Is Jimmy Vesey our #1 Prospect?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
ODC, do you yell McIlrath in your sleep?

You are arguing with yourself at this point

not at all. cant argue with myself, I'm always right when it comes to mcilrath :laugh:

you drew the comparison with adam mcquaid and i merely agreed that he was indeed a mcquaid type player. where we disagree is what impact that player has.

a bruins poster disagreed with your assessment of mcquaid's game/role. i believe his description is more accurate.

i dont think our 1st pick at 10 should be a 3rd pair defensive guy and if mcilrath becomes adam mcquaid, then we both overpaid and under drafted.

moving on.....

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
What separated Mcilrath from going from 7D to 2D on the first pair was the inability of the team to rely on him in one-on-one situations against speedsters. How good he becomes at that will determine if he'll spend his career making $600/yr as a garbage journeyman or $6/yr as a fan favorite.

That said, he was 23 the whole last season, so there's still time to get better, he just needs to focus hard on it. It's more than a month before the first preseason game, over 1.5 months before the regular season. He needs to find a speedy forward and practice one-on-one for hours, preferably under the gaze of a coach or a former NHL defenseman, but if not, at least do that alone. Eventually it becomes muscle memory when facing speedy forwards.

Someone should also point out to Dylan that a year from now he'll be 25 with 2 years in the NHL, so it will be more or less a WYSIWYG situation, and even if he somehow improves after that, it will be very hard to change the coaches thinking who'll assign his good play to being hot, rather than permanently better.

This is the last season when he can develop a lot and people still view him as something new. By next season, he needs to be established as a really good NHLer who just has to work out minor quirks in his game.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Agree with that for the most part. He's gotta establish himself as a regular this year or it's not going to happen in NY

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
and there's your comparable to mcilrath. exactly. 3rd pair guy who kills penalties.

mcquaid is a dependable, physical defensive dman who plays a simple game.

sound familiar ? everything written about mcilrath sounds like the same things written about adam mcquaid.

mcquaid taken 2nd round in 2005 55th overall, sounds about right

mcilrath taken 1st round in 2010 10th overall. not so much.

That last point has always been something I've considered.

I thought and still think that McIlrath plays in the NHL.

I wondered and still wonder if it will ever be enough to justify his draft position to some fans.

It's funny that more than 6 years later, not much has really changed from my perspective.

DJyellow

Sponsor
May 9, 2002
Laval
Where does Halverson rank in your prospect list (ballpark)? What are his chances of making the NHL in the next 2 years?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Where does Halverson rank in your prospect list (ballpark)? What are his chances of making the NHL in the next 2 years?

For a cup of coffee in a bad situation, maybe.
Likely not full time AHL starter this year, behind Hellberg, Skapski.
Hopeful goal for Halvy is that by fall '18 he's where Hellberg is now, established AHL #1 and third on depth chart. He's real young, no rush ...

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

He's probably in the 8-10 range by most.

Zero chance to make the NHL in the next 2 years though unless all our goalies get injured. A better timeline for him to make the NHL as a backup would be his 3rd pro year IMO. We also have another goalie prospect who is higher than him in our rankings..

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
its a prospect discussion.

we are discussing the ranking of our prospects.

if skjei is a prospect then isn't mcilrath as well ?

TSN SCOUTING REPORT

Assets Is as tough as they come from the back end; he can really throw'em. Has shutdown qualities and is at his best when he plays it simple and safe along the blueline.

Flaws Isn't a natural point producer from the blueline. Can lose his cool at times, and his overall mobility could use improvement. Injuries can also be a factor here.
Career potential Physical depth defenseman with a little upside.

hockeys future report

Future
McIlrath spent the 2015-16 season with the New York Rangers, seeing lower pairing minutes when in the lineup and appearing in 34 of 72 games in his first NHL season. Envisioned as a Scott Stevens-type shutdown defenseman when he was selected with the 10th overall pick in the 2010 NHL Draft, McIlrath is a liability at times against skilled, mobile forwards. He appears headed towards a career as more of physical intimidating third-pairing defenseman.

I was unaware this was a McIlrath thread. Can you stop going off topic and trashing McIlrath in every single thread? He's no Lisin.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

He's moved up on my list after his OHL playoff run. Playing behind a stacked team the year before, he was molested by Connor McDavid in a 2nd round.

Looked like he was a byproduct of the powerhouse team and not himself as a catalyst.

Last year in the OHL playoffs, he looked a lot like Mike Smith Prime.

Peterborough must have a good goalie coach because they're pushing out some good players.

Matt Murray just came out of there.

Halverson's size and athleticism isn't very common for the position. Add in that he can really really handle the puck well, then you've got an intriguing prospect that needs to prove it at the next level.

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
All prospect rankings from neutral sources had him above all the Ranger prospects, so at this point, he should be seen as #1.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
I was very impressed by Brady Skjei, I thought he was actually the Rangers best dman next to Yandle in the playoffs.

I'll admit I didn't know too much about Pavel Buchnevich until reading this thread, but I like what I see here,

Hard to pick between him & Vesey,

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
All prospect rankings from neutral sources had him above all the Ranger prospects, so at this point, he should be seen as #1.
He has the make up to fit in as a top line winger. Think of him as JVR-like, but is a bit more consistent using his body but lesser in skill.

I think he'll fit into the top six quite well especially with Zibanejad.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Jimmy Vesey get a lot of attention and hype recently - maybe he is among the top #5 talents here in NY, and Vesey was 66th overall drafted in 2012.
I hope he can surprise us positive, but a /random tweet from Crosby or Kane sounds like Tv/media hype.. ;)
It`s a huge difference playing in NHL compare to Haward University hockey - I`m surprised to be honest if Vesey will get a NHL game this year with our current roster. :)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad