Is John Chayka a top-3 GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Everyone who also thinks the right way to build a team is through calculators and spreadsheets, maybe.

You mean like those players he acquired? Hmmmmmmm.
Where do you think these statistics come from? Do you think the people collecting them never even watch hockey and just sit there bashing a calculator with their head all day?

Everyone? It certainly wasn't everyone who thought his moves were great.

As for bad acquisitions- Demers, hjarmalsson and Raanta are 3 that immediately come to mind.

Also, a lot of his so-call great moves were marginal wins in a vaccuum but don't do much to help the team win. Getting Derek Stepan to be your #1 center is a bad move for example, even if people think the trade was a good deal.
And this is based on what? Raanta's one hour of ice-time as a Coyote? :laugh:

Last edited:

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Where do you think these statistics come from? Do you think the people collecting them never even watch hockey and just sit there bashing a calculator with their head all day?

There's a reason the analytics wonk isn't also the GM in 30 other NHL cities. Someone like Rutherford or Lamoriello has literally decades of experience managing teams at the NHL level- and even more insight from previous careers as an NHL goalie and NCAA coach/executive, respectively. They are able to combine that experience with the numbers to make informed decisions.

Chayka, meanwhile, has... spreadsheets. Lots and lots of spreadsheets.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
It's early but the Coyotes are looking like early favorites in the running for the tankard, making a strong ,move out of the gate as they have . A tankard would look pretty good on Chayka's resume right about now.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I kind of feel bad for Arizona. I thought their summer acquisitions would make them more competitive. But they are just leaking in goals.

Bieber fever

Mar 7, 2010
Westmount
Imo he is a top 3 despite arizona being last. He’s been a GM for only 18 month, no much you can’t do in that time frame.he also has to run organization super tigh on cash.Less money means less scouting , can’t spend to the cap , internal budget , ect....he can’t even fire the coach lol

Reactions: Gerin

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I thought very highly of him but the longer he keeps Tocchet employed, the lower he goes for me. Yes the roster isn't a playoff roster but at the same time, you don't sit at 7 pts this many games in and not blame coaching.

I saw it last year with Bednar and he was brought back for some reason, I have no idea why NHL GM's are so loyal to their coaches compared to other sports. As if it will miraculously fix itself.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Imo he is a top 3 despite arizona being last. He’s been a GM for only 18 month, no much you can’t do in that time frame.he also has to run organization super tigh on cash.Less money means less scouting , can’t spend to the cap , internal budget , ect....he can’t even fire the coach lol

I find it hard to give props to a GM who traded really valuable futures for veteran players and still is in dead last, by a lot.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What are his objectives?

Given the state of the business side of the team, they aren't competing for the Cup. If it's to accumulate assets until the business side is resolved in the very near future, that's what he is doing, although the Stepan/Raanta acquisitions flies opposite to that philosophy, as does the deal to acquire Hammer from Chicago. Dealt younger assets away for vets.

So, what is the direction of the team and the goals for the season?

You don't deal the #7 pick in the draft unless you want to get better in the upcoming season. So, something has gone wrong in the planning/execution. Which does happen. This was a team relying on young players under age 22 to lead the team in scoring, and 2 unproven goalies to carry the load. Not a recipe for success over 82 games.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
So, what is the direction of the team and the goals for the season?

You hit the nail on the head here. The goals were simple: a) attract more fans to lose less money b) attract another investor to keep them afloat. The best way to accomplish both? Win.

Unfortunately, Chayka has failed to build a winning team, and may well have cost the franchise its future in Arizona as a result. By trading away so many futures, he's also made it that much harder for he or any future GM to improve the roster organically.

There's no way anyone should be able to look at the job he's done and go "Wow, great job, amazing".

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Top 5 worst GM of all time. Everybody is saying he's the best because he's young and going about things with computers and data. Has that resulted in success? No.

Look at what happened to the Panthers last year when they built a team around advanced stats. This dude is set up to become the face of sports franchises dying across the country over advanced stats.

He's a great salesman, though. No doubt about it.

Reactions: sparxx87

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Top 5 worst GM of all time. Everybody is saying he's the best because he's young and going about things with computers and data. Has that resulted in success? No.

Look at what happened to the Panthers last year when they built a team around advanced stats. This dude is set up to become the face of sports franchises dying across the country over advanced stats.

He's a great salesman, though. No doubt about it.
The most concerning part is that so many people genuinely believe in them. Future generations learn from past and present, and it’s not good for the game to have them thinking these numbers are more than they are.

You never hope for anyone to fail, but I’ll be quite happy when the analytics community is put in their rightful place.

Reactions: Flair Hay

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I thought very highly of him but the longer he keeps Tocchet employed, the lower he goes for me. Yes the roster isn't a playoff roster but at the same time, you don't sit at 7 pts this many games in and not blame coaching.

I saw it last year with Bednar and he was brought back for some reason, I have no idea why NHL GM's are so loyal to their coaches compared to other sports. As if it will miraculously fix itself.

20 games isn't long enough to judge a coach in their first year. Not when you were getting ECHL goaltending for the first ten, and the roster has yet to have key players return/stay healthy.

I know for damn sure almost nobody here actually watches the team and is just looking at the standings, so a lot of these comments are hilarious.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I know for damn sure almost nobody here actually watches the team and is just looking at the standings, so a lot of these comments are hilarious.

Yeah who needs the standings? I bet there are some great advanced stats out there that paint the real picture- something like WBVoHaT3GM (Wins By Virtue of Having a Top 3 GM).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad