Speculation: Is Jack Edwards ok?!

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
yeah this is where I'm at. And I defended him for years after others here started to turn on him. and I do believe he's a great guy. Years ago we even briefly DM'd on twitter about some Bruins stuff and he was very cool and approachable. It helps personally that it seems like our political and world views align.

But as a play by play guy he seems totally cooked and practically speaking, if I were running NESN there's no way I'd go into next season with him in the booth again. I truly wish him the best, but I find his current performance to be really distracting and detrimental to the product.

I was never a "they should have kept Goucher" guy, but after catching the Vegas feed recently, it was stunning how much better Goucher and Hnidy's broadcast was vs Jack & Brick (the technical & video presentation was night & day better as well but that's another topic).
Jack has been awesome as the Bs announcer. I like a PBP guy who keeps up with the action well, tries to pronounce player names correctly (a few big-time announcers are horrible at that), and adds a little flavor to the mix. Jack has provided all of that. Even has been good at trolling other fan bases on occasion.

I agree with you that this needs to be Jack's last season as the Bruins PBP guy. I hate saying that because he really does seem like a wonderful human being who has done such a great job on the NESN broadcasts. His fastball has lost some speed. Some games he seems more sharp than other games. It's not good when you have a long thread on the team message board discussing if you have a medical condition underlying decreased performance in the booth.

It's concerning when he says things that make no sense. It's awkward for Brick to politely chuckle a little in response to some of Jack's nonsensical statements. It's sad to listen to slurred speech and butchered names, when in the past Jack has been so on-point. The execs at NESN surely are noticing all of this stuff as well. I will be surprised if Jack is back next year as the PBP announcer for the Bs.

aguineapig

Jack calls the game the same way I watch it. With the excitement of a young kid and an undying passion and loyalty to the Black and Gold. Some may not care for it, I care not for some. But it shows more and more with each passing game that the spirit and fire are still willing but the ability to deliver it verbally is passing by. I was struck the other night in Vegas how he called Nic Roy , Andre on more than one occasion. His long term memory seems fine, it's the in the moment processing that seems strained. We've spent an awful lot of time together without ever have spoken. As such I will always consider him as a friend as much as an announcer. Best wishes no matter what my friend.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
i was watching a game they had on nesn plus the other day. think it was from 2010??
its amazing how different jack sounded. he was zippin words out like jaffe.
speaking of jaffe. can you imagine him and jack having a conversation?? lol.
complete opposite.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Jack Edwards Bingo 2022-23 edition:

Slurring player namesDown to Sophia Yyyyyurkstovich45 second rants about opposing players' weight
Forgets what he's saying halfway through saying itView attachment 621534MAHTHA THE BAHN'S ON FIAH
The coin that won't be tossedChinese MustardMisses a goal because he's still in the middle of a sentence
Tumbling muffin and serpentine route are musts.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
There’s a game from 2011 on and it’s night and day.

Not sure if you’d notice similar differences if you went back and listened to 70s Fred Cusick vs 90s Fred.

Sucks getting older.
I was there for most of it and Fred had a more deliberate, attentive style to say the least, but he was good for transposing names from the past with names from the present. For example, Bourque became Orr on a few occasions. Like Jack, his processing of the game and speech slowed down.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was there for most of it and Fred had a more deliberate, attentive style to say the least, but he was good for transposing names from the past with names from the present. For example, Bourque became Orr on a few occasions. Like Jack, his processing of the game and speech slowed down.
Fred was 69 when he called this game in 1988. Outside of the Cup win in 1970, this is the game he cherished the most.

He did not get to call the 1972 Cup winner as it was on CBS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad