Is John Chayka the best GM in the NHL?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wanna know Who the hell is responsible for giving Tippett for 5 year extension, where he's currently one of the highest paid head coaches ($4 million per yer) in the league, with the (lack of) results he's gotten in the last 5 or 6 years?

They've been near the bottom in shots against since 2010-2011, but there's still some people who believe he actually still is a defensive mastermind and runs this great defensive system.

He shouldn't even be head coach there anymore, it's a disgrace that he is.

fiveonfive

Feb 2, 2016
I wanna know Who the hell is responsible for giving Tippett for 5 year extension, where he's currently one of the highest paid head coaches ($4 million per yer) in the league, with the (lack of) results he's gotten in the last 5 or 6 years?

They've been near the bottom in shots against since 2010-2011, but there's still some people who believe he actually still is a defensive mastermind and runs this great defensive system.

Yeah, this one is a real head scratcher :huh:

Hard to understand how that club managed to go with the risky/progressive/first adapter hiring of a young savy-analitics GM while also giving a terrible record-of-performance coach who also got a promotion to have VP power in the hockey ops. Makes no-sense to me. Only theory I have is that Tippet has ownerships ear and also happens to likes/sees good in hiring Chayka as GM. Is that what it is?

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

I think it's a personel issue and he has a huge hand in the front office now as well. Maybe because he's bascailly an assistant GM as well so he wanted more money?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Dave Tippett is friends with Gary Drummond, one of the largest owners of the Coyotes who had a lot of influence at the time that extension was offered.

It’s no coincidence that Tippett and Drummond have developed a bond. They both grew up in southern Saskatchewan — Tippett in Moosomin, Drummond on a grain farm four miles outside Penzance. Both spent their late-childhood to early-teen years in Regina, a decade apart, but in the same neighborhood.

Keeping in mind that it hasn't even started yet, so there was no harm in waiting to see how this key transition season went before offering Tippett an extension. The extension was not offered on merit, just good ol' fashioned cronyism.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That explains that.

I remember reading Tippett was also basically the actual GM in all but name now, but that may have been more speculation than anything.

I'm not saying he definitely can't be an NHL head coach anymore, but I think his time should have been over with the Coyotes for a couple years now. Either he can't coach in the NHL anymore, or it's just not working out there.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Dave Tippett is friends with Gary Drummond, one of the largest owners of the Coyotes who had a lot of influence at the time that extension was offered.

Keeping in mind that it hasn't even started yet, so there was no harm in waiting to see how this key transition season went before offering Tippett an extension. The extension was not offered on merit, just good ol' fashioned cronyism.

That cronyism works well in the oil and gas industry but it spells disaster for the Coyotes.

Stick to pulling stuff out of the ground Drummond.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
That cronyism works well in the oil and gas industry but it spells disaster for the Coyotes.

Stick to pulling stuff out of the ground Drummond.
When the owner is footing the bill he has the right to hire whomever he wants. If the fans don't like it the only recourse it to not buy tickets to games.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
When the owner is footing the bill he has the right to hire whomever he wants. If the fans don't like it the only recourse it to not buy tickets to games.

Paying Dave Tippett a lot of money to produce losses doesn't make any sense. A coach that is looking to break into the league that has extensive developmental experience would be a lot cheaper and a lot less risky.

Drummond isn't the sole owner, either. He just helped his buddy **** over Don Maloney, who had been executing a great rebuild right up until he was fired.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah, this one is a real head scratcher :huh:

Hard to understand how that club managed to go with the risky/progressive/first adapter hiring of a young savy-analitics GM while also giving a terrible record-of-performance coach who also got a promotion to have VP power in the hockey ops. Makes no-sense to me. Only theory I have is that Tippet has ownerships ear and also happens to likes/sees good in hiring Chayka as GM. Is that what it is?

Why wouldn't Tippett like this move? He gets way more power and his GM's contract is worth a small fraction of his. Meanwhile, he's working with an ownership group that treat the franchise's management like some sort of fantasy camp, and Tippett and Chayka have obviously played into their dream. Just listen to LeBlanc talking giddily about getting into the "War Room" for the draft and trade deadline and you'll understand what I mean.

Too bad the owners don't have the capital or the revenue to actually afford a competitive roster.

Imagine the assets the Coyotes could have acquired for not just absorbing cap hit, but also real salary.

Everyone praises Chayka for his brilliant trade to move up for Chychrun, but there were GMs that thought Holland made a great deal. He freed up $7.5 million in cap space that he used to sign Nielsen and ended up with Cholowski and Hronek for Chychrun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad