Is it time to fire Kenny?

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
How else would you define not being bad enough (or bold enough) to acquire elite pieces and striving to make the playoffs when you don't really have the personnel to pull it off?

I call it the NHL poverty trap. It's what we're in right now.

And for the record, I don't want KH moved upstairs, casting his lengthy shadows over operations. I want him comfortably retired with a nice gig on Sportsnet.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Holland needs to move upstairs into an advisor role. If he is unwilling to do so I am thankful for all he has done but the time is here to move in a different direction and we will not re-up his contact after this season should be the move.

Fired is the wrong term, but yes his future after this year with the Wings needs to be in a different role it is that simple at this point.

He is top 10 GM all-time we owe him a lot of thanks, but the run is over with him in that role and we need to look to the future there starting right now and have an idea of what we want to do in early April after next season.

Come on Paul Fenton!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I call it the NHL poverty trap. It's what we're in right now.

And for the record, I don't want KH moved upstairs, casting his lengthy shadows over operations. I want him comfortably retired with a nice gig on Sportsnet.

The GM has final say he would understand that with Devellano all these years. I don't think he needs to leave entirely, but if he is unwilling to transition to another role than the time has come to say goodbye.

WingNut

Jun 21, 2016
The GM has final say he would understand that with Devellano all these years. I don't think he needs to leave entirely, but if he is unwilling to transition to another role than the time has come to say goodbye.

That is probably the better way to say it. Either way he needs to move on and let someone else decide which players to bring in.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
IMO it is past the time but after this weekend we really need a new direction. He is out of touch and really doesnt have the ability to make tough decisions in today's cap era. His loyalty is his downfall and really name the last good contract he signed?
Green? Vanek? And most of his RFA deals are very good. I'd also say going short-term for Mrazek looks like a genius move right now, remember how many thought he should go long-term and lock him up?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's only purgatory if they fail at building a consistently playoff-worthy team. If they succeed at it, they're doing something around half the NHL and fans of every other pro sports team in the state would envy.

"Purgatory". Goodness.
We must be we watching different teams then. I haven't seen a Detroit roster that played like they deserved to be in the playoffs for 2-3 years now.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
It's past time. But they won't do it. Ever. They are just going to keep operating under the illusion that the success the Wings had in the now long-ago past is to Holland's credit, when, if he ever did anything positive for the team, it was by pure happy accident.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's past time. But they won't do it. Ever. They are just going to keep operating under the illusion that the success the Wings had in the now long-ago past is to Holland's credit, when, if he ever did anything positive for the team, it was by pure happy accident.
Let's not rewrite history. Holland most definitely played a role in multiple championships.

But he's also a dinosaur stuck in his ways (or in ownership's ways, but the result is the same).

I hope the novelty of LCA wears off fast, and there are enough empty houses to force some real change. And the notion that a good replacement has to be there on a silver platter is ridiculous. You do your homework, whether guys are under contract or not, and build your list, so you're prepared to strike when you can. But not an internal guy, and probably not Yzerman, either. This franchise needs a clean break for a smart forward thinker who can use all avenues to rebuild a roster.

If it came to such an extreme, where you had your guy, but had to wait out the final year of his existing deal, I'd even rather have some doofus as an interim GM for a year, than let Grandpa Holland keep damaging things.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
If the team's recent drafts had panned out, this won't even be an issue.

But their recent drafts have been frankly awful, yeah, some of them do well in GR, or in spurts, but so many wasted 1st/2nd/3rd round picks on hot garbage.

Smith, McCollum, Kindl, Emmerton, Ferraro, Sheahan, Jurco, Frk, XO, have all been traded away, waived, or hanging on by a thread.

Even Hakan isn't striking the fire anymore.

They're loaded on character guys, but no one can finish.

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan
The red wings are like the chick who was hot in high school 20 years ago. She's still cocky because guys have told her how beautiful she is. Problem is she really isn't all that attractive anymore because beauty fades.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
Remember if the goal of the franchise is exclusively about making money and not the product then they best be careful, for if the product is bad and is so on purpose just to make rhe owner more money with no clear direction to improve it, the fans will stop showing up.

This isn't rich, 6 million people population city of toronto here in Detroit.

Fans show up for teams at the top, teams that are young, exciting and up and coming and teams that have decided to hit rock button and rebuild(embrace the rank mentality)

They dont and won't show up for those in between

I actually looked up our average home attendance and I found something funny. Do you know which season we had the lowest at since 1986-1987 (18 755)? Could you guess?

Answer: it's 2007-2008 (18 870). You know, a year when we were good enough to win the cup. :)

For reference, the last five seasons we've had an average of full capacity (20 066/20 027 since full cap changed). As it happens, that's higher than Toronto's average.

Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't see the numbers supporting your assumption. Us trying to just barely squeak into the playoffs has done nothing to lower our numbers so far.

Maybe the owners will change course if at some point it does.

Last edited:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
1. The biggest mistake it is not to keep Yzerman with organization .
2. We just lost the best coach in the world. Zetterberg the only one who deserved to be saved from draft
3. I like to see Green get traded, he didn't step up when Kronwall got injured .
4 It is nothing wrong if we have team like Boston have.
5 Now you know that Smith and Quincy weren't problem for this team , just opposite .
6. The most important that you cannot teach character and size , everything else is.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Deserved to be fired years ago. I honestly believe he simply has no idea what he's doing. Did you see him interviewed in the draft? He looked like he was speaking about a player he just heard about for the first time.....just absolutely lost. I think he's just riding the ship and then plans to step down anyway when his contract is up.

Still won't get the sour taste out of my mouth for his countless braindead moves:

- Quincy on waivers then trading a 1st for him
- Keeping Franzen over Hossa
- Jarnkrok AND Eaves AND a pick for freaking Legwand
- Resigning Cleary 50 times
- Signing awful players to long term deals over and over again, making them untradeable (Abs, Franzen, Ericcsson, Weiss, Helm)
- Doing absolutely NOTHING to prep for departure of Lidstrom
- And worst of all, when he's not doing deals, he's sitting back most of the time, standing pat, kicking tires and insisting "the team is good".

Then we finally get a top pick and he finds a way to ***** that up to. There's just no silver lining with this team whatsoever. Nothing. We have a new arena to lose in, thats it.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No need to be fired.

But can discuss about not making an extension after 2017-18, when his current contract expires.

Just show me a better guy who is free to be hired.

Are people wanting him to get fired because of draft picks, which Tyler Wright did pick for us?

Or, when we lost an AHL player to Vegas?

Devasting things.

I know I still haven't gotten over losing that 2 time Conn Smythe winner and Art Ross winner Thomeszz Knowsekkk, did I spell it right, hope so! Plus the nerve they have of drafting players from junior leagues. The scouts of HFBoards Hockey clearly had Vilardi rated before 9 and Rasmussen must go in round 27.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I for one, will be glad when we are winning again, and all these "true" Wings fans will all be here still!

Yes it is ok to whine, but the Red Wings section may as well be called, Cry me a River section.

- Coyotes, Ducks, Sabres, Flames, Hurricanes, Blue Jackets, Stars, Oilers, Panthers, Wild, Canadiens, Devils, Islanders, Rangers, Senators, Flyers, Sharks, Blues, Leafs, Lightning, Canucks, Capitals, and Jets.

All those teams, have less cups, and longer since they last won, or ever won, than us. Yeah, I would definitely trade with any of them!

For the record, I don't like being at the bottom either, but all the *****ing and moaning, in a section with so called fans is both embarrassing and annoying. 9 years since a cup is not that long, or since being truly competitive for what 6 of those years, yeah we have had such an arduous task as Wings fans.

Too bad we don't have 4 cups in 21 years, that we got to enjoy.

You know, because all those other teams are going to draft a Crosby/Malkin, or Toews/Kane in short succession, and win 3 cups in 6 or 7 years, cause that is the norm and all.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I for one, will be glad when we are winning again, and all these "true" Wings fans will all be here still!

Yes it is ok to whine, but the Red Wings section may as well be called, Cry me a River section.

- Coyotes, Ducks, Sabres, Flames, Hurricanes, Blue Jackets, Stars, Oilers, Panthers, Wild, Canadiens, Devils, Islanders, Rangers, Senators, Flyers, Sharks, Blues, Leafs, Lightning, Canucks, Capitals, and Jets.

All those teams, have less cups, and longer since they last won, or ever won, than us. Yeah, I would definitely trade with any of them!

For the record, I don't like being at the bottom either, but all the *****ing and moaning, in a section with so called fans is both embarrassing and annoying. 9 years since a cup is not that long, or since being truly competitive for what 6 of those years, yeah we have had such an arduous task as Wings fans.

You know, because all those other teams are going to draft a Crosby/Malkin, or Toews/Kane in short succession, and win 3 cups in 6 or 7 years, cause that is the norm and all.

Abject Holland hate not found. Invalid opinion :sarcasm:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I actually looked up our average home attendance and I found something funny. Do you know which season we had the lowest at since 1986-1987 (18 755)? Could you guess?

Answer: it's 2007-2008 (18 870). You know, a year when we were good enough to win the cup. :)

For reference, the last five seasons we've had an average of full capacity (20 066/20 027 since full cap changed). As it happens, that's higher than Toronto's average.

Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't see the numbers supporting your assumption. Us trying to just barely squeak into the playoffs has done nothing to lower our numbers so far.

Maybe the owners will change course if at some point it does.

while I am aware that we no longer as an organization talk about "butts in the seats" which is reflected by the # of people who pass through the front door to determine our "sell outs." WE only care about tickets sold and I am not saying thats wrong as all, but its not exactly a great way to predict fan approval

I have been going to JLA for the better part of the last 25 years and I have noticed a significant drop in attendance as can any casual fan watching on TV

that will catch up to them without a doubt, because as the product on the ice drops and the casual fans interest sways, those corporations will buy less overall and hurt the bottom line

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Deserved to be fired years ago. I honestly believe he simply has no idea what he's doing. Did you see him interviewed in the draft? He looked like he was speaking about a player he just heard about for the first time.....just absolutely lost. I think he's just riding the ship and then plans to step down anyway when his contract is up.

Still won't get the sour taste out of my mouth for his countless braindead moves:

- Quincy on waivers then trading a 1st for him
- Keeping Franzen over Hossa
- Jarnkrok AND Eaves AND a pick for freaking Legwand
- Resigning Cleary 50 times
- Signing awful players to long term deals over and over again, making them untradeable (Abs, Franzen, Ericcsson, Weiss, Helm)
- Doing absolutely NOTHING to prep for departure of Lidstrom
- And worst of all, when he's not doing deals, he's sitting back most of the time, standing pat, kicking tires and insisting "the team is good".

Then we finally get a top pick and he finds a way to ***** that up to. There's just no silver lining with this team whatsoever. Nothing. We have a new arena to lose in, thats it.

Link?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

I am confused here man

are you saying fans are whining and moaning and complaining about winning those cups and our previous success, or, the direction we're headed in now?

I am not sure if they're one in the same

I personally have yet to read anyone post that they wish we had never won anything

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I am confused here man

are you saying fans are whining and moaning and complaining about winning those cups and our previous success, or, the direction we're headed in now?

I am not sure if they're one in the same

I personally have yet to read anyone post that they wish we had never won anything

No, I am saying that people are complaining about our wins, just that so much complaining and we have had it better than over 75% of the league. In a couple of years, we will lose some of these contracts holding us down, and then coupled with some new picks, hopefully turning out for us, and we will be right back in the mix. We have seen crappy, boring hockey and it is terrible, but we haven't been so bad, for so long, that we need to start hating on our team so much.

I think most Wings fans, knew, we were going to go through rough times, when Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg, either aged or retired, so it shouldn't be such a devastating surprise. You can't jsut replace those kind of guys through FA or even drafting, except if you get lucky. Well we haven't been lucky in replacing them, so we struggle for now, it sucks yes, but not every comment from nearly 90% of our board, needs to be a Sky is Falling type of response.

Pittsburgh and Chicago will once again be where we are, as their stars fade to retirement, you can almost count on it.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
No, I am saying that people are complaining about our wins, just that so much complaining and we have had it better than over 75% of the league. In a couple of years, we will lose some of these contracts holding us down, and then coupled with some new picks, hopefully turning out for us, and we will be right back in the mix. We have seen crappy, boring hockey and it is terrible, but we haven't been so bad, for so long, that we need to start hating on our team so much.

I think most Wings fans, knew, we were going to go through rough times, when Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg, either aged or retired, so it shouldn't be such a devastating surprise. You can't jsut replace those kind of guys through FA or even drafting, except if you get lucky. Well we haven't been lucky in replacing them, so we struggle for now, it sucks yes, but not every comment from nearly 90% of our board, needs to be a Sky is Falling type of response.

Pittsburgh and Chicago will once again be where we are, as their stars fade to retirement, you can almost count on it.

I 100% agree

but i will say I expect passionate fans of any team to have strong opinions about the moves and direction of their team, regardless of whether they have 25 straight playoff appearances, 24 stanley cups, are the centre of the hockey universe or, have never won a cup ever

I think what drives alot of people to complain is they feel their loyalty is taken for granted by holland and co, either that, or the franchise thinks the fans are clueless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad