thread, really? :laugh:

Oh well, I guess it was to be expected. What's the over/under on number of trade Kadri threads between now and the end of the season, 7? Or is that the over/under for the number of trade Kadri threads between now and the beginning of the season? Sigh.

Don't despair, a max of 6 more years of this.
Unless they re-sign him............

Last edited:

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
1) Matthews isn't gonna be better than Kadri next year and Nylander can play right wing. Hell, Matthews could play left wing, we aren't super deep there. If you're getting Stamkos you're trying to win next year. Which I think is more possible than anyone else seems to, anyway. Nazem Kadri helps you win now.

2) It's a fairly team friendly deal. Why move it?

3) What position are you improving? The defence probably has Gardiner, Rielly, Zaitsev, Marincin, Carrick, and Corrado. I know Leaf fans are terrified of being *that* Leaf fan who overrates all their players, but that's pretty deep. All of them have pretty strong possession results throughout their whole careers, even if they're limited. Gardiner puts up basically elite possession numbers. Marincin and Corrado killed as a pairing, although I know a lot of Leaf fans weirdly think they're not really good. Even if someone gets hurt, you're probably not getting a Gardiner or Rielly replacement for Kadri, and the rest, you've got Valiev, Percy, probably Brennan, etc as depth. Then there's goaltending and you've got Bernier, who I don't think is total **** cuz of a rough year, and you could easily sign Reimer back, or trade for Freddy Andersen, who shouldn't cost you Kadri. As for the forwards, you wanna improve LW depth by trading a centre? Well, that doesn't really strike me as brilliant. All the centres can play wing if they have to. You aren't gonna sign a winger who can really competently move to centre. I'd much rather keep Kadri and maybe have to play him on the wing or start Nylander or Matthews at the wing then get rid of him for a winger, unless the Oilers have a stroke and offer us Taylor Hall.

Generally agree, would REALLY like to get a serious upgrade in goal, something much better than Anderssen

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Everything should be based on return.

If you can improve your team by trading Kadri, you do it. If you can't, you don't.

I certainly agree with the premise that our present richness at the C position could probably help us with our deficit in G and D. If we could land a great d-man or goalie by Kadri, it'd improve our team, so you do it.

I can't really see a reason why we'd trade Kadri otherwise. You can always push a C to W, which we don't particularly have a surfeit of.

Even assuming we get Stamkos:

Nylander - Matthews - Marner
Kadri - Stamkos - JVR

The rest of our forwards are pretty low quality. So, yeah, we have 5 "centres" there; but we really only would have 6 top-6 forwards still.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yeah... He kind of did.... You list off some centers who put up point totals similar to Kadri who signed for less than 4.5m recently.

Name me one center who had as poor of a p/60 as Kadri and signed the same/similar contract.

CDP

Nov 30, 2014
Toronto also committed 8 years to Kessel and 7 years to Phaneuf and 7 years to Clarkson and they all lasted 1 year of their new deals.

I don't necessarily agree that term = guaranteed long-term commitment. Kadri at his price and term also makes him an attractive trade chip for cost certainty.

Yes, under a completely different management group.

What is so hard to understand about this :facepalm:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
3) What position are you improving? The defence probably has Gardiner, Rielly, Zaitsev, Marincin, Carrick, and Corrado. I know Leaf fans are terrified of being *that* Leaf fan who overrates all their players, but that's pretty deep.

That is not deep at all, think about this how well would those defenders play vs lets say St Louis or LA or Anaheim or Tampa Bay or NYR or Pitts or Wash? The last 3 are barely NHL defenders, the first three you got a guy in Rielly who might be a great dman one day but is not there, Gardnier who has flashes of brilliance mixed with flashes of head slapping poor play and then Zaitsev who has yet to play a NHL game and is considered part of a deep defence core? There is one guy in that entire group that could be considered a good d man, the rest have too many question marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad