Is John Chayka the best GM in the NHL?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The goal is to be a cup contending team. I'd say Yzerman is currently at the top, Lighting will be cup contenders for the foreseeable future

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
To think that Jim Benning refused to renew Chakya's contract when he was an independent analytics consultant under the Gillis regime, exclusively providing information to the Canucks.

That's right, Benning doesn't just bleed player and draft assets, he bleeds staff as well (Gilman and Crawford are two others who Benning let go and were snatched up immediately).

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Until tippett gets the fat boot, no.
Team is badly underperforming its talent.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Best to evaluate the next few years worth of moves and how he constructs this team. So far I'm impressed.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
When you win and do it year after year, bring in new talent to replace old, then yes. All he's done is buy up a bunch of dead contracts and collect prospects, nothing more. That team is nowhere near to winning anything.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I like most of his moves, but team is bad.

He's rebuilding the team really well imo. Great acquisition of prospects and picks.

However, I will call him a great GM once he gets Arizona out of the basement, and those prospects and picks start being useful, good NHL pieces on a winning team. I think he will be able to do that much at least. But until then, everyone else is correct in that he's been GM for 6 months on a basement team.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
To all those saying "tanking is easy". I disagree. Getting management to buy into the tank is part of the GM's responsibility and executing a tank without taking shortcuts is not easy. Look at the Canucks for example

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Probably because they can't afford to hire another head coach lol

I would take an analytics nerd before relics from the past like Chiarelli , Lou and Bergevin

Um... Aren't Edmonton and Montreal doing well? Anyways, I like Chayka. Your criticism of those 3 "relics" is unwarranted and has no evidence, however.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
To all those saying "tanking is easy". I disagree. Getting management to buy into the tank is part of the GM's responsibility and executing a tank without taking shortcuts is not easy. Look at the Canucks for example
Probably more speaks to Coyotes ownership not being delusional idiots compared to the Canucks ownership then GM skill.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
I mean...no?

:laugh:

Hard to judge a GM before the team has had any success. I remember early 'Tambellini is a great GM' and 'MacTavish is a great GM' posts because of the assets the Oilers were accumulating, getting the team to win afterwards is another matter entirely.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
To think that Jim Benning refused to renew Chakya's contract when he was an independent analytics consultant under the Gillis regime, exclusively providing information to the Canucks.

That's right, Benning doesn't just bleed player and draft assets, he bleeds staff as well (Gilman and Crawford are two others who Benning let go and were snatched up immediately).

This nightmare can't end soon enough.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
After all the moves Chayka made, everyone was talking about how Arizona had all this amazing young talent ready to take the next step and that Arizona would be a tough team to beat thanks to Chayka's brilliance. Instead, the team is back in tank mode, and that is also due to Chayka's brilliance. Chayka apparently just can't lose.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
For the moment, he's just the GM of a terrible team.

In his six months on the job, he's neither responsible for the sorry state of that team, nor has he done much that you can actually evaluate as far as futures are concerned. By definition, it's too soon to know what he has assembled. He's registered an Incomplete.

Tanking is not difficult. It's easy to be terrible deliberately. Turning the fruits of that suckage into solid assets takes some finesse, coupled with some lottery luck and strong draft class(es) when you do it. He's not even a pioneer with respect to tanking to turn over a mediocre-to-poor roster completely and build from the ground up. This is a model that is at least 10-15 years old now, at least on the scale at which it is now practiced. It no longer takes bravery or vision to adopt that approach. It's expected.

Time will tell as to his choices. Right now it's all speculation, as it must be when you take your fungible assets and turn them all into futures.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
You can't be the best GM in the league when your team is the 2nd worst points wise.

Even then, under 1 year is way too soon to say either way. Awful thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad