buch
shesty
vesey
kovacs
day

skjei isnt a prospect anymore

that order

buch has the highest boom factor

shesty has a #1 skillset and is the heir apparent to hank.

vesey has 25-30 goal upside and shows the ability to know how to score.

day has unlimited upside. also the biggest bust factor but could be, with the skating and size, a top 4 fixture down the road. wayyyy more talent compared to any other d prospect in the pipeline.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
#3. I really liked what I saw from Skjei last season. Buchnevich and his potential will trump just about anything from Skjei and Vesey at this point. Buch has the potential to be a 30g scorer one day. Vesey's upside is a 20/25 guy.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Skjei is not a prospect? Ok, he's played a handful of games but because he's assumed to make top 6 on d so he's not a prospect anymore? Objectively We have no idea if he's a future top 2 dman or just a John Moore. Maybe Buch isn't a prospect either since he's being penciled into the top 9?

I'd also vote
Buch, game breaker potential
Skjei, top 3 steady dman
Vesey, clutch solid 2 way forward

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i dunno, i'll be in the 100% minority, but i felt like McIlrath looked better than Skjei literally all season long...but im sure people will tear into me for having this opinion...and if McIlrath is pretty much the worst defenseman in the history of defenseman according to many people here...im not sure where that puts Skjei?

Granted, Skjei is younger and less experienced...i just felt like i didnt see much from him in terms of upper end ability..he looked like a solid 3rd pairing defenseman.

nothing wrong with that at all

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
i dunno, i'll be in the 100% minority, but i felt like McIlrath looked better than Skjei literally all season long...but im sure people will tear into me for having this opinion...and if McIlrath is pretty much the worst defenseman in the history of defenseman according to many people here...im not sure where that puts Skjei?

Granted, Skjei is younger and less experienced...i just felt like i didnt see much from him in terms of upper end ability..he looked like a solid 3rd pairing defenseman.

nothing wrong with that at all
I actually agree, McIlrath was very steady defensively until later in the season when he got off his game, being sat for weeks at a time and playing with Boyle didn't help him either. Yandle was a perfect partner for him but since he's not around he needs to step it up regardless of partner because he clearly has less of a leash than othe guys.

Skjei looked great skating the puck out of the zone and joining rushes, and that seems to be more memorable to some, but he was a clear rookie in his own end making mistakes, losing the puck etc. He looked over his head in the d the end, hesitant and not completely confident, his raw skating talent was obvious though.

Skjei and McIlrath might make a decent paring one day

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
I actually agree, McIlrath was very steady defensively until later in the season when he got off his game, being sat for weeks at a time and playing with Boyle didn't help him either. Yandle was a perfect partner for him but since he's not around he needs to step it up regardless of partner because he clearly has less of a leash than othe guys.

Skjei looked great skating the puck out of the zone and joining rushes, and that seems to be more memorable to some, but he was a clear rookie in his own end making mistakes, losing the puck etc. He looked over his head in the d the end, hesitant and not completely confident, his raw skating talent was obvious though.

Skjei and McIlrath might make a decent paring one day

Skjei looked great the first game AV gave him top 4 minutes. After that he played the offside and looked terrible. That's not a coincidence in this defense. The shame is AV fell into a great 2nd pair of Yandle/McI but wouldn't play it due to Girardi and Boyle. The two of them could be a Leetch/Beuk lite/new age combo but who knows if AV will give them the chance.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
buch
shesty
vesey
kovacs
day

that order

day has unlimited upside. also the biggest bust factor but could be, with the skating and size, a top 4 fixture down the road. wayyyy more talent compared to any other d prospect in the pipeline.

On what planet is a guy that has played 7 NHL games not a prospect . . . ?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The way he is being described, Vesey sounds like Adam Graves-ish. That'd be terrific.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
buch
shesty
vesey
kovacs
day

that order

Huh???

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
On what planet is a guy that has played 7 NHL games not a prospect . . . ?

hes got a top 6 job to lose. i dont include him on my list as imo, hes a sure fire nhl player right now so he comes off my "prospect" list.

he played very well in the pitts playoff series- on the right side too and looked comfortable and confident. to me, he was one of the bright spots in that otherwise awful 5 game effort.

in addition, he was added to the usa roster for the worlds and by all accounts- while playing the right side again, was outstanding. sounds like a guy whos graduated from prospect status to me.

neither mcilrath nor skjei should be prospects per say. both have played in the nhl and both will probably play this season.

i say probably because with mcilrath, we dont know really. he played a total of 9 minutes in last years playoffs. 1 game. av doesnt trust him.

meanwhile skjei played 5 games and averaged 19 non sheltered, productive minutes.

either way, to me, a prospect is a player who has not yet made it to the nhl full time or one who doesnt have a full time job waiting for him this season like brady skjei.

if i redo my list adding both of these non prospects its like this.

buch
shesty
skjei
vesey
kovacs
day
mcilrath

again, based upon skill and potential to contribute.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
imo, hes graduated from prospect to nhl player. as has mcilrath

the rest of the list have not.

semantics and context.

my initial list was those players who havent graduated.

It isn't semantics. If he gets beat out in camp by someone else and goes down to the AHL, what is he? I'll give you a hint, the answer is a prospect.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
It isn't semantics. If he gets beat out in camp by someone else and goes down to the AHL, what is he? I'll give you a hint, the answer is a prospect.

so then is mcilrath a prospect ? he would have been in hartford all of last season had he been able to clear waivers.

skjei, in all likelyhood, right now, is as good as a few of the roster dman from last season and certainly any of the journeymen we added including holden. the odds of what you describe happening are slim and none. skjei will play top minute this season.

and brady is head and shoulders more of a complete player, right now today, vs dylan mcilrath.

again, semantics.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I think the best way to determine a prospect is what the NHL does to determine eligibility for the Calder. To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played any more than 25 regular season games previously in any single season, nor have played in more than six regular season games in each of two separate preceding seasons in any major professional league.

Using this standard, Skjei is still a prospect.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
hes got a top 6 job to lose. i dont include him on my list as imo, hes a sure fire nhl player right now so he comes off my "prospect" list.

he played very well in the pitts playoff series- on the right side too and looked comfortable and confident. to me, he was one of the bright spots in that otherwise awful 5 game effort.

in addition, he was added to the usa roster for the worlds and by all accounts- while playing the right side again, was outstanding. sounds like a guy whos graduated from prospect status to me.

neither mcilrath nor skjei should be prospects per say. both have played in the nhl and both will probably play this season.

i say probably because with mcilrath, we dont know really. he played a total of 9 minutes in last years playoffs. 1 game. av doesnt trust him.

meanwhile skjei played 5 games and averaged 19 non sheltered, productive minutes.

either way, to me, a prospect is a player who has not yet made it to the nhl full time or one who doesnt have a full time job waiting for him this season like brady skjei.

buch
shesty
skjei
vesey
kovacs
day
mcilrath

Graves?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Skjei #1 but I know there is much love for Buch on this board. Hope he lives up to at least 75 percent of the expectations we have for him.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

buch
shesty
skjei
vesey
kovacs
day
mcilrath

Everything you wrote is silly. Skjei is still a prospect. Period.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

The Rangers just sent away a midround pick for a third pair LD. If they were truly confident in Skjei being able to play 15+ minutes for 82 games, they wouldn't have wasted the pick and signed a random #7. There's nothing that says Skjei beats out Holden. It's possible, but it's false to suggest it's guaranteed.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
The Rangers just sent away a midround pick for a third pair LD. If they were truly confident in Skjei being able to play 15+ minutes for 82 games, they wouldn't have wasted the pick and signed a random #7. There's nothing that says Skjei beats out Holden. It's possible, but it's false to suggest it's guaranteed.

on the contrary, the odds that holden is here as a hedge for any number of players exists as well.

staal being here or not ?

mcilrath not good enough to be a regular or even a reliable 7th man.

skjei for the reason you mentioned but given his resume and his playing last seasons final 5 game as he did and being chosen for the worlds. nah.

also the possibility of a move or two neccesitating the need for a proven nhl minutes eater like josh holden.

in fact, the scenario you chose is probably the least likely reason he's here.

but ok.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I have him as third, behind Buch and Skjei.

I think he's definitely capable of 20 goals and 40 points. Not quite sure I see him in the 25 goal, 50 point grouping. Will have to see how things go.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Well if that's the case then Vesey is absolutely our #1 prospect, because you've been banging the "Buchnevich is NHL ready" drum all season long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad