Is it time to fire Kenny?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
It's absolutely time to fire him. Bring in an entirely new management team. Only guy I really want to keep is Hakan. Obviously some continuity is necessary but I think our next GM and heads of professional and amateur scouting need to come from outside the organization. Hopefully we could get someone like Dubas from Toronto. Or whoever the masterminds behind Carolina's and Nashville's defense drafting are. We need someone who embraces statistics instead of ignoring them. Chayka seems to be doing a great job in Arizona and I want a GM that runs my team that way.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Another one of these threads. Isn't there already one?

With anger, displeasure and frustration comes the online airing of grievances only the offending party does not see or hear.

I do, however, agree with the o.p. that Kenny is past his expiration date. He worked his magic in a bygone era and was able to ride the coattails for awhile but his skills as a GM did not adjust to the cap era. I'm of the mindset that if he had any honor or true love for the franchise he would resign.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No need to be fired.

But can discuss about not making an extension after 2017-18, when his current contract expires.

Just show me a better guy who is free to be hired.

Are people wanting him to get fired because of draft picks, which Tyler Wright did pick for us?

Or, when we lost an AHL player to Vegas?

Devasting things.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Yes

But the problem lies deeper than the GM alone.

Also, it won't happen.

This. When the new arena announced the name "Little Caesars Arena", it became more obvious the true end goal of ownership. Sad to see Mr. I slowly dwindle away and see the franchise move to emphasizing $$ / branding over good hockey.

The ilitches' turned the franchise into a bobble-head toy. People can't look that deep and can only see what's on the surface. Ken Holland is paid to do a job and I'm sure he loves this franchise more than most of the posters here, but at the end of the day, he has to answer to the folks signing his pay checks. But whoever takes his spot is going to commercialize the franchise even more. Careful what you wish for.

Also, I am sure Chris is lobbying the NHL right now to allow him exclusive rights to put Little Caesar patches on all NHL jerseys to look like European hockey uniforms.

This message was brought to you by "Little Caesars Pizza"

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Normally you fire a GM that is arguably the worst GM in the league. Unfortunately it won't happen.

Just gotta let him dig himself even further into his hole before ownership finally realizes just how utterly clueless he is. 3-4 years from now the Wings still won't be a playoff team so hopefully he is gone by then.

lol at blaming ownership for Kenny handing out contracts to garbage like Justin Abdelkader, Ericsson and Helm.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
No need to be fired.

But can discuss about not making an extension after 2017-18, when his current contract expires.

Are people wanting him to get fired because of draft picks, which Tyler Wright did pick for us?

Devasting things.
Do you really believe the unhappiness with Holland is solely a result of this draft?

Also you don't think Holland is responsible for draft picks or the personnel who advise him about those picks?

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
No need to be fired.

Devasting things.

Yeah the 2017 draft is why Ken Holland should be fired. Prior to that, nobody had any issues with Holland and he was going a great job.

Maybe Holland has been acting incompetent the past six years to artificially lower his salary for his next contract.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
No need to be fired.

Devasting things.

Everything about the last 5 years.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah the 2017 draft is why Ken Holland should be fired. Prior to that, nobody had any issues with Holland and he was going a great job.

Maybe Holland has been acting incompetent the past six years to artificially lower his salary for his next contract.

Taking one for the team. I'm on the keep holland train now

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
This. When the new arena announced the name "Little Caesars Arena", it became more obvious the true end goal of ownership. Sad to see Mr. I slowly dwindle away and see the franchise move to emphasizing $$ / branding over good hockey.

The ilitches' turned the franchise into a bobble-head toy. People can't look that deep and can only see what's on the surface. Ken Holland is paid to do a job and I'm sure he loves this franchise more than most of the posters here, but at the end of the day, he has to answer to the folks signing his pay checks. But whoever takes his spot is going to commercialize the franchise even more. Careful what you wish for.

Also, I am sure Chris is lobbying the NHL right now to allow him exclusive rights to put Little Caesar patches on all NHL jerseys to look like European hockey uniforms.

This message was brought to you by "Little Caesars Pizza"

The name is dumb but this take is worse.

Without Little Caesars there is no Mike Illitch bringing us four Cups. Yes it is a dumb name but it is a tribute to the business that brought the man the team.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
No need to be fired.

Devasting things.

Yzerman only has a year left on his contract too.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
And Ken needs to go but the optics of a new owner firing a respected GM who has only missed the playoffs once are not good. I think it would actually hurt us in searching for a replacement.

Ideally we let Ken tank the season and then decide not to renew his deal as GM. Give him a token title and let him leave gracefully.

Unfortunately I think once Ken goes we are just going to promote within.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Another one of these threads. Isn't there already one?

Isn't this the only kind of thread?

Before they were at least split up between the equally foolish fire Holland and fire Babcock threads.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
Firing Holland isn't going to make us stop trying to squeak into the playoffs because that's what ownership is telling him to do. Until that changes, switching GMs is just switching scapegoats.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He won't ever get outright fired, nor probably should he ever be.

I do think it's time he goes upstairs, but only if an external candidate is brought in. Otherwise it will be the same group think circle-jerk we have going on now with one the guys he has been grooming for 5-10 years.

If you're not going to aggressively re-build (go all out for top 5 picks) then you need to aggressively draft (boom or bust guys throughout). If this is any indication of how this re-build is going to go, we are looking at very likely purgatory for however long we let these guys run things. The question is how long we want to let that go on for.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Firing Holland isn't going to make us stop trying to squeak into the playoffs because that's what ownership is telling him to do. Until that changes, switching GMs is just switching scapegoats.

That's the point.

Change the ownership, if you want different approach.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Remember if the goal of the franchise is exclusively about making money and not the product then they best be careful, for if the product is bad and is so on purpose just to make rhe owner more money with no clear direction to improve it, the fans will stop showing up.

This isn't rich, 6 million people population city of toronto here in Detroit.

Fans show up for teams at the top, teams that are young, exciting and up and coming and teams that have decided to hit rock button and rebuild(embrace the rank mentality)

They dont and won't show up for those in between

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
If this is any indication of how this re-build is going to go, we are looking at very likely purgatory for however long we let these guys run things. The question is how long we want to let that go on for.

A) "We let" "We want". Come on. People wore bags over their heads in the Silverdome and nothing's changed yet.

B) It's only purgatory if they fail at building a consistently playoff-worthy team. If they succeed at it, they're doing something around half the NHL and fans of every other pro sports team in the state would envy.

"Purgatory". Goodness.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's the point.

Change the ownership, if you want different approach.

I don't think you need to change the ownership, you just have to bring in external guys elsewhere.

If we move Holland to the front office and promote a Holland under-study, nothing is going to change. They need to bring in fresh voices, with different philosophies in scouting/trades, etc.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
A) "We let" "We want". Come on. People wore bags over their heads in the Silverdome and nothing's changed yet.

B) It's only purgatory if they fail at building a consistently playoff-worthy team. If they succeed at it, they're doing something around half the NHL and fans of every other pro sports team in the state would envy.

"Purgatory". Goodness.

How else would you describe not being bad enough (or bold enough) to acquire elite pieces and striving to make the playoffs when you don't really have the personnel to pull it off?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad